Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The DC3: Most underrated PRS?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    34

    The DC3: Most underrated PRS?

    I say yes. I know... some might say it's just a strat rip-off. Or that it doesn't have a fancy top. Or that the pickups look weird.

    I don't care. It's still a great guitar and very under-appreciated, IMHO. Seems like the NF3 gets more love, but I prefer the DC3 which is more sparkle-y sounding.

    And the Runner-up for most underrated PRS: the Starla. Another great guitar that can jangle OR grunge out with the best of them. Very versatile.

    I hope PRS continues to keep these great guitars in their model line-up because they are really good. (On the other hand, if they're ever discontinued, then I'll have a couple of collectors' item!).

  2. #2
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,072
    I like your style!!! I have a not so seret cruchs on the DC-3 (black with maple fb and white pg) and the Starla...
    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  3. #3
    I had no idea it was underrated, honestly can't speak highly enough about mine! Thought that Fender and G&L were the only affordable options, tried them out and hated the necks. Figured I'd just go without a single coil guitar....and then I heard about the DC3. Here is pic of mine:

    PRS 22 Semi-Hollow, LTD; Tele; Strat; LP; Rivera Venus 3 amp

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by steam-powered View Post
    I had no idea it was underrated, honestly can't speak highly enough about mine! Thought that Fender and G&L were the only affordable options, tried them out and hated the necks. Figured I'd just go without a single coil guitar....and then I heard about the DC3. Here is pic of mine:

    Nice guitar, Steam! Yeah, maybe I used the wrong word when I said underrated. It's more like "under-appreciated". Anyway, just to keep the DC3 love alive, here's a pic of mine too. By the way, IMHO these two colors look the best on a DC3 (although you couldn't go wrong with seafoam green either).


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Nice guitar, Steam! Yeah, maybe I used the wrong word when I said underrated. It's more like "under-appreciated". Anyway, just to keep the DC3 love alive, here's a pic of mine too. By the way, IMHO these two colors look the best on a DC3 (although you couldn't go wrong with seafoam green either).
    Great choice! I would have opted for that, too, but I already have a 22 Semi-Hollow LTD in sapphire smokeburst, so I went with scarlet smokeburst to add variety. I notice you opted for maple fingerboard with ring dots. I really like the way the ring dots look on the maple!
    PRS 22 Semi-Hollow, LTD; Tele; Strat; LP; Rivera Venus 3 amp

  6. #6
    Senior Member MA Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    449
    Great guitars!

    Here is mine in Seafoam Green with a Maple Board and Birds:



    Mine happens to be for sale in the Vintage Rocker / Birds and Moons "Yard Sale", I dig the guitar but have a Private Stock on order I need to sell some guitars to help fund:

    http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/s...DC3-with-Birds
    Ted Club President

  7. #7
    Goatee Practitioner Danerada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,072
    Sexiest DC-3 I have ever seen!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MA Pete View Post



    - Dane

    “He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

  8. #8
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    396
    Love all those colors..Picked mine up today in vintage burst and am blown away by the playability and tone.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by slang05 View Post
    Love all those colors..Picked mine up today in vintage burst and am blown away by the playability and tone.
    Hey SLang, welcome to the DC3 club. Don't forget to post the obligatory NGD photo and any further reviews.

  10. #10
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    396
    I will, thanks.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    A Mile High
    Posts
    1
    Hello! So glad I found this thread. I was beginning to think I was the only one that plays a DC3. I have three other PRS guitars: Custom 22, McCarty Soapbar, and a Single Cut. While I love all my guitars, the DC3 is perfect for the kind of music my band plays, which is modern country.

    Seriously under-appreciated guitar!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    MD.
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    And the Runner-up for most underrated PRS: the Starla.
    So I have it the other way around, with the Starla being the most underrated (gets the extra points for its pure tonal and esthetic uniqueness) and the DC# as the runner up, but yeah, both are truly great guitars.

  13. #13
    Junior Member Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Boston, Ma.
    Posts
    25
    Love the Tone and neck on my DC3. Traded her in for a used Custom 24 10 Top, but thankfully was able to trade in another guitar to get her back. My Fender and Gibson stock is dropping, but my PRS stock is going up!!!
    2000 PRS Custom 24 10 Top, 2011 PRS DC3
    58 Fender American vintage series Tele
    97 Gibson Les Paul standard Double-cut
    Mesa Express 5:50 combo
    Mesa F50 head w/Mesa 2x12 recto cab. and Marshall 8412 cab.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    63
    I love mine and think it's one of the best necks I have felt. I don't like the neck of my studio at all and it cost more than double. I think the tones are really nice and I don't feel worried about playing it as it's a plain prs compared to most others

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •