Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it blasphemy to hang my PRS 10 Top on a wall not in case?

Is it blasphemy to hang my PRS 10 Top on a wall not in case?

I've seen guitars hung in nice glass-covered cases. I am not looking to do that.

I just acquired a PRS McCarty 10 Top. Before this, I had two Epiphones (G400 and Dot Studio) each worth about $200 apiece.

I had those guitars hanging on wall exposed, on this kind of hook:

http://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-C...s=guitar+mount

Now that I've got a guitar worth maybe 10 times as much, that somehow feels "wrong" to me, yet I love to look at my guitar, like it's a piece of art. Also, I love the accessibility of just being able to grab a guitar off the hanger and start playing. It's just very practical / efficient compared to opening a case. I guess I'm wondering if hanging a guitar like this over time can hurt the neck or something? I have been doing this for about 2 years with my Epiphones and never noticed anything.

Thanks,

Ken
    https://soundcloud.com/kenmyers-1

If I had a glass case that was temperature and humidity controlled - I'd hang my guitar in a heartbeat!
    2013 PRS Custom 24 - Charcoal Burst Quilt - 57/08
    Ibanez SR650 Poplar Burl 4 string bass
    Carvin Cobalt Acoustic
    Douglas 7 String

I hang mine and have for over two years. No issue at all. temperature controlled cases are not necessary. Hang that sucker and play it!
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Defender of the Universe HANGAR18's Avatar
    Make sure your hanger is rated to be nitro safe. I use Hercules hangers and stands exclusively.
    Then, PLAY THE GUITAR!
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Hanging guitars? Novel concept!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	404883397.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	1370

Name:	404883401.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	1371

Back when I was insane…

Name:	339131616.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	1372
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

You do realize that many many guitars spend weeks/months/years on hangers in music stores without temp controlled cases? Add in the fact most chain stores do not wipe guitars down after someone sites for 4 hours playing Sweet Child of Mine ad nauseam. It just goes back on the hanger tarnishing from the sweat/oils from non-buyer's hands. Nothing grosser than picking up a guitar with strings that are starting to evolve into a new life form!

BTW - Mine hang on the wall without a case - but I DO wipe/clean them after I play.

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Hanging guitars? Novel concept!

Name:	404883397.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	1370

Name:	404883401.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	1371

Back when I was insane…

Hang 'em high
    Mine are Hercules and screwed into the wall studs.
    Mine are cased though during the week with the exception of the little Ferandes.
    The others come out on Fridays when I get home from work.

Dear Mr. Jmintzer,

If you no longer have all those guitars then that is what makes you insane!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    I hang mine and have for over two years. No issue at all. temperature controlled cases are not necessary. Hang that sucker and play it!
    It is if you have a moist basement.
    2013 PRS Custom 24 - Charcoal Burst Quilt - 57/08
    Ibanez SR650 Poplar Burl 4 string bass
    Carvin Cobalt Acoustic
    Douglas 7 String

Quote Originally Posted by JRod4928 View Post
    It is if you have a moist basement.
    I guess if that's the only place you have to hang them. or you could use dehumidifiers to control the environment.
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

I leave my 10 top out of the case constantly. Its usually laying on whatever piece of furniture I was using the last time I played it. Hanging sounds like an improvement

Defender of the Universe HANGAR18's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Back when I was insane…

You have more PRS guitars than a number of Guitar Centers I know of. hahahaha Kinda like having your own guitar store.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

I say: "Hang dem Beeches"
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Dup! I guess that was a dumb question... Somehow did not connect how guitars are hung up in shops to what I do in my home... Now I will put on a dunce hat and sit in corner... Silver lining is, as I sit in the corner, I can look at my pretty PRS hanging on the wall.

Ken

Hang them the way they look the best. (Just have to be a bit more careful when putting them back up on these type of hangers)

I keep the room at 40-50% humidity and around 70 degrees.

I have all mine out on hangers too!! Makes me play them more often I think...
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

Do what makes you happy.

I don't hang mine, because I like to have the case buffer the temperature and humidity variations that happen in a room (especially high up in a room), and I even keep the room where they're cased humidified in winter.

It works for me, causes less worry, and is cheaper because they rarely need a setup. Also tends to prevent dings and dents.

But an instrument is all about making yourself happy and having a means of musical expression. So however that works best for you isn't a bad thing.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I started hanging my PRSi last year... well all of my guitars really. Since hung, I play ALOT more as they are easier to access. They are in the room I practice in and the only things in that room are music related so the kids know to be careful with everything in the room. In an effort to foster interest in music they also know that with permission (kids are 5 and 7) they are welcome to play with them when I am there.

I use the hangers you posted. The String Swing hangers have not affected the finish of my poly or V12 guitars so if you have those, you shouldn't have to worry.

I have never kept my guitars in cases, I don't believe in it if they are out they get played I had all of mine either hung or on a stand. Only time they went in a case was when they were transported or being sold.