Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennedy-Tremonti Dueling PRSi

Kennedy-Tremonti Dueling PRSi

Anybody seen this yet? Great PRS battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03NK...eature=related
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

NOTHING sounds like a PRS balls out through a Mesa! FTW
    BDR-529

That brought a smile to my face. Thank you!

Wailin'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post
    NOTHING sounds like a PRS balls out through a Mesa! FTW
    I'd hardly count Mark's rig as "Mesa" - maybe 1/30th Mesa unless you are only talking about cabinets hahaha
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    I'd hardly count Mark's rig as "Mesa" - maybe 1/30th Mesa unless you are only talking about cabinets hahaha
    The core of his distorted sound has always been a Rectifier. He only started adding in the Two-Rock and RK100 this past year.
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

MOUNTAIN...album/FLOWERS OF EVIL...song/DREAM SEQUENCE great players can make any guitar sound good!!!!

Mark uses the mesa for rythym only....and he needs a bogner with it ...leads are on a voodoo and his new Bludotone
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

This one is great for a rundown of his current rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9O0SBskwys

Is that a Ubershall in the bottom of the rack?

The thing I like most about him is that he is obviously a tone fanatic. He's basically using 5 different amps including a Fender for his cleans. I love my Mesa but if I could afford it I'd have a rig like his. Lot's of amps for lots of different tones.
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

Quote Originally Posted by slev View Post
    The thing I like most about him is that he is obviously a tone fanatic. He's basically using 5 different amps including a Fender for his cleans. I love my Mesa but if I could afford it I'd have a rig like his. Lot's of amps for lots of different tones.
    Yep, I saw he was endorsing Fractal now too. I'm very tempted to sell some tubes and give the AxeFxII a shot.
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

I'm sorry, but I would consider an entire line of Mesa cabs as more than 1/30th of the sound. Maybe that's just me.

And besides that, who says I wasn't talking about Myles? He's all Mark V and Roadster. Not nearly as good as Mark, but he has a great sound himself.

In either case, yes I am a Mesa Fanboy. I love me some Mesa.
    Last edited by cjmwrx; 07-31-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    BDR-529

Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post
    I'm sorry, but I would consider an entire line of Mesa cabs as more than 1/30th of the sound. Maybe that's just me.

And besides that, who says I wasn't talking about Myles? He's all Mark V and Roadster. Not nearly as good as Mark, but he has a great sound himself.

In either case, yes I am a Mesa Fanboy. I love me some Mesa.
    Last time I saw Miles he was using all Diezel - and I said "unless you are talking about cabinets"

:P

And for the record I love Mesa! <3
    Last edited by themike; 07-31-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Yup....Myles used Diezel on that tour
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

Last time I saw Miles he was using all Diezel - and I said "unless you are talking about cabinets"

:P

And for the record I love Mesa! <3
    Myles said he started using Diezel amps when they began to tour ABIII so that his sound could be more differentiated from Mark's mainly Mesa sound (at the time). For most of his career though, Mark's sound, especially his distorted tone, has been derived from the Rectifier. Amps he has added in such as the Bogner and Two Rock he brought out in '10, the Fractal last year, and the Bludotone this year as he had to wait over a year to get it. The Two-Rock by the way is a custom amp for him.
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

deus ex machina
    It should come as no surprise that Myles Kennedy is a much more accomplished guitarist than Mark Tremonti. Myles had to "dumb down" his technique to fit into the Alter Bridge format.

Here's what Myles Kennedy could do in the early nineties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X13Bb...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    It should come as no surprise that Myles Kennedy is a much more accomplished guitarist than Mark Tremonti. Myles had to "dumb down" his technique to fit into the Alter Bridge format.

...most of One Day Remains was already written prior to Myles entering the band. The second album was more of an actual collaborative effort. It doesn't matter how great a musician you are, if you can't write a great song period, your odds of actual success won't most likely will not come. Myles previous band, The Mayfield Four didn't really go anywhere. Obviously he wasn't that great a songwriter, and his band was out at a time when great songs were being recognized, not musicianship. The only people who really care about technical proficiency are the people who play, or try to play that way.

deus ex machina
    Quote Originally Posted by solacematt View Post
    ...most of One Day Remains was already written prior to Myles entering the band. The second album was more of an actual collaborative effort. It doesn't matter how great a musician you are, if you can't write a great song period, your odds of actual success won't most likely will not come. Myles previous band, The Mayfield Four didn't really go anywhere. Obviously he wasn't that great a songwriter, and his band was out at a time when great songs were being recognized, not musicianship. The only people who really care about technical proficiency are the people who play, or try to play that way.
    Hopefully, you noticed that I said, "much more accomplished guitarist," not "better songwriter."

Mark Tremonti's success can attributed to being in a band that had a singer than sounded like Eddie Vedder and writing music that vaguely sounded like STP. Alter Bridge is a niche band compared to Creed.

I thought Myles had better note selection, tone, and style

I always like the duel - have seen it live and it's fun to watch.

Hopefully, you noticed that I said, "much more accomplished guitarist," not "better songwriter."

Mark Tremonti's success can attributed to being in a band that had a singer than sounded like Eddie Vedder and writing music that vaguely sounded like STP. Alter Bridge is a niche band compared to Creed.
    STP? Really.....

I love Myles as a guitarist, perhaps more than Tremonti at some levels. But really, there is nothing there that Mark couldn't grasp. Poor example if you're trying to prove a point.

They are both insanely talented musicians. Mark and even Slash will admit the that knowledge and theory wise Myles is better than they are. Truth be told Myles has one of the best vibrato techniques ever. Having said that Myles and Mark have two different styles that compliment each other beautifully when it comes to AB songs. But you can't compare them in an all out match because they are so different They both praise each other and both tend to believe in playing for the music instead of just showing off, so no Myles is not dumbing down his playing.