Thread: Pickups for SE Custom Mushok baritone

Pickups for SE Custom Mushok baritone

Interested on getting some feedback on a bridge pickup for the custom Mushok baritone I'm finishing up. Ive got 2 other modded Mushoks (silver burst and brown burst)... one with a USA Tremonti set and one with a SD custom and jazz combo. Ive got several axes with Tremonti's in them so I've always fond of the clarity and aggressiveness of those pups. Definitely wanna keep the clarity and aggressiveness in the new baritone but would have grown tired of opting for the Tremonti's. Our band plays hard melodic rock much in the vain of BB, Sevendust, etc... range from Drop-C to A#.

Brownburst Mushok we filled in the neck pickup hole and the pickup selector and finished the body with a black polyurethane satin with cream binding. Phase II locking tuners, USA bridge, CTS pots, new wiring harness, graphtech saddles, custom bone nut, clear lampshade tone and volume knobs, A# in Daddario 68-14s.

[/IMG]

Last edited by Coldvisions34; 09-29-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Wow! Badass!!

You like hotter pickups made with 43 gauge wire and ceramic magnets. So, maybe a PRS HFS? Or Dragon 1 if you can find one? DiMarzio Tone Zone or Super Distortion? Bare Knuckle seems to be a top choice for hot pickup fans, they have several to choose from.
    The Bovine Fury <-- New Album Yes, Please available NOW!
    05 Custom 22 / 07 Mira / 08 Baritone SE / 03 Santana SE

@John Beef yeah definately would like to check out a couple of the Bareknuckles in the medium to high output range. I've only played the Painkiller and the War Pig on some 7-strings an liked them. Very articulate and punchy. Not really a fan of the HFS, came stock on my Clint Lowery SE and was pretty muddy through my Triamp MkII and Dual Rec. Haven't played anything with a Dragon I in it. Didn't care too much for the Dragon II for the stuff we do. Its was great for blues and jazz.

Id put a 59/09 in there. Ive got a 59/09 set in my Silverburst and it kills. Best pickup I've had in it and I've had various DiMarzios, Seymours, BKPs and EMGs. PRS 59/09s seem to be the best pickups in that guitar for low tunings.
    2008 PRS SE Mike Mushok Model Silverburst (On the bench awaiting USA Electronics and some hardware mods)
    2012 PRS Mark Tremonti Model Solana Burst 10 Top (Stock apart from Schaller Strap Locks)
    2013 PRS SE Tremonti Custom Whale Blue (Di Marzio Crunch Lab/PRS McCarty Bass)
    Follow me on Twitter: @ESPImperium

Quote Originally Posted by ESPImperium View Post
    Id put a 59/09 in there. Ive got a 59/09 set in my Silverburst and it kills. Best pickup I've had in it and I've had various DiMarzios, Seymours, BKPs and EMGs. PRS 59/09s seem to be the best pickups in that guitar for low tunings.
    Yeah I would like to try the 59/09s, def heard good things about them.
    USA Custom 24 Charcoal Burst - Tremonti Custom SE Grey Black
    Mike Mushok SE Silverburst.- Mike Mishok SE Brownburst
    Mike Mushok SE Custom Seafoam Green - SE 7 string custom shop
    Korina Singlecut SE - Archon 100w

Quote Originally Posted by ESPImperium View Post
    I would like to try that. I put an 8K fralin in the neck of mine which sounds fantastic. But in the bridge pickup spot, I have had the SE pickup, the SE pickup with a UOA5 magnet, a HFS, a HFS with a UOA5 magnet, a Duncan SH-14, the Suhr SSV+ I have in there now, and I'm pretty sure a couple others I'm forgetting about. The SSV+ has alnico 5, wound to 10K with 42 gauge wire. It's a great pickup, but I wish I could coax a little more beef out of the low end. Having just put a 59/09 in the bridge of my Santana SE, I can say that 59/09s bring some beef. And I'm all about the Beef, obviously.
    The Bovine Fury <-- New Album Yes, Please available NOW!
    05 Custom 22 / 07 Mira / 08 Baritone SE / 03 Santana SE

Junior Member Christopher Horton's Avatar
    I would try the 6 string version of the Nazgul/Sentient by Duncan. They are especially made to stay articulate under heavy gain and lower tunings.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Horton View Post
    I would try the 6 string version of the Nazgul/Sentient by Duncan. They are especially made to stay articulate under heavy gain and lower tunings.
    Yeah good call man, tried a 7-string loaded with a Nazgul through an EVH 5150iii. Was able to get a wide range of tones from it, loved it. Ordered a set and then another single Nazgul for the baritone!
    USA Custom 24 Charcoal Burst - Tremonti Custom SE Grey Black
    Mike Mushok SE Silverburst.- Mike Mishok SE Brownburst
    Mike Mushok SE Custom Seafoam Green - SE 7 string custom shop
    Korina Singlecut SE - Archon 100w