Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Progressive metal

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar

Progressive metal

...the guys from Opeth are using PRS, the guys from Porcupine Tree are using PRS, recently I saw a Neal Morse's guitarist using it...

...any Progressive metal/rock addicts around here? =)

I am a huge fan of a british band Sylosis who are thrash prog ( not as proggy as most) check out their album Edge of the Earth, also another UK unsigned band Chapters (look for Chapters metal on youtube)
    Been into Opeth for ages not so big on Heritage but its better than 90% music out right now

the godfathers

one of my fav youtube videos

Love me some good prog metal / prog influenced tunes.

Last edited by themike; 08-22-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Thanks, Mike, the Between buried and me will soon take their place in my playlist.

Watching the Liquid Tension Experiment - hey, after we manage to convince Mr. Smith to start making those 7-string guitars, we can then focus on PRS Chapman Stick propaganda =)

I do like a good bit of prog metal but have to admit my tastes have mellowed out a little bit lately and I'm finding it incredibly hard to be impressed by progressive music. Porcupine Tree are fantastic and I think Devin Townsend is doing great things for the genre, but I haven't been convinced by the whole djent scene, yet. Anyone got any good new bands they can suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    Thanks, Mike, the Between buried and me will soon take their place in my playlist.

Watching the Liquid Tension Experiment - hey, after we manage to convince Mr. Smith to start making those 7-string guitars, we can then focus on PRS Chapman Stick propaganda =)
    Awesome, glad you dug BTBAM! They're great and honestly some of the most talented musicians of the current generation but sadly a lot of people write them off the second they hear screaming without realizing it's only 1/50th of their musical spectrum! I'm sure he'd do a Chapman stick through PS

Quote Originally Posted by MojoPin View Post
    I do like a good bit of prog metal but have to admit my tastes have mellowed out a little bit lately and I'm finding it incredibly hard to be impressed by progressive music. Porcupine Tree are fantastic and I think Devin Townsend is doing great things for the genre, but I haven't been convinced by the whole djent scene, yet. Anyone got any good new bands they can suggest?
    Devin Townsend is a genious - no other way of explaining it.

Well, speaking of djent, I must highly recommend the "Animals as leaders", especially their first album. It's a 50/50 djent vs. modern jazz with incredible bass which reminds me of Victor Wooten... check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4A3ALOSAew

Also, If your heart got soft lately, there are allways the "Karmakanic" to cheer you up =) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-sJGdhxMDA

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Awesome, glad you dug BTBAM! They're great and honestly some of the most talented musicians of the current generation but sadly a lot of people write them off the second they hear screaming without realizing it's only 1/50th of their musical spectrum! I'm sure he'd do a Chapman stick through PS
    Yeah, I'll start saving... see ya in a couple of years =)

Guys... yesterday I was so bored I didn't know what to listen to... so I played Sikth's "Death of a dead day" and it really blew my mind off... at first I thought I wasn't gonna stand the hysterical delivery of the singers, but the music offers so much relieving passages that the whole thing is really beautiful. In a sick(th) manner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrB51-WEnq4

Chapters

Sylosis

Really can't get enough of Sylosis.

And of course Dream Theater

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    This is my bud Nick's band, APSIS. This is their "radio" song, shortest one they have ever written. You might dig them...

Apsis - Lie Back and Think of England
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

This band was one of the first modern prog metal bands that interested me and also continues to be one of my favorites. Heavy, technical yet very melodic. 3 piece vocal harmonies ontop of the shred continues to blow my mind everytime I see them live.

Older song

Newer song

I saw the Leprous on saturday (beside their own production they play as a backing band for Ihsahn's solo performances) and wanted to share that they used PRS guitars. Woo hoo

(and 8-string Ibanez)
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Nice! I love Leprous - so talented.

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Nice! I love Leprous - so talented.
    Yes, they are... and they are quite a showmen too - encore longer than the main gig, synchronised headbanging (I mean... that just HAD to be thought out and practised) and stuff
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

I have been listening to the Dream Theater channel on Pandora at work on my Droid Bionic, and they play quite a few prog bands.
    I also have the latest Dream Theater album on MP3.
    Great stuff.
    On that Pandora channel there is also Rush, and I have heard Porcupine Tree a few times.

What turned me onto DT was a video I saw on the Palladia channel as a filler after a concert I had recorded.
    This was the video, and I ended up buying the album that day.

HELLYEAH!

In case you don't know, To-Mera's latest (concept!!!) album is out. It's called Exile and I've only heard it once, but it's really cool (a little more mellow than previous ones, but more creative in melodies imho)

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38820
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.