Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JAMUP Pro - Miami Vice Crockett's Theme Lead

OK, just downloaded JamUp Pro XT and Bias to my PC via iTunes.
    Found an App listing under the music area on the left, and indeed they are on my PC.

iPad shipped today, Amazon says Monday delivery, but that could change to Friday if it gets out a little quicker today.

Another quick question, what are you using to hear your guitar with, headphone, or running them to speakers?
    My studio monitors are KRK Rokit 5, and I have a cable that has the 1/8" headphone plug that splits to two TRS 1/4" cables to go to each speaker.

I also have two sets of these 5.1 systems from 2002 or so.
    Logitech Z680 5.1 Computer Speakers (5-Speaker, Silver)

One set is on my PC tower, the other one is hooked to my TV.
    The speakers may be older, but if you have ever heard the Z680s, they rock.
    Watching Blu-Rays or TV, the bass can shake the place if you have the volume up.
    I think these speakers were ahead of their time when they came out, and they are loud and clear.

I could also run the headphone out cable from the JamUp Plug directly the control module as seen in the picture above for the Z680s.

Anyway you can also run to a clean channel on a guitar amp, or is it best to stick with the KRK monitors or the Z680s?

I would say definitely not the clean channel of an amp - way too much colorization by the amp circuit. If you dial in a tone on the iPad, you want it as faithfully produced as you can. Otherwise you're tweaking the tone for the amp to sound good, and you take the iPad somewhere with that amp and boom! tone don't work so well. I would think the KRK or Z680s, or actually perhaps both. Dial up a tone that sounds good on both of them and you have something more portable. I do that with home recording. Initial mix balanced between headphones & my KRKs, then bounce to mp4 and listen on iPod, home stereo, car stereo, etc. As many as I can find so that I can mix more generically so it sounds the same on all.

First time I mixed something with just the KRKs and listened to it the next morning in car on way to work I was like "OMG! What happened? This sounds awful!". I had to learn to EQ for the masses rather than just the reference device.

So if you're looking at this as a portable amp rig, you want it usable in as many settings as you may need it.

I run mine to my portable PA (Yamaha StagePas 300).

I only use my ATH-M50 headphones, I did connect it to my Lynx 50 clean channel once and it sounded great too, but if I'm going to use the real amp I'd rather use my real pedals too

i have a pair of Rokit 5 too, but they're permanently connected to my DAW interface, one of these days I'm going to try recording something direct to the DAW, never done that!

Another decent video.
    This guy is using an adapter called iRig, not the JamUp plug like I bought.
    They all do the same thing I guess.

It also looks like you can record with this and send it directly to Sound Cloud which is pretty cool.
    I might do that and post a few samples in the other thread where members share their stuff.

All my stuff is suppose to arrive today, so it is going to be a busy weekend testing it all out and getting use to the iPad.

I use the iRig and it works just fine. I plug into an OLD crappy pair of Roland powered monitors($60ish new) and it sounds great. Also use my earbuds with iPhone and sounds great

I got it to work, I Googled and found the iPads mic has to be turned on, and I was in the wrong area of the app when playing the guitar, you have to select another tab first.
    Messed around with it for around 20 minutes this morning via headphones, and it sounded pretty good.
    I learned from trail and error you should leave the noise gate on at all times, and have it first in the chain.

One thing though, since this is a paid app, I do not have access to all of the amps, many of them are grayed out.
    I suppose they want more $$$ to unlock them?

Also see there is a setting to choose headphones or external speakers, so next time I fire it up I will try my Rokit 5 monitors.
    Overall I was pretty impressed with the sounds, and even the tape delay sounds very good.
    I mainly played with the Treadplate (Mesa Dual Rectifier) and metal setting, lots of nice high gain.

First attempt at using the recorder built into the app.
    It sounds pretty bad over computer speakers, lots of rattling, it sounded way better with the headphones, not sure what happened unless the gain in the recorder was turned up to much, but I think it was half way.
    https://soundcloud.com/coreytan/firs...up-pro-xt-test

Sounds like the computer speakers are getting saturated and overdriving themselves. I'm curious to hear it from the KRKs.

The recording came straight from the JamPro app while I used headphones to play with.
    Then I just uploaded it after I grabbed if off the iPad while docked to my PC.

Brought the iPad to work and ran it through a small creative stereo speaker system I use with the iPod while we stretch here, and it was distorted too.
    I am sure there is a workaround, will have to read up on their forums.

Just a guess, but maybe you had that overall level control set too high?(the slider bar in the upper right)

They just released a new video yesterday on expansion apps.

PS, I noticed he was using one of these for the iPad, pretty cool.
    http://us.focusrite.com/ipad-audio-i...s/itrack-dock#

Will not work with mine since I am using the Zaag keyboard and cover.

My iPad was my main practice amp for a good long while, but I mainly used GarageBand. Check it out if you haven't already as it's pretty feature rich and really inexpensive.

I paid $5 dollars for the full one, great practice and writing tool with plenty of amp sims along with keyboards and drums. They must have changed how they sell it.

Here is the info on the current free Garage Band.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gara...408709785?mt=8
    Plug an electric guitar into your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch and play through classic amps and stompbox effects.
    Requires one-time in-app purchase for the complete collection of GarageBand instruments and sounds.
    Now with the drums, do you just play them with your fingers on the screen, or can you actually have drum kits running while you plug in and play your guitar too?