Thread: SE Santana vs S2 Custom 22 ?

SE Santana vs S2 Custom 22 ?

Hi All,

Please forgive my ignorance.

I really like the SE Santana but am seduced by the idea that the S2 is made in the US.

Could you help me compare - not, the looks, that I can tell - both guitars? What are the technical differences and is the price gap justified?

Thanks a lot!

[QUOTE=EricS;157953]

...is the price gap justified?
    [QUOTE]

Yep. I like the SE's. I have a few. They are the best guitars in that price range. The S2's are better. If you are just starting out and want a quality guitar to learn on, if you are gigging and want a back up, if you are gigging and want a #1 that you don't have to worry about a nick or two, if you just want a feature that isn't on a US version, you can't go wrong with an SE.

But if I was looking for one single guitar and wanted the best I could find for less than $1500 new, it would be the S2's.

Next question ... Are the core guitars worth the higher cost than the S2's?

Yep!

Look, everybody has a budget. Get the highest quality guitar you can within your budget. Even if it hurts a little. In the long run you will be happier.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I agree with the above, I didnt have a massive budget so I bought a second hand american made PRS rather than an SE. I tried out a few SE's and the quality is very good but from what I've seen the S2 are of what you would expect from an American built guitar.

Haha! I got you thinking about the S2, didn't I?

Eric, it's totally worth the extra $. Like AP515 said, the SE are fantastic guitars for the money, but the S2's are better. They play, feel, and sound much more like the core guitars we're all used to. (I play two Custom 22s).

If you can save the money, or you just want some reason to justify it, it's worth it. That's all I can say.

One main thing I've noticed I like about the US guitars over the SE's is the fret-wire. I don't even know for a fact that their any different, but I can find US models are really hard wire and smooth when bending. Some SE's I play, it just seems like maybe the wire is a little softer. It can feel like there's more friction when bending. Anyone else feel that before?

Thanks guys.

Thanks Chris. Yes, your comments about the S2 got me thinking...
    I started a few days ago with almost no knowledge of the PRS guitars and am getting a better feel now.

I can't say I'm crazy about the colors offered on the S2 series but that may be somewhat secondary... They are all the on duller/darker side.

I have both an s2 and a core cu24 . I also did have an se cu24 . The s2's are top notch and the playability is amazing. Definite keeper.
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Ibanez sir70fd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

Thanks Sleary.
    What S2 do you have? What do you think of the colors (I realize it's not a technical question ;-))?

I have the s2 cu24 in blue crab. The colours are I'd say a little lighter than what's on the website. The tops are more figured now as well. I got mine on may 15/2014 and was made may 1/2014 . The red cherry really stands out too because the store I bought mine in, got the blue crab and the red cherry. I had my heart set on that finish however if I couldn't get the red cherry ( maybe it's called black cherry lol) , I easily would have went with the black cherry.

2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Ibanez sir70fd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .