Thread: Dragon Pickups

Dragon Pickups

Hello PRS World: Can anyone tell me if Dragon pickups from the 1990's are seen as that desirable, etc. I am trying to get info on them. Thanks much.

Yes. Yes they are desirable.

One of my favorite guitars is a CE22 with Dragon 1's.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Dragon 1's are the jam. Seriously!!!! I have a pair in my CE24 and they are fantastic and in a league of their own compared to other PRS pickups. One word....PUNCH!
    1995 CE24 Maple Top Purple/1999 McCarty Rosewood 10 Top Whale Blue/2011 DGT 10 Top Tobacco Sunburst/ 2011 408 MT Quilt Faded Blue Jean/ 2013 Paul's Guitar Yellow Tiger/2013 Private Stock DC245 Zombie Fade 1 /2007 NOS McCarty Soapbar Brazilian Grandma Hannon Pink

Here is a great demo for the Dragon 1's vs the Dragon 2's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDSwMobENY

Personally after watching it I can't tell if I love the Dragon 1's or just hate the Dragon 2's

How can two pickups with the same name sake sound so different? Did PRS get drunk and lose the recipe? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by windsongstudios View Post
    Dragon 1's are the jam. Seriously!!!! I have a pair in my CE24 and they are fantastic and in a league of their own compared to other PRS pickups. One word....PUNCH!
    That.
    Plank Owner

Played PRS since 1991.

But like the more recent pickups a lot more. To each his/her own.

There's always spirited debate on stuff like pickups...
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I LOVE dragon 1s, I have them in a ce22 that just rocks. I also have a set of drag 1s just waiting for the next "project". If you are patient you could find a set on ebay or VR 200-250.

This ce22 I have is about how it feels when I play it as much as how it sounds.
    Last edited by gush; 08-01-2014 at 12:41 AM.

My two mains are 1996 Custom 22s bone stock with Dragon 1s. I'd murder over them and am always on the hunt for another when the funding is available.

Dragon I's are desirable pickups....I happen to love them.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CJM3175 View Post
    Here is a great demo for the Dragon 1's vs the Dragon 2's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDSwMobENY

Personally after watching it I can't tell if I love the Dragon 1's or just hate the Dragon 2's

How can two pickups with the same name sake sound so different? Did PRS get drunk and lose the recipe? :-/

That guy is playing with a lot of overdrive and a heavy style at the beginning, and thats where the Dragon 1s are better. But the cleans and articulation are far better with the Dragon 2s, which I like MUCH more. Its all a matter of what style and kind of music you play. For blues, jazz, and classic rock, the Dragon 2s are much more vintage sounding, which is what I prefer. For heavy rock, punk and metal styles, I would agree most would prefer the Dragon 1s. In any case, the 57/08s lay them both to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    In any case, the 57/08s lay them both to waste.
    That we can both agree on

Quote Originally Posted by RichThewlis777 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if Dragon pickups from the 1990's are seen as that desirable, etc. I am trying to get info on them. Thanks much.
    Hey, Rich. Welcome to the PRS Forum. I think your question has two parts to it. In short, Dragon I pickups are desirable. Basic economics dictates: The shorter the supply the greater the demand. So, "collectible" or "desirable" does not necessarily equate to "good". However, in this case...it does because Dragon I pickups sound fantastic. They do lend themselves well to heavier music but they're just good sounding pickups...period. The Dragon I Treble (like the Santana treble, HFS, Tremonti treble, etc) have a ceramic magnet in them. That has a different, more modern, sound/attack than an alnico magnet. Some people prefer that (I do) and some don't. As with anything...the person playing, pickup height, amp, pedals, personal preference, playing style, and many other variables make a difference. Try the Dragon Is for yourself and let us know what you think. They rip!

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    I only have one guitar with Dragon 1's, a 1996 Custom 22, and it is a beast! Great for high gain applications. For hard rock and metal, you'd be hard pressed to find better IMHO.

They also clean up well for such a high output pickup, particularly the bridge pup. The neck D1 is nice and round with a very fat thump when played clean or with lower gain. I LOVE them, some don't but that is just the nature of the beast I reckon.

Give them a try, worse case scenario, you can sell them fairly easily for a pretty penny... \m/

The Dragon 1's are probably the best pickups I've ever used and I've tried just about everything.
    I'm not really a low output pup kind of guy (I do like the Gibby 57 Classics though) and find that if I need low output I can just turn the guitar down to 8 or 9. I like having that extra oomph on tap.
    I play mostly Classic and Progressive Rock stuff and Dragons cover every sound I need and always sound beautiful. They split very well also.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    That.

Haha...thank you Sir.

1995 CE24 Maple Top Purple/1999 McCarty Rosewood 10 Top Whale Blue/2011 DGT 10 Top Tobacco Sunburst/ 2011 408 MT Quilt Faded Blue Jean/ 2013 Paul's Guitar Yellow Tiger/2013 Private Stock DC245 Zombie Fade 1 /2007 NOS McCarty Soapbar Brazilian Grandma Hannon Pink