Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS Amp Love

PRS Amp Love

So I want to thank a few people for their help in getting my PRS amps straightened out....Kerry, Chris, Shawn, Brandon, Matt, Doug, JD, and Mike...you guys rock!!!

rebiased and retubed my HXDA combo...rebiased both the Recording Head and Paul's Amp....all sound KILLER! Plus I had help dialing in a few tones I didn't think we're possible....I love these amps!

Gotta say the Paul's Amp has quickly risen to the top of the pile......one of the best amps I have EVER played...it LOVES single coils...more people need to try it.....holds together very well even under high gain with SC....and can get nice and sparkly when you back off the volume.....if you are looking for an amp that really cuts through and meets the needs of a gigging musician across a wide variety of guitars and styles....this Amp is for you....it's the Sh!t!!!
    -Bob

I should clarify....sparkly means john frusciante type single coil tones as opposed to Blackface glassy tones..bell like might be a better term.
    -Bob

I'd love to try a Paul's Amp -- I love my HXDA and DG30, and the Paul's has to be a great piece of gear just on pedigree.

Any chance you'd post a clip?

I was really shy about posting clips for a long time, because of my playing limitations, but I think it helps everyone get their heads around how the gear sounds, something that's hard to put into words.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Les.....I'm not really set up to record adequate clips...has nothing to do with me being shy....although I can be sometimes....I think most people around here would tell you it is far harder to get me to stop playing than it is to get me to play.

Last edited by Dirty Bob; 07-20-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bob View Post
    Les.....I'm not really set up to record adequate clips...has nothing to do with me being shy....although I can be sometimes....I think most people around here would tell you it is far harder to get me to stop playing than it is to get me to play.
    Darn! I'd love to hear that amp, and there don't seem to be any around here.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Darn! I'd love to hear that amp, and there don't seem to be any around here.
    Les I think you would really dig it....it lets the character of each guitar shine through...I played a strat, a single cut with p90's, and a cu22 with 57/08TM's through it tonight and it rocked....Frusciante, to Haynes, to classic rip roaring rock....

with the Dirty switch engaged it is a very smooth thick amp....in clean mode it reminds me more of the HXDA attack wise ...at least as far as the HX mode goes....both modes are fantastic though....and the character of the amp changes drastically as you turn knobs....both the HXDA and the Recording amp also respond similarly to knob twisting....I spent some time speaking with Mike Clark recently...and although he has moved on from PRS he provided me with a wealth of ideas to achieve certain tones I was seeking,....mostly in the clean spectrum with single coils.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 07-20-2014 at 12:47 AM.
    -Bob

Bob is MORE than able to show off that amp (I've heard you. I know what you can do. ). And if you just took out your phone and took a selfie video, we'd hear that amazing amp. If I can do it, anyone can. I've set the low bar, so you don't have anything to worry about.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    if you just took out your phone and took a selfie video, we'd hear that amazing amp. If I can do it, anyone can.
    It's true. Even I learned how to make a video and upload it and I didn't graduate from high school.

Cool stuff DB. Congrats on the tweaks and such. Paul's Amp seems to be a winner. The people that have one swear by it.
    Plank Owner

And if you just took out your phone and took a selfie video, we'd hear that amazing amp.
    He could just point the phone at the amp...

...you know, so he could still buy milk at the convenience store in piece.

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    He could just point the phone at the amp...

...you know, so he could still buy milk at the convenience store in piece.

He he he
    -Bob

Bob is MORE than able to show off that amp (I've heard you. I know what you can do. ). And if you just took out your phone and took a selfie video, we'd hear that amazing amp. If I can do it, anyone can. I've set the low bar, so you don't have anything to worry about.
    Hey! I set the bar FAR lower last year...

You gotta limbo to get under my bar!
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance, but he's soooo missingpieces over them now!
    Lexicon sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Dirty Bob ......................... You gett'in called out Muh-man
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Yeah...I guess at some point I need to get a boobtube account....maybe I'll just be lazy and email a clip to Boogie...
    -Bob

maybe I'll just be lazy and email a clip to Boogie...
    There ya go!

iPads and iPhones suck for trying to capture good audio......I tried multiple clips tonight....none captured anywhere near the sound of the amp....craaap.....I either clipped the mic or played too low where you could hear me hitting the strings.....

gonna have to try again some other time during the week....

man that was a bummer.
    -Bob

Sorry to hear that!

I had good results with the rig today...the Lehle box let me split the signal into both the HXDA and the DG30. Even though my main purpose is to run one amp at a time from the same pedals without having to plug and unplug, it was cool to hear both amps at once.

Even at low volume, it was an interesting sound, since the two amps compliment one another (that part I knew from earlier one-at-a-time recording sessions.

I kept the DG relatively clean, and the HXDA relatively dirty, so there was nice clarity, and at the same time plenty of dirt. Varying the volumes of the two amps did different things. Fun to try that live as opposed to hearing it in a recording mix.

PRS amps really are the...er...stuff.

iPads and iPhones suck for trying to capture good audio......
    I could bring my little Tascam over and park it I front of the cab on a mini tripod.

Very cool DB

DB -Why did you have to retube and rebias?
    - Dane

He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.