Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My strings are buzzing like hell

Hi, first post so please be gentle

I aquired a Bernie Marsden SE about six months ago which I'm very happy with (exchanged for a Les Paul Tribute) - when the guitar arrived I adjusted the truss rod slightly to improve the action.
    Recently I changed the strings for Ernie Ball 10s and suddenly I am getting excessive fret buzz all over the neck. I'm not sure why this is as the guitar came with 10s fitted.
    Couple of questions; Do I need to readjust the truss rod slightly to accomodate the new strings and what strings would have been fitted on the guitar when I bought it? I know the string ends were colour coded if that's any help.
    Appreciate any help/comments

You will find that strings from different manufacturers will change the set up on your guitar, even if you are using the same gauge strings. You would think one set of 10's would have the same string tension as a set of 10's from another brand, but that is not always the case. Find your favorite brand and gauge of strings, set up your guitar accordingly and stick with those strings. That is the easiest way to keep your set up spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    You will find that strings from different manufacturers will change the set up on your guitar, even if you are using the same gauge strings. You would think one set of 10's would have the same string tension as a set of 10's from another brand, but that is not always the case. Find your favorite brand and gauge of strings, set up your guitar accordingly and stick with those strings. That is the easiest way to keep your set up spot on.
    Thanks Shawn. To be honest I quite liked the strings that came on the guitar when it was delivered but I couldn't identify them at my local music shop. Do you know if these are PRS own brand?

Quote Originally Posted by jknight View Post
    Thanks Shawn. To be honest I quite liked the strings that came on the guitar when it was delivered but I couldn't identify them at my local music shop. Do you know if these are PRS own brand?
    "Color Coded" ends sounds like D'addario strings to me. A set of XL 10-46's would be a standard set. PRS uses D'addario's rebranded as PRS strings (without the color coded ends).

And congratulations an getting the Bernie. Great guitar.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Thanks for the advice.
    Really pleased with the Bernie. On a limited budget I bought a Les Paul Tribute and struggled with keeping in tune and general playability for months. I tried the Bernie in a local shop and for the money I thought it was a much better guitar both in sound and playability. So I'm now a convert

The SE's are generally strung with D'addario 9 - 42's