Thread: Very annoying tail sound when blocking strings with the left hand [Samples inside]

PRS Custom 24 Owner Mr Pringles's Avatar

Question Very annoying tail sound when blocking strings with the left hand [Samples inside]

Hi,

It's been some time since I played on my PRS Custom 24, and I just noticed that when I play on a high gain amp, I play a chord and then block the strings from vibrating with my left hand, there is a very annoying trail sound coming from I-don't-know-what.

My Jackson doesn't do this annoying sound as you can hear on these 2 clips:
    http://soundcloud.com/podxt1/sets/prs-vs-jackson

Can it be related to the buzzing strings?? I don't think so but here's a thread I created some days ago about these buzzing strings:
    http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...5565#post15565

If you have any idea, thanks for letting me know, I will have to record some guitars in 2 days and I would like to use the PRS instead of the Jackson.

Tremolosprings
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

PRS Custom 24 Owner Mr Pringles's Avatar
    I guess you're spot on, I'll try that and see what happens. Just opened the back the guitar to have a look at the springs and are they supposed to be curved like that? Not 100% tightened?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pringles View Post
    I guess you're spot on, I'll try that and see what happens. Just opened the back the guitar to have a look at the springs and are they supposed to be curved like that? Not 100% tightened?
    If your tremolo is working properly, your springs are fine. Don't worry about the curve - that is just a result of the geometry of the way the ends are shaped to meet the fixed block. Don't try to reshape the springs to straighten them out. And don't shorten them - it is counterintuitive, but that actually makes them stiffer.

Just use one of the damping techniques swede71 shows above.
    Last edited by rugerpc; 07-12-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ