Thread: PRS custom 24 with TOM - Questions

PRS custom 24 with TOM - Questions

guys, what you say about my guitar ...interested in any details....
    Last edited by TubeTone; 08-09-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    PRS custom 24 TOM (serial 2 14157),gibson lp custom 78, diezel vh4,diezel herbert,diezel hagen,hiwatt 103 ,hiwatt 412 fane,WEM dark-side,vovox cables ......

I believe your guitar is a part of a short run of guitars that were inspired (in part) by the Limited Editions that began in 1989. The Limited Editions were a run of 300 that featured cedar tops, chambered bodies, gold hardware, and most importantly the tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece. The Custom 24 you have is a 1992 and is basically a production type Custom 24 with the exception of the tune-o-matic bridge / stop tailpiece and perhaps pickups. I have a `90 as yours with mahogany neck, mahogany body, maple top, and a tune-o-matic bridge with a stop tailpiece. It features a Deep Dish pickup in the bridge position, a Vintage Bass pickup in the neck position, 5-way pickup selector switch and a sweet switch. If yours does have the sweet switch it is rather rare as most all of the sweet switches were phased out by `91. Here's mine, played A LOT!

Last edited by CE-man; 08-08-2012 at 06:06 PM.

CE-man , thanks! new foto...
    PRS custom 24 TOM (serial 2 14157),gibson lp custom 78, diezel vh4,diezel herbert,diezel hagen,hiwatt 103 ,hiwatt 412 fane,WEM dark-side,vovox cables ......

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CE-man View Post
    I believe your guitar is a part of a short run of guitars that were inspired (in part) by the Limited Editions that began in 1989. The Limited Editions were a run of 300 that featured cedar tops, chambered bodies, gold hardware, and most importantly the tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece. The Custom 24 you have is a 1992 and is basically a production type Custom 24 with the exception of the tune-o-matic bridge / stop tailpiece and perhaps pickups. If yours does have the sweet switch it is rather rare as most all of the sweet switches were phased out by `91.
    Agreed on all points - though the Sweet Switch on this one may not be original. While we know that some guitars did, in fact, leave the factory with a washer...

Is the 5-way rotary still in it?

Still, that's one killer guitar.
    One Life

Your tuners appear to have been replaced as the original tuners would share a set screw among the D and G tuners (see pic) but that is one nice (and somewhat rare) PRS Custom-24. Yours does have the HFS/VB pickup combo, a nice dark whale blue finish (this color tends to fade over time) and a nicely figured "10" top. That would be a nice find in the states so finding that in Russia is fantastic! Here's a picture of what your tuners should look like. Notice the attachment wings on the tuners point towards the center of the peghead.

Quote Originally Posted by CE-man View Post
    Your tuners appear to have been replaced as the original tuners would share a set screw among the D and G tuners.
    Good catch.
    One Life

thanks all for your help!!!!
    I bought this guitar 2 years ago on ebay
    Original tuners i have too, but i like new version more (the previous owner install new ver)
    I'm not a collector, but I like cool and rare guitar
    Is the 5-way rotary still in it?
    When I bought it was 5-way rotary, but i install 3-way gibson switch(in place of sweet sw) and push-pull pot in volume ...
    I completely forgot, in the back side of head sticker: "Buzz Feiten Tuning System"
    It first prs in my hand with BuzzF...mb it only sticker??

Quote Originally Posted by TubeTone View Post
    thanks all for your help!!!!
    I bought this guitar 2 years ago on ebay
    Original tuners i have too, but i like new version more (the previous owner install new ver)
    I'm not a collector, but I like cool and rare guitar

When I bought it was 5-way rotary, but i install 3-way gibson switch(in place of sweet sw) and push-pull pot in volume ...
    I completely forgot, in the back side of head sticker: "Buzz Feiten Tuning System"
    It first prs in my hand with BuzzF...mb it only sticker??
    The Buzz Feiten intonation system can be added to most any guitar. Check to see if the nut has a little shelf or ledge that overlaps the first fret a little bit. If it does then you have the Buzz Feiten system and not just a sticker.

Very cool guitar!

PRS guitars don't need a BF nut. They are already offset.
    One Life

PRS has visited the TOM a few times over the years. Here's my 1991 Artist 1.

Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Brad...Niiiiice!!