Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAS models

Hybrid View

SAS models

I had a very early SAS with McHumbuckers and a 3 way toggle/coil tap. I've seen pics of one with a 5 way blade also, are they the same pickups? Swamp ash studio - is that a 5708? Then the newest narrowfield version....has anyone played all of them? Which version do you like best?

edit: Oops, should've put this in core guitars
    Last edited by vchizzle; 07-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    edit: Oops, should've put this in core guitars
    Done.
    One Life

I've played them all & love the new SAS Studio, mostly due to it's versatility. The volume knob is very sensitive so you can dial in a bunch of great tones, from Stratty quack to Tele bite/punch, even fatter HB-type sounds. The 5708 screams in the bridge position, & the Narrowfields sound great at any volume & are very quiet, which is important to me. Here she is...

I had a very early SAS with McHumbuckers and a 3 way toggle/coil tap. I've seen pics of one with a 5 way blade also, are they the same pickups?
    I believe when they switched to the blade pickups, they also changed to the "Swamp Ash Special" pickups as well, but I have no idea how those differ from McPickups.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    I believe when they switched to the blade pickups, they also changed to the "Swamp Ash Special" pickups as well, but I have no idea how those differ from McPickups.
    I was told that the Swamp Ash Special pickups were based on the #9's only more open sounding.
    DGT Secretary of Space

I recently purchased a 2010 SAS. It had a three way blade and a push pull pot. It was wired the way the toggle switch version was. It had no sounds that even remotely resembling a strat. When I put in a five way blade, I discovered that the middle pickup was wired out of phase. I reversed the wires on that and now it absolutely nails strat tones. It didn't look like anything had been changed when I looked inside, but I can't imagine it came like that from the factory. Anyway, maybe that's why I got such a good price on it.

I am partial to the bolt-on SASs and prefer the HSH 5-way because of the WF neck and the ability to change the pups. Mine now has 5708s and a Fralin as well as DGT frets.

Last edited by wilerty; 07-31-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Quote Originally Posted by wilerty View Post
    I am partial to the bolt-on SASs and prefer the HSH 5-way because of the WF neck and the ability to change the pups. Mine now has 5708s and a Fralin as well as DGT frets.

That's a real beauty!!!!
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

YES : a really great one !!!

I've to mod mine hard to get all the possible sounds ! ... If I've had a blade switch ... ( Rio Grande pups : Halfbreed humbucker and single and bbq humbucker at bridge )

Last edited by Hollowbuddy; 08-01-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Natural, my all time favorite color for swampiness!

Are they not bolt on necks anymore?

Just got my first PRS - a SAS Narrowfield, in Scarlet Smokeburst.

I've played Fenders for years and years, then got a Gibson last year (the Alex Lifeson LP with Floyd Rose), but have always wanted a PRS.
    And now I have one. It arrived last week, and it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinl View Post
    Just got my first PRS - a SAS Narrowfield, in Scarlet Smokeburst.

I've played Fenders for years and years, then got a Gibson last year (the Alex Lifeson LP with Floyd Rose), but have always wanted a PRS.
    And now I have one. It arrived last week, and it's beautiful.

The inlays look really sweet with that finish!

Are they not bolt on necks anymore?
    One poster showed a SA Studio, which does not have a bolt-on neck. All the SAS -Swamp Ash Specials have bolt-on necks.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

One poster showed a SA Studio, which does not have a bolt-on neck. All the SAS -Swamp Ash Specials have bolt-on necks.
    Hmm....interesting.

Was it a PS? Interesting for sure...my SAS Studio/all the others I've seen are bolt-on.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw32 View Post
    Was it a PS? Interesting for sure...my SAS Studio/all the others I've seen are bolt-on.
    I stand corrected ... as usual. The special edition SAS Studio has a bolt-on neck ... Cool guitar ...
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Three SASi and a pre-std

Nice line up, James.
    One Life

Man! Where's the "Like" button? I would love to have that collection sitting in my house.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    Man! Where's the "Like" button? I would love to have that collection sitting in my house.
    Right here ------>
    One Life