Thread: Narrowfield pickups in PRS Studio - Muddy

Narrowfield pickups in PRS Studio - Muddy

Just got my 2011 PRS Studio ... nice guitar, 57/08s are great but feel the Narrowfield pickups are a bit muddy and bass heavy in the neck position. When comparing the sound of the neck pickup to my McCarty with 57/08s and Custom 22 (with 57/08s) if feel I get more clarity and more top end chime on the McCarty and CU22 than the Studio.

I thought it would be the opposite. When I rollback the Volume to 7 or 5 it removes the bass which is great and problem is kinda solved, but loose the power of the neck pickup. Do you guys have the same experience? Do I need to mess with pickup height? I currently have the pickup height even to the pickup rings. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Paul Reed Smith is doing a free clinic next week and will certainly ask him that question.
    '11 PRS Ted McCarty DC 245 Goldtop - '11 PRS Studio Smoked Orange -
    '09 PRS Ted McCarty DC 245 Soapbar Amber Black - '09 PRS SE One Vintage Burst - '05 PRS McCarty w/ 57/08 Dark Cherry Sunburst - '04 PRS Custom 22 57/08 Turquoise

I would definitely mess with the height. I would probably lower it, might be too high. Some of the clinics, you can take in your guitar. They may be able to adjust there for you.

I would think if the pups are even with the rings they wouldn't need to be lowered, but maybe I am wrong, and someone else can give you some better input!!

Quote Originally Posted by prsguitarman101 View Post
    I would think if the pups are even with the rings they wouldn't need to be lowered, but maybe I am wrong, and someone else can give you some better input!!
    The pickups were not even with the rings. The were slightly higher. The middle pu was actually much higher. Today I messed around more with pu height and certainly much better... Will take it with me to the PRS clinic so Paul can check it out.
    '11 PRS Ted McCarty DC 245 Goldtop - '11 PRS Studio Smoked Orange -
    '09 PRS Ted McCarty DC 245 Soapbar Amber Black - '09 PRS SE One Vintage Burst - '05 PRS McCarty w/ 57/08 Dark Cherry Sunburst - '04 PRS Custom 22 57/08 Turquoise

Quote Originally Posted by GBrux View Post
    The pickups were not even with the rings. The were slightly higher. The middle pu was actually much higher. Today I messed around more with pu height and certainly much better... Will take it with me to the PRS clinic so Paul can check it out.
    Saw your other post as well. Good luck! Curious to hear what Paul suggests...please post the results here. Thanks!