Thread: possible to change p/u combinations on 5-way rotary?

possible to change p/u combinations on 5-way rotary?

This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Is it possible to change the settings on a PRS CU22 (from 2001) with a 5-way rotary?

My reasoning is that I'm digging the p/u combinations on the newer models with the 5-way blade, but I'm happy with the 5-way rotary setup and see no reason to dump a guitar I love the tone of and buy a new model just to get a few different switching positions.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom those in the know might have to share!

Wow, the silence is deafening.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Just to clarify...are you looking to potentially rewire the guitar so that the 5 rotary positions match the positions of the ones on the newer blades? I am not a wiring guy, but I know the PRS support site maps out all of the combos

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/switching.html

Didn't do a line-by-line, but I guess the biggest difference is the way the newer switching combines the humbuckers and single coils, whereas the old way was more variations on single coil combinations.

My 2 with 5-ways are early 90s, and wouldn't change a thing, but I have never played one of the newer ones with the blade...
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers (incoming)

Yes, I'd like to rewire the 5-way rotary to match the positions of the new 5-way blade guitars. It would be nice to have a 'both humbuckers' position in particular as I never use the standard 5-way rotary middle position. I also really like the new position 2 (bridge bucker with neck single coil split). I find that the two 'in between' positions (the hum cancelling single coil splits) on the old 5-way sound nearly identical, so it might be nice to switch one of them up for the new position 2 setting.

You can, but you'll need to replace the PRS rotary with a four pole, five way rotary like this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron..._Switches.html
    --Garrett--

Thanks, Garrett! Much appreciated!