Thread: Contemplating Trading my EJ Strat for PRS CE 22 - Is This a Fair Trade?

Contemplating Trading my EJ Strat for PRS CE 22 - Is This a Fair Trade?

Hi,

It's basically a mint Eric Johnson strat for a mint 2002 PRS CE 22. I feel the EJ might be worth a little more, but it's so hard to really fix values in the used guitar market these days.

Here's the CE 22. Obviously everyone here is biased toward PRS :-) But is this a fair trade?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3127618554.html

I think it's a good trade, and not just because this is the PRS forum. That's a very nice example, and in great shape for being 10 years old.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Is the EJ strat your only guitar?What color?Why trading?
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

No, EJ isn't my only guitar. I also have a Steinberger GM2T, a Mark Johnson Roadster Custom, 2 Fender HM Strats (both 1988 I think), and an Adamas 1597 SMT.

The EJ is great, but I played a 1994 PRS CE 22 about a year ago and it was one of the best sounding/playing guitars I've ever laid eyes on. Not to mention they are beautiful.
    For some reason about a week ago, I just decided it's about time to make a PRS happen. I guess if I had to gripe about something about the EJ, I'd say I prefer my pickups to
    be a little higher output, but it really is a fine guitar. Definitely not anxious to get rid of it. Just really want a PRS :-)

Oh yeah, and it's 2 tone sunburst. I can post some pics if you'd like.

HFS Lover
    I think it's a pretty good trade, I would do it. That CE looks to be in fantastic shape and is a cool color too.

I would, but I always say that. The DII is a hell of a neck pickup, I'm infatuated with mine at the moment.

Here's some pics of the EJ.

Any thoughts on the quality and feel/playability of a 2002 CE 22 vs a 2008/2009 CE 22?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3127618554.html <--- 2002
    http://beaumont.craigslist.org/msg/3148260748.html <--- 2008/2009

I know the 2002 is a 5 way rotary switch and the 2008/2009 era is 3 way right? What are the differences and what do y'all prefer? I want to make the right decision.

Both of your choices are essentially the same guitar, you just have to decide what color you want.
    The 5-way rotary vs. 3-way toggle/McCarty debate comes down to personal preference, only you will be able to decide that for yourself.
    Good luck, and I hope you have a new guitar soon.

I would keep the EJ strat,its a great strat.Every guitarplayer needs a good strat in his collection .Why not selling one of the HM strats?Keep the EJ strat and add the PRS to your collection .And hey,keep the strat pickups low output,thats part of the stratmagic.
    Last edited by swede71; 07-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

I would sell an HM, but I think I'd get $500 tops. I'm leaning toward keeping the EJ and holding out to raise the cash, but I also just found this down the road :-)

http://www.dannyd.com/paul-reed-smit...ectric-guitar/

They're all soooo purty!

I'm shutting this down guys, it is getting too close to becoming a "for sale" thread