Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by nosidamde View Post
    no one has even fought back against that quote yet.
    Give it time... it'll happen.

One of my favorite TGP quotes (the John Calkin part)...
    If there is one "curse" for being that consistently good, this is it, and it's not necessarily a bad curse to have. PRS build quality in both the construction and pickups is exceptional and extremely consistent, so everything you experience is much the same from guitar to guitar. Luthier John Calkin says that consistently superior build quality is great because you get very few, if any, less-than-stellar examples...but you create fewer outstanding guitars as well.
    If the quote is accurate it's just too funny. Is consistency a bad thing? Do outstanding guitars only happen accidentally? If all are consistently stellar and of superior build quality than why would anyone expect the rare outstanding guitar? PRS can't catch a break no matter what.

Don't despair. Mike. in that quote the poster is just suffering from zero sum mentality - the (false) idea that if you take from one end, you must take from the other as well. There is no logic in his assertion and it is demonstrably false. PRS cranks out truly outstanding guitars every day in the PS line, lots of them, without compromising the quality of the core line, or the S2 line or the SEs for that matter.

One of my guilty pleasures is spotting logical fallacies in peoples' arguments. And, on the internet, it is like shooting fish in a barrel.
    Last edited by rugerpc; 07-21-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    Thbbbt...
    Gork what your need to gork.
    Lexicon

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    One of my favorite TGP quotes (the John Calkin part)...

If the quote is accurate it's just too funny. Is consistency a bad thing? Do outstanding guitars only happen accidentally? If all are consistently stellar and of superior build quality than why would anyone expect the rare outstanding guitar? PRS can't catch a break no matter what.
    If everybody is special, then no-one is special...

But yeah, if PRS created "OK" guitars most of the time, with rare examples of really great guitars and the occasional lousy copy, and then for an extra "Custom Shop" fee you could ensure you get one of those really great guitars, then folks would be all over the PRS brand as one where you can get a really outstanding guitar, but you'll really have to search and probably pay a lot for it.

Instead they produce really great guitars all of the time, at a fair price for the quality (though this is opinion-based, I suppose), and even have a more-affordable line of really really good guitars that are a really great price for the quality. Can't win for losing...

Quote Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
    If everybody is special, then no-one is special...
    careful - you are edging close to the American T-ball argument where everyone gets a trophy....
    Thbbbt...
    Lexicon

You can blame Ed Roman for this. His diatribe about how PRS guitars weren't handmade once they switched to CNC carving is what fuels this. That switch was made roughly around the time the company moved to the new factory, which is why people think it's a selling point at all. They think it's the difference between a hand-made guitar and a "factory" (read: machine-made) guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I accidentally started a thread on TGP today about the use of the terms "pre-factory" and "pre-lawsuit" when talking about PRS guitars.
    I was reading your thread but then I accidentally the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    You should post a pic of BM so we know it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    careful - you are edging close to the American T-ball argument where everyone gets a trophy....
    My kid started drawing her actual finishing position on her 'general finisher' blue ribbons. I'm very proud of her for that.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I accidentally started a thread on TGP today about the use of the terms "pre-factory" and "pre-lawsuit" when talking about PRS guitars.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1457837
    Wait a second, how does one "accidentally" start a thread on the terms "pre-factory" and "pre-lawsuit"?
    Did you fall asleep on your keyboard and somehow by the way your head hit the keys type out the post?
    Last edited by NomadMike; 07-21-2014 at 02:52 PM.

I don't actually mind someone using the term pre-factory as I know the time frame the guitar was built right off the bat. Seeing as I like some of the features of the earlier guitars, I find it helpful even though it is not exactly accurate.

Wait a second, how does one "accidentally" start a thread on the terms "pre-factory" and "pre-lawsuit"?
    Did you fall asleep on your keyboard and somehow by the way your head hit the keys type out the post?
    Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    My kid started drawing her actual finishing position on her 'general finisher' blue ribbons. I'm very proud of her for that.
    and you should be!
    Thbbbt...
    Lexicon

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    and you should be!
    She said she would do that even if she always came in last place. Fortunately, she hasn't had to back that up yet. :P
    One Life

It was his 1000 pet monkeys at their keyboards.

They also wrote "War and Peace." But it took them longer.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-21-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Uh oh, Sergio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChlVMy9APV0

I don't know which is sadder, the commercial or that I remembered the ad campaign. But we can use it as his theme song whenever he does something accidentally.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weIFwScd21Q

Classic.

Just like you Sergio.

You even have your own groove for walking around town!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Nd53jYp4U
    Last edited by NomadMike; 07-22-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Just like you Sergio.

You even have your own groove for walking around town!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Nd53jYp4U
    Aww shucks...

Not sure that Ed Roman is entitled to express any opinion on PRS guitars. Yes he builds an amazing hand built guitar in his shop, which very few people can ever afford to own or even have access to; as for the rest of his guitars let me just say that his choice was some Indonesian schlock shop to turn out his POS's.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    It was his 1000 pet monkeys at their keyboards..
    That was Ed Roman's secret, too. Maybe mine.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

If there is one "curse" for being that consistently good, this is it, and it's not necessarily a bad curse to have. PRS build quality in both the construction and pickups is exceptional and extremely consistent, so everything you experience is much the same from guitar to guitar. Luthier John Calkin says that consistently superior build quality is great because you get very few, if any, less-than-stellar examples... but you create fewer outstanding guitars as well. .
    But he said it, and it's been repeated on the Internet so it must be true...