Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affording PRS Guitars

Affording PRS Guitars

I know many of you are lovers of PRS Guitars, but I have a question: how do you afford multiple high-end PRS guitars without making a hole in your pocket?

Private Stockor even regular guitars are very expensive, or having multiple regular PRS' s is also expensive.

Do your wives ever get mad at you for buying guitars, or are you single?

save your money and work hard toward a sweet reward!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

money management!!!!!!
    I like surprises!!!

As stated above save your money and keep your eye on the prize.
    Also look for used instruments.
    My fiancee and I have an agreement regarding guitars. I am open about what I buy and I never allow it to interfere with our finances (no matter how strong the GAS gets).
    Whale Blue 2008 McCarty w./ IRW neck / DGT IRW neck incoming
    Black Slate 513 w./ IRW neck
    PRS 2 Channel H + Bogner 20th Shiva
    EBMM BFR Petrucci 7 string (IRW neck)
    EBMM Mystic Dream 6 string (IRW neck )

I also think a lot of the guys are older with good jobs. (Correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen.)

All of the above. Set a goal and save for it. I don't buy guitars on credit so saving for it is the only way for me. Also, some have a "one in one out" policy (I don't have one), but it means you can trade up and add a little cash and eventually you get to your desired guitars.

And about wives, mine got me a used Cu24AP as a wedding anniversary present this year. I got her jewelry. Both happy.

1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    I also think a lot of the guys are older with good jobs. (Correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen.)
    For me it's having a better job than before. It's helped me pick up two this year. (still waiting for the second one to get here) I feel very lucky.
    2014 PRS Mark Tremonti - 2011 PRS "Stripped" 58 - 2007 PRS McCarty Korina Brazilian - 2013 PRS SE MM Baritone - 2014 Archon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~2012 ESP Eclipse II - 2002 Gibson SG Special Faded - 2012 Taylor 414CE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of the Private Stock collections on here are insane but if you've got the money, why not?

Until we had kids, my wife and I were both working and I never had an issue affording new gear. I have to admit that since then - with bills for 4 people all coming from my salary - it's not as easy and I've done my fair share of credit buying. That's something I'm determined to stop now so all my recent purchases have been the result of consolidating by selling multiple items and using the funds to cover the full cost of a smaller - but higher quality/optimised - set of gear. Quality - not quantity is my new goal!

So ... much as I may really like the look of the new S2 Mira Semi-Hollow, I refuse to let myself buy one until I have the money. Which may be several years. But that's okay: I'm gonna get out and gig as much as I can with my band and enjoy making music with the stuff I have.
    2013 PRS Paul's Guitar, Copper Flame
    2009 PRS McCarty II, Tobacco Sunburst
    2014 Tone King Majesty 45 Head + 2x12 Cab
    Fulltone | MXR | TC Electronic | ZVex

How do I afford multiples? Well, right now I don't. I bought my three PRS guitars in my 20's when my financial responsibilities were pretty light. My priorities have been elsewhere the last few years, so I don't buy guitars for now. Some day, I'd like to. PRS are on a roll these days. I sold my CU24 to fund a different guitar that I would play more often. So in reverse, you can sell off other gear that you won't want anymore to help fund a PRS.

The used market is great, so that's the best option when your budget is tight. They're such durable guitars and people generally take great care of them.

Budget smart, be patient, and save.

I know some guys do it, but I don't support the buying of guitars without the wife's knowledge and approval.
    --Garrett--

I have a limit of two guitars (my limit not my wife's) because I don't gig and don't see the need to have more than two. Second, I stay within the SE range as I never pay over $1000 for a single guitar. Lastly, watch for sales! The SE-7 that I have my eyes on is currently on clearance at 2 GC's in my area and one of them will be mine by the weekend (barring something going wrong)!!!
    My Gear
    2014 PRS SE 245
    2013 PRS SE Custom 7
    Blackstar ID:30
    Ernie Ball ST/HB Cobalt Strings

I've worked for Guitar Center for over ten years and have no wife or kids.

That would be my description.
    Making the most money ever, and set to retire in less than five years.
    My son's are also grown, and no wife to complain on what I spend mg $$$ on.

Great topic.

I'm 37. So, I'm not "older"...at least I hope not...yet!. I do have a good job. I'm a small business owner. However, its not all about making decent money. I know plenty of people who live paycheck to paycheck while making 6 figures. Why? They eat out 3 times a week. They drive $60k cars. They insist on top flight houses and top flight stuff in them. The keys to affording any kind of luxury/hobby is living 2 or 3 steps below what you are capable of living. I could have easily afforded twice the house I am in now. Why didn't I go for twice the house? I don't have foolish pride where I have to live in an upper class area in a mansion. That isn't me. I hardly eat out. Love to cook at home. I do most of the work in and out of my house. I mow my own lawn and do my own landscaping, as opposed to a service. I keep the house slightly warm in the summer and slightly cool in the winter. I buy a new basic truck every 7 or 8 years and drive it into the ground. All of that stuff can accumulate to wads of cash in the pocket to afford things like guitars....even expensive ones. I don't go crazy. I buy about a guitar a year. My guitar this year was an MC58 in the GC clearance.

I'm a hooker.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I want my money back!

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I'm a hooker.
    I know it!!!!!
    I like surprises!!!

As for me, I don't buy new ones, I go for one owner 'used' because, believe it or not, some Core Line axes can be bought for half off retail since Austin is more Tele/Strat/Gibson territory.
    1987 Cherry Red Striped Custom 24 with Birds; 2000 Dark Cherry Sunburst McCarty w/IRW Neck
    2011 HXDA 50 and Big Mouth 2x12 Cabinet w/Stock V30's; 2014 Cherry Red MM Baritone

"That's not a 'wrong note', I'm just using it as a 'passing tone'.

Agree with others...all of the above.

Personally, I'm firmly in the 'used' camp. I almost never buy anything with a substantial price tag new (that goes for guitars, cars, stereo equipment, computers, etc.). Saving on those other items allows me more play money for guitars and gear.

Currently, quality guitars seem to be a fairly stable market/asset (I say currently, because you never know what can happen). You can buy a nice used one, try it out, and if it's not your cup of tea, sell it for close to what you paid...sometimes less, sometimes more. Obviously the key is that you actually know what you're looking at, and have the time to hunt for good deals. On PRS USA models, that can mean thousands of $'s difference between new and used in some cases. That adds up in a hurry!

I am lucky to have a decent paying job, not getting rich, but it pays well. I save up birthday gifts, Chistmas gifts, anniversary gifts, etc., and tell my wife I want a guitar instead. I don't have any other expensive hobbies, and I'm willing to trade/sell gear I have for something I want. I have a great wife who likes to see me happy. That helps a lot.
    Last edited by JustRob; 07-17-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Unintentionally called my wife a ho.

While I'm not too old, I have a good job with no wife and kids. This definitely makes it easier as I don't have to provide for others. Also as others have said I trade and often buy used gear to help cover costs.

Or you can say I'm a hooker like Les .