Thread: Who's got an Al D and what do you think of it?

Question Who's got an Al D and what do you think of it?

Besides the flashy paint job...

It's basically a McCarty Trem right? Different from a DGT in that it would have a Pattern neck carve and 57/08 pickups standard?

Who's here's got one and what do you think of it - strengths and weaknesses?
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

I think you just mentioned the strengths... it's a McTrem with 57/08's and a tweaked neck carve. I'm not a fan of the prism finish, but at the Dallas show PRS had a one-off Al D in kind of a blue-ish/charcoal with a white back. If it had not had the outline birds it would have been REALLY tempting... They said there were a few one-offs like that in solid colors, but that's the only one I've ever seen. It was nice!

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    I think you just mentioned the strengths... it's a McTrem with 57/08's and a tweaked neck carve. I'm not a fan of the prism finish, but at the Dallas show PRS had a one-off Al D in kind of a blue-ish/charcoal with a white back. If it had not had the outline birds it would have been REALLY tempting... They said there were a few one-offs like that in solid colors, but that's the only one I've ever seen. It was nice!
    It sounds nice!

I do like "full" birds too.
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

A McTrem with a charcoal top and white back with a Mexican ebony board. I bet they would sell a bunch of those if they did an Al D model that way. Seems like a cool guitar spec-wise, but that prism top is just too....."colorful" for me! Haha!

Thanks for the replies guys.

The only "down side" I've seen is the weight, I don't think I've seen one under 8 pounds! The demos I hears sound fantastic with the stock pu's. Nice thing about them vs. the new 408 guitars is you COULD swap Pu's out for something else if needed.

I'm surprised how individual the paint jobs are on these. And I like some more than others, I guess that's just the nature of the overlapped design. I spent years working as a Skydiving instructor, my parachutes were always that color scheme so I dig it.