Thread: Do You Think Paul Will Ever Use "Wood Substitutes" For Tone-Critical Components?

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar

Do You Think Paul Will Ever Use "Wood Substitutes" For Tone-Critical Components?

Was perusing a mail catalog from a major music chain, noticed an add for the 2012 Les Paul custom with a...Richlite fingerboard.

I am not a Gibson hater (wish I still had my old early 90's Custom and 80's 335) and I understand that they had some issues with ebony, but really?

For $4k, I want 100% real wood, real pearl, real whatever...not something I might use for my kitchen countertop. Maybe I've become a PRS snob, but I just could not believe for the price that the fretboard wasn't even wood...ANY type of wood.

I am sure if you blindfolded me I would not hear the difference...it's the principle at the price point. I think PRS has (and does) use some synthetic materials for the insides of some hollow birds, and I can totally condone synthetic birds on my $700 SEs...and I get the green angle and that's valid.

I'm just saying it made me go downstairs and ogle my 2012 Siggy, which I paid less than $4k for, and smile.

Do you think PRS will ever consider synthetics for tone-critical components? I would think it goes against "The Rules" but, then again, I don't know the rules...

Cantankerous, out.
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers (incoming)

NO............NOT REALLY LIKELY.

10 o' Clubs & GC SalesRep OsirisProtocol's Avatar
    At some point in the distant future I do think there will possibly be a small limited run of model using alternative materials. Do I think it will become a staple? No. As long as Paul is in charge I think it will be unlikely and I don't think the public will take to the idea. Paul and Co like to experiment and it's only natural it will happen at some point (if it has not already happened) and I wouldn't mind at least trying it out personally. I'm sure their will be alternative woods but I highly doubt there will be a completely random material replacing wood in the PRS staple.
    -Denny
    BAM Survivor

I want a bamboo top and neck McCarty 408 in Rainforest green. Might have to be semi-hollow or a light wood body like Obeche. Bamboo seems pretty heavy. I'd be all in for an affordable PRS made of sustainable wood. I ran a survey on BaM once. Seems a lot of people were into it.

Don't tell me you've never looked at your cutting board and wondered.
    One Life

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Don't tell me you've never looked at your cutting board and wondered.
    Yes, I just cannot decide whether I like the blue or green plastic better. The green one is thicker (more sustain) but the blue one has a handy carrying handle. I'm smelling PS
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers (incoming)

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    Yes, I just cannot decide whether I like the blue or green plastic better. The green one is thicker (more sustain) but the blue one has a handy carrying handle. I'm smelling PS
    Ha!
    One Life

Seems like Gibby has settled with the gov'ment now, sort of. I really hope that it never comes to this at PRS...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...-fingerboards/

Since Paul pretty much considers all components critical ones (everything affects everything) I'd have to say no.

Never say never! If someone came up with a material that I dunno, morphed its resonant frequency depending on the note/chord you were playing (I don't actually know if that's a good thing...) and some how made everything sound amazing and sustain for literally days, I'd want a guitar made out of it. I'd like to think PRS would embrace the tech as pushing boundaries is something they are always doing.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Never say never! If someone came up with a material that I dunno, morphed its resonant frequency depending on the note/chord you were playing (I don't actually know if that's a good thing...) and some how made everything sound amazing and sustain for literally days, I'd want a guitar made out of it. I'd like to think PRS would embrace the tech as pushing boundaries is something they are always doing.
    They seem to me to be moving toward the more traditional kind of approach, hence the move to V12 finishes, nitro on the acoustics, two piece bridges on the SCs, etc.

I had a Modulus Graphite bass, with graphite neck and phenolic fingerboard that sounded absolutely great, so I know it can be done (though it did sound different from a wood neck it was super cool), but I don't honestly see PRS moving in that direction when it comes to necks, fingerboards, and bodies.

Bob Taylor had an interesting youtube post recently about ebony, the scarcity of it, and the steps he is personally taking to try to keep a supply of it available.

I was impressed by how he has decided to sharply reduce the number of trees cut for "modern" ebony, and I'm personally happy to adapt to ebony that isn't "pure black", if it takes twenty trees cut down to get two that were worth selling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCGvfsBoFY

Hopefully, now that Gibson has settled its conflict with the Gov't, they will be buying legally harvested ebony... probably from Bob's company.

M

Someday they will make me a Perspex CE.... someday.

I just watched that Bob Taylor video linked from above. I think it's a video all should watch. Eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSaulnier View Post
    Bob Taylor had an interesting youtube post recently about ebony, the scarcity of it, and the steps he is personally taking to try to keep a supply of it available.

I was impressed by how he has decided to sharply reduce the number of trees cut for "modern" ebony, and I'm personally happy to adapt to ebony that isn't "pure black", if it takes twenty trees cut down to get two that were worth selling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCGvfsBoFY

Hopefully, now that Gibson has settled its conflict with the Gov't, they will be buying legally harvested ebony... probably from Bob's company.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodicus View Post
    I just watched that Bob Taylor video linked from above. I think it's a video all should watch. Eye opener.
    That's what this thread is about...

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...-Figured-Ebony
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ