Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm a Bad Person: I like new PRSi better!

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    That said, I'm not a V12 fan.
    Curious why. Look? Tone? Feel?
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Curious why. Look? Tone? Feel?
    Nothing nefarious. I just preferred the harder poly finish.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by t.shamone View Post
    Right Sergio?
    Well... That's 'cause your 94 CU24 has Roots!!!!

The guitar I play most right now is from 2008(I think?) but I want it to be an old guitar.. if that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Nothing nefarious. I just preferred the harder poly finish.
    Interesting. We all have our favorites.

I like the V12, have no reason to criticize the poly however.

But my new favorite finish is the nitro they're using now. I have no idea what the effect on the tone is, though it might play a role; mainly I like the subtle sheen and feel of it.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

It's not a Gibson, new PRS are better .
    PRS Custom-24 10-Top Black Gold, Stripped 58 Blue Multi Foil
    Taylor T5-S Red Edgeburst, GS Mini Mahogany

PRS couldn't even rope me in until they released the Mira & Starla models, so I'm obviously of the "new=better" camp. The pickups since about 2008 have been especially great, and many of the other design tweaks have been very good - I really like V12, personally.

I think some guys don't like being told that they're buying the latest/greatest/most innovative "ultimate tone machine" only to be told with the next innovation that "now THIS one is the ultimate tone machine!" - PRS market stuff a bit like technology sometimes that way, whereas guitars transcend that... but it is what it is and a nice guitar in right hands will never not be a nice guitar.

What G*bson does is the opposite - every model year they release an "even more authentic" repro of the models they are resting their laurels on...
    Last edited by Whitecat; 08-05-2014 at 04:15 AM.
    PS Starla (burnt orange smokeburst), Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, 2011 'Stripped' 58 (goldtop)

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    I'm with Sergio and some others in that I fell in love with PRS in the early 1990s, my first being my long-lost Cherry Sunburst CU24 with moons. Hell, I don't know if it was even a 10-top or not, not even a pic of her from my college days survived.

I will always associate PRS with the feel of the wide-thin neck, the wings, the rotary, and the squeal of the HFS.

But as I age (albeit NOT like a fine wine) and find myself playing with less gain, I appreciate the clarity and open-ness of the 5x/0x and 408s a bunch. So my heart sides with my 1991 CU24, and the rest of me takes the newer stuff and runs...
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2012 NF3
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow | 2014 S2 CU22 Semi-Hollow

I just got the 408 last week (Wide thin, 10 top) and so I've got all 6 of them on the rack, ABing them back and forth. I have to agree, the 91 with the sweet switch engaged thru a Zendrive/Mosferatu combination (very high gain, smooth overdrive) sounds REALLY good. Clean, though, and especially for bluesy neck pickup sounds the 408 just nails it better. I think it's going to be my new favorite!

I like the rotary switch, winged tuners, sweet switches, and the sometimes odd tops & faded finishes of the older CU24s. I don't need innovation when the older ones do exactly what I want them to do. That doesn't make the newer ones bad in any way, just not what I need. The one exception for me is a 07 CU22 but of course there have been a lot of changes since that was built. The nice thing is that there are great options out there for all of us.

I think one huge improvement is the choices you get with the Artist packs. That is fantastic!!!!!