Thread: Discolored Bridge on Custom 24

Discolored Bridge on Custom 24

Hi all,

I got a PRS Custom 24 from GuitarGuitar.co.uk in Jan last year and I've just noticed that the bridge is starting to lose it's color.

I don't play in any bands at the moment and have pretty much only used this guitar at home, so I'm a little worried that this will continue to get worse even though it hasn't seen a lot of use.

Has anybody else experienced this as well?
    Thanks,
    Callan

Nickel plating is very soft relative to other plating types, and sometimes wears off depending on body chemistry, etc. Paul believes that the different platings have different sounds, which is why he doesn't use chromium.

That looks like normal wear from where you rest your hand.

You might minimize it by wiping the bridge down when you're through playing. I wouldn't worry about it.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

friction + acidity = bye bye plating. There is no plating that doesn't eventually succumb to this. Some plating is more durable than others but your playing style and PH of your skin oil dictates how long it will last. I personally like the look of raw brass.

Keep at it and you'll have the much desired all brass saddles! I'm working on my 513...

Thanks for the replies!
    Next string change I'll have a look at rotating the saddles and try and get them all looking the same over the next few years
    Cheers,

All I see is a PRS that's been played!

On my '94 Custom, I noticed after a few months of ownership that the saddles had started to discolor. At first I tried polishing them with a toothbrush and Brasso, then a Dremel felt tip with some polishing cream. It brightened up for a few weeks, but then it would discolor again. Eventually I realized that I was trying to un-do natural relic-ing that some folks were paying large $$ for Fender to do on their behalf, and I just let it happen. Doesn't bother me now, almost 20 years later.

Same here, means your PRS didn'T spend the last 20 years in it'S case

Quote Originally Posted by Callan View Post
    Thanks for the replies!
    Next string change I'll have a look at rotating the saddles and try and get them all looking the same over the next few years
    Cheers,
    More trouble than it's worth, if you ask me (you didn't). That's the normal wear pattern on the low E and A. The part of the bridge plate next to the low E will start to go, too.
    --Garrett--