Thread: Fret buzz

Fret buzz

I'm loving my recent find a custom 24 2002. It just seems to have fret buzz on several frets on the bottom E and A strings, if I am really precise fretting and don't pick too hard it's not so bad. What's the process of elimination as it all looks in immaculate order could it be a trem spring on the lower strings over / under tightened? I am going to re string and investigate at the weekend. Any advice appreciated
    Regards
    Bob

Gary?
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobz1b View Post
    I'm loving my recent find a custom 24 2002. It just seems to have fret buzz on several frets on the bottom E and A strings, if I am really precise fretting and don't pick too hard it's not so bad. What's the process of elimination as it all looks in immaculate order could it be a trem spring on the lower strings over / under tightened? I am going to re string and investigate at the weekend. Any advice appreciated
    Regards
    Bob
    Does it buzz when you press down on any frets? Which ones? Is the nut too low? Bridge? Curve of the neck? Try to narrow it down a bit.
    Strings don't just vibrate back and forth, they go in every direction.

I found a good luthier in my area, he charges $50 for a setup and only $20 to change the nut. That includes new strings and he'd re-tweek it if I didn't like what he did based on my playing style.
    That's a great deal, considering what I'd do myself. And he's fun to chat with.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Gary?
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

If it's not the nut, it's a compromise of neck relief vs saddle height!
    Silver Holoflake CE24.
    Black "20th" Custom 24.
    White "Experience" Custom 24
    Royal Blue "25th" SE Custom 24.
    Mesa Roadster.

just checked it out and the buzz is on the bottom E and A and pretty much from the 3rd to 7th fret, do you think it maybe that it has 'bottom heavy/ top light' strings on it ?? I will re-string it this weekend with standard 009`s is that what they are originally supplied with?
    Ref the adjustments, I can do a bit but am no expert but would a truss rod adjustment throw the other 4 strings out? and are the saddle adjustments more for intonation ? As I said earlier, no signs of wear on the nut and the guitar is in stunning condition. I only notice it if I`m playing without an amp

thanks for the posts and the advice, keep it coming

PRS Tech, setting up PRS guitars. He is fast som pause a lot and do a rethinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV8kMUB8n4c