Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straps!

Straps!

What strap do you use with the big PRS strap buttons? Standard strap holes are too small and I dont want to put locks on my TED. So what?
    Ted with mini hum pups.
    CS Tele
    Guild SF III
    Ghia, Vicky 20112 & 35310
    Pedals & stuff!

Normally in the past I've just slightly enlarged the hole on whatever strap I wanted to use but I use Schaller straplocks on all of my guitars. I have had too many bad experiences and close calls not to use locks when playing live.

HFS Lover
    I use Franklin straps on all my guitars, PRSi or otherwise... love the look and they are, hands down, the most comfortable straps I have ever used... I have had to, in some instances, loosen the PRS strap buttons to get the strap on and then tighten back down... they hold really well!

10 o' Clubs & GC SalesRep OsirisProtocol's Avatar
    I'm currently using a Monocase Betty strap a lot lately. I sometimes alternate between a Minataur strap and a Levy's padded leather strap as well. All three of these straps required their holes widened a bit to fit both the PRS strap buttons and the Schaller straplocks that I use.
    -Denny
    BAM Survivor

I have two leather straps.
    One a Levis, the other one is a Planet Waves.

I took off the stock pins on my Gibson SG and my SE Santana the day I got both of them, and put on the Schaller strap locks.

I have a poly strap too, but it is slippery, and it makes the SGs head aim down if you let go of the guitar.
    I like the leather straps better, as they grip the shirts and do not slide around at all on me.

Well, anyone who was at the experience last year prolly saw Chris...aka CRGTR on here playing a stripped 58 in the jam tent and witnessed a great catch when the strap let loose....I ALWAYS put strap locks on my girls!! again...great snatch Chris!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    I have two leather straps.
    One a Levis, the other one is a Planet Waves.

I took off the stock pins on my Gibson SG and my SE Santana the day I got both of them, and put on the Schaller strap locks.

I have a poly strap too, but it is slippery, and it makes the SGs head aim down if you let go of the guitar.
    I like the leather straps better, as they grip the shirts and do not slide around at all on me.
    The close call I had was with an SG actually. Neck heavy to boot and it fell on a carpeted floor face first. Luckily the headstock didn't snap. From then on I've never played without them.

It may also be the way Gibson has the strap pin behind the neck instead of on the outer horn like on the PRS and many other guitars.
    I also have to put the strap lock in from the other way on that end of the strap for the SG to make the strap show right.
    I wish the pin was on the horn instead of from behind.

But yeah, the SGs will take a dive.

PRS black nylon strap.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Comfort straps here (the fatter bass model): http://comfortstrapp.com/
    And LOXX strap locks on all guitars, so same strap with all axes:
    http://www.loxxusa.com/
    -Richard Lainegard-
    RichardLainegard.com

i guess cutting thr hole bigger is the the way to make it fit but then they are not secure. Just dont want to screw with the big buttons.
    Ted with mini hum pups.
    CS Tele
    Guild SF III
    Ghia, Vicky 20112 & 35310
    Pedals & stuff!

A little trick I do is loosen the screw in the strap button just slightly, maybe 1/4-1/2 of a turn. This gives a little more space under the button rim and makes it a little easier to fit a strapped to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    Well, anyone who was at the experience last year prolly saw Chris...aka CRGTR on here playing a stripped 58 in the jam tent and witnessed a great catch when the strap let loose....I ALWAYS put strap locks on my girls!! again...great snatch Chris!!
    Thanks Michael. That was an interesting way to start a jam in front of a tent full of guitar players! No pressure there! I'm just glad the 58 never hit the ground. That would've really sucked!
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

I mostly use a Levy's padded strap with Schallers. I bought one of these awhile back to use one non-strap lock equipped guitars: http://www.coreoneproduct.com/pages/...kepurhome.html
    They are a huge pain to get on the PRS buttons, but they will go on with some work.
    Last edited by vchizzle; 07-10-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Luckily, I've never had a guitar fall off the strap, and I've been playing without strap locks since, I dunno, 1966 or 7?

Maybe I need to jump around more or something.

Oh wait, I'm too old now. Never mind.

I have been using PRS straps with my two PRS for a few years and have not had any issues with the straps coming off and have never used anything but the standard PRS strap buttons. I had been using one of the soft leather 'bird' straps, but replaced it with two of the red padded PRS straps - they are AWESOME.! Very comfortable and look great. They are a little tough to get over the strap buttons at first, but the leather breaks in pretty quick. Really great straps imo.

I've been using Planet Waves on both of my PRS and never has an issue. They're such great guitars I can't bear to put a strap lock in either one of them. The strap on my Custom 24 has been on since early 2010 and the one on the McCarty Hollowbody since Oct of the same year and don't show any signs of loosening at all
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

PRS Straps..................... Made to fit PRS Buttons!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

I use Levy's mostly. Every gtr gets it's own strap so it changes sometimes. Mr Clean wanted nothing more than a PRS 25th Anniversary "white" strap. So, I put out feelers to buy one...and one of you (you know who you are) actually GAVE me one!! Troy gave me a fancy Jaykco paisley strap to go with that gtr, but it seems more at home on the TGS gtr (yet-to-be-named....) The Levy's are a "beech" to get on the 1st few times, but they hold on REAL good after that.
    Last edited by crgtr; 07-11-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: profanity
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!