Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Why are the 57/08s not for sale by themselves?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    36

    Why are the 57/08s not for sale by themselves?

    It seems like most of the others are available in the store, but not these.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jimistephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rogers Ar
    Posts
    296
    You can get them installed through PTC. I saw a video of Paul talking about this issue and he basically said if you have a product that really sets you sound apart from every one else out there, why would you want to readily make it available for any one to put in their guitars and get close (not the same but close) to that sound.
    I gave that pitch some vibrato, pitches love vibrato.

    THE MOST OKAYEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD!!!

  3. #3
    Name Manglin' Putz alantig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,710
    I thought it was the popularity of the "Buy Two Pickups, Get A Free Guitar" promotion.
    Alan

    "I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

  4. #4
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistephen View Post
    You can get them installed through PTC. I saw a video of Paul talking about this issue and he basically said if you have a product that really sets you sound apart from every one else out there, why would you want to readily make it available for any one to put in their guitars and get close (not the same but close) to that sound.
    That at would make sense if he didn't sell the 59/09s, but they are essentially the same pickups just slightly different output.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    Powered by Friedman

  5. #5
    Senior Member jimistephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rogers Ar
    Posts
    296
    I know, but different output is a different sound, even if it's just a little bit.

    You also have to remember, the wire on them is different, not much different, but different enough. The 57/08 is most like the wire used in 1957, the 59/09 is most like what was used in 1959 and 53/10 is most like the wire in 1953. While not a lot of different, different enough to be classified that way.

    I think the main reason is that the wire for the 57/08 is also used in the Narrowfield (when they were still made) and the 408's and a few other I think. It seems they just use more of that wire for their own pickups and it might just be a simple supply and demand thing. They don't have the supply on hand to make just pickups to sell.
    Last edited by jimistephen; 07-27-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    I gave that pitch some vibrato, pitches love vibrato.

    THE MOST OKAYEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD!!!

  6. #6
    Member Johnnyboy94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeast-central Florida
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    I thought it was the popularity of the "Buy Two Pickups, Get A Free Guitar" promotion.

    LOL! Love that!
    PRS SE Angelus Standard w/Piezo
    PRS Santana SE (Custom 22 w/Santana Headstock Inlay)
    Fender T-Bucket 300CE Acoustic-ElectricFender Mustang I
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    I'm in the"buy all the prs guitars you can afford" camp.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistephen View Post
    I know, but different output is a different sound, even if it's just a little bit.

    You also have to remember, the wire on them is different, not much different, but different enough. The 57/08 is most like the wire used in 1957, the 59/09 is most like what was used in 1959 and 53/10 is most like the wire in 1953. While not a lot of different, different enough to be classified that way.

    I think the main reason is that the wire for the 57/08 is also used in the Narrowfield (when they were still made) and the 408's and a few other I think. It seems they just use more of that wire for their own pickups and it might just be a simple supply and demand thing. They don't have the supply on hand to make just pickups to sell.
    Interesting... I didn't even know they weren't making the Narrowfields anymore!

  8. #8
    Senior Member jimistephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rogers Ar
    Posts
    296
    There's nothing in the current lineup with them. I assume they're not being sold through the online store as only a few guitars had them to begin with.
    I gave that pitch some vibrato, pitches love vibrato.

    THE MOST OKAYEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •