Thread: Need Info on Locking Tuners for an SE Semi-Hollow Body

Don - Studio Musician cobrafast1's Avatar

Need Info on Locking Tuners for an SE Semi-Hollow Body

Hi Everyone. I just joined this forum. I belong to several regarding music. I find the most informative.

Question: I just purchased a new PRS SE Semi-Hollow Body and I'd like to put some locking tuners in it.

I have Sperzel Locking tuners on my Fender Strat and my Parker Fly Deluxe. They're great.

What's the best tuner for the SE that is either uses the existing screw hole or covers it up, so it does not show? I'm kind of a fanatic on ethetics of guitars.

Any help and experience is appreciated. Please tell me how you eliminated, covered up or reused the little screw hole on the stock tuners.

Thanks so very much.

Last edited by cobrafast1; 07-08-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Grover locking mini rotomatics, model 406c, use the same screw hole and everything. Got a set on my SE Custom and they're great!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    The used SE EG I picked up recently has Grovers which I understand are a direct replacement; not sure what model they are though, they seem very stable. Hopefully someone else knows the model
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers

Great suggestions so far. Keep them coming. I like to get as much info as I can to make the right decision.

Thanks to all.
    PRS SE Semi-Hollow Body - Parker Fly Deluxe - American Fender Stratocaster
    Carvin Quad-X Amp - Carvin Tube 100 - (2) Roctron Intellifex - Gibson EchoPlex
    Mesa Express Pluss 5:25 - Marshall MG100HFX - Egnater Rebel 20 - DODFX54 Attacker - VFE Distortion 3
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    Grover locking mini rotomatics, model 406c, use the same screw hole and everything. Got a set on my SE Custom and they're great!
    +1
    One Life

I have some Gotoh locking tuners on my SE I believe the are the MLB-3 model. No need for new holes and work just fine until I find some winged tuners to replace them.

I had the shop I just got my SE Santana from install Planet Waves Autotrim tuners.
    They had to drill a new screw hole though and fill the old ones in that were showing.

Wish they were a direct fit like these Grover ones mentioned here, but I like the feature where the Autotrims cut the string for you.

I have Sperzels on my SE Custom. I've got stock tuners replaced by a local luthier. To install Sperzels you have to drill additional holes. The existing ones were filled with a mysterious black substance (Prometheus anybody?). You can still see them but it's not like in your face difference. If I'm ever going to purchase another SE I'd go for mentioned Schallers, because Music Man and Fender use them in their high end guitars (Petrucci sig, and Am Deluxe Strat). Cheers

I put this one on the SE SC, as stated by Andy, it's a drop in and works great. I think Schaller or Srperzel has a drop in model also.

+1 on the Grovers

Well everyone. I ordered a set of Schallers the other day and they arrived. They look great. I haven't had a chance to mount them yet, but will in the next day or two. I liked the Schallers because the are very similar to the Sperzels and have the little tab for the screw to use the existing hole. Should be a direct drop in.

I'll give a report after I install them.

Thanks to everyone that participated in this thread. I really appreciate the input and the suggestions.
    Last edited by cobrafast1; 07-24-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Mesa Express Pluss 5:25 - Marshall MG100HFX - Egnater Rebel 20 - DODFX54 Attacker - VFE Distortion 3
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

Well, today I replaced the stock tuning machines with the Schallers. This was the easiest replacement I've ever done. The Schallers fit perfectly. I reused the original screws for the alignment tabs. Perfect fit. Lined up perfectly just like it was supposed to be. I really like the the Schallers a bit better than the Sperzels I have on my other two guitars. The locking knob is fatter and feels better to tighten.

I won't replace the Sperzels, because there are alignment pins on those and a bit cleaner look on the back of the head. But I'm super happy with the Schallers on the PRS Semi-Hollow Body. Just remove the old and drop in the new. Perfect fit. Thanks Schaller and PRS for using a standard fit tuning machines.
    Last edited by cobrafast1; 07-24-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

I thought I'd add a photo of the head with the new Schallers the guitar. Absolutely a perfect fit.

Last edited by cobrafast1; 07-30-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

very nice, what is the exact model of these schallers?
    regards
    Dave
    prs se custom 24.

I have Schaller locking tuners on my SE One

The sticker on the box says:

M6CH I.-Locking
    3 left + 3right
    Chrome

Machine Polished

The 2900 is inside a bordered box under the "Machine Polished"

The machine polishing sure is good, because it looks like shiney chrome to me.

Bar code : 4 036641 290025

Hope this helps.
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

I have the same schallers on two of my se guitars, including my se semi hollow. The only thing I don't like about them is the weight, which makes the semi hollow noticeably neck heavy. I just bought a new se custom 24 a few weeks ago and I won't be changing the tuners just because the guitar is very well balanced now, and I have learned that means something to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Itzed View Post
    I have the same schallers on two of my se guitars, including my se semi hollow. The only thing I don't like about them is the weight, which makes the semi hollow noticeably neck heavy. I just bought a new se custom 24 a few weeks ago and I won't be changing the tuners just because the guitar is very well balanced now, and I have learned that means something to me.
    I never noticed any weight change in my guitar. Sure does not seem neck heavy. But then again, I work out a lot and I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs, so a few ounces is not going to be noticed.
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.