Thread: S2 Custom 24 not staying in tune...???

S2 Custom 24 not staying in tune...???

I bought a PRS S2 Custom 24 a little while ago and I love it! It never came out of tune until lately I've noticed it comes out of tune a little bit while I'm playing. Sometimes most of them will be slightly sharp or flat. I've also noticed that when one string (mostly the low E string) comes out of tune, the rest come out of tune a little bit too.

Have you got the original strings on there? Is it after any particular kind of playing (e.g. bending, trem use etc)? Are strings going sharp or flat...?

I've got the original strings on it. I play a lot of chords. I play lead but not a whole lot of bending. I'm usually pretty easy on the tremelo. They usually go sharp.

OK well it's not the usual suspects of heavier string gauge (binding in the nut), improperly stretched strings (they go flat instead of sharp), or excessive use of the trem (which sometimes needs a bit of a pull up after use to get the strings back in tune).

You might try putting a bit of light machine oil under each of the 6 trem screws, or try changing strings, ensuring they're properly stretched and the trem knife edge is sitting correctly in the slots of the screws (just change one string at a time and it will be fine)