Thread: THE VENTURES

THE VENTURES

How many of you fine guitar pluckin gents got your start in playing guitar by listening to the VENTURES ??

Can't say that I got my start listening to the Ventures, but I certainly love listening to them these days and playing some of their great surf tunes.

Count me in. The very first thing I learned on guitar was "Pipeline."

Life was twangy for me in 1966.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 06-24-2012 at 01:27 PM.

The ventures copped pipeline from the CHANTAYS,who wrote it and recorded it.....WALK don't run was the biggy for the ventures!!!!! Can you tell me who wrote it and originally played it; HINT....his name is one that we all use alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started out with Beatles tunes, but I remember having a "Play with the Ventures" instructional record back in the 60's. I believe "Pipeline" was on it.
    Do you guys recall a 1967 tune by the Arrows named "Blues Theme" ? It kind of reminds me of the Ventures stuff. I played it back then and thought it was way cool.

DAVEY ALLEN and the ARROWS---NANCY SINATRA was in the movie with peter fonda!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluefade View Post
    The ventures copped pipeline from the CHANTAYS,who wrote it and recorded it.....WALK don't run was the biggy for the ventures!!!!! Can you tell me who wrote it and originally played it; HINT....his name is one that we all use alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chet Atkins is who you're thinking of, but Johnny Smith wrote the original. I knew the Chet Atkins part but had to look up Johnny Smith.

I haven't posted this picture in a while. Does this look like we could have been influenced by The Ventures? I'm the middle guitar player ... in 1962.

Last edited by wilerty; 06-24-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Quote Originally Posted by wilerty View Post
    I haven't posted this picture in a while. Does this look like we could have been influenced by The Ventures? I'm the middle guitar player ... in 1962.

I love that! My band didn't look much different in 1965, except that I played keys.

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    wilerty--that's a great pic! Love the matching Jazzmaster and Bass VI, and the blonde amps. I started playing in '62 with folk music because that's what my teacher taught, but I wanted to play electric from the start. It took me a couple of years to get that first electric, but one of the first tunes I learned on my acoustic, along with Tom Dooley and the like, was Wipeout, and then Walk Don't Run. I still love that stuff...

Great music, my dad turned me on to them well before I started playing. Can't say it had anything to do with me playing guitar, but great songs either way.

I was a drummer until I heard "Walk Don't Run". I sold my drums and bought a Jazzmaster!