Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive metal

Now back to BTBAM for a second - I love these play through videos they did becuase not only are the riffs pretty crushing, but they also have lovely PRSi. I'm really digging Dustie's satin finished one with a floyd!

Dustie!

Paul!

BTBAM!

Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

I'm a prog metal fan, as well. That spans all the way from Symphony X, Human Abstract, BTBAM, Opeth, Animals As Leaders, Dream Theater, Tesseract, Periphery, etc etc.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    My dearest progheads, I just have to share this with you. This summer I'm going to a festival, which features Opeth, Ihsahn, Leprous and Meshuggah (among other metal bands). This is kinda fancy lineup for Czech Republic.

I wasn't this excited in a long time!
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    My dearest progheads, I just have to share this with you. This summer I'm going to a festival, which features Opeth, Ihsahn, Leprous and Meshuggah (among other metal bands). This is kinda fancy lineup for Czech Republic.

I wasn't this excited in a long time!
    That sounds like a killer line-up, plus you'll be in PRAGUE!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    That sounds like a killer line-up, plus you'll be in PRAGUE!
    It's not exactly in Prague, it's 130 km away, in a 18th-century imperial military fortress... which is pretty cool as well
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

It's not exactly in Prague, it's 130 km away, in a 18th-century imperial military fortress... which is pretty cool as well
    We need lots and lots of pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    We need lots and lots of pics!!
    I'll do my best. Btw shooting the audience will be unique opportunity to make black and white panda photos, while being in the color mode
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

I have been a Dream Theater fan for along time, I really like opeth and Periphery as well. I am going to have to check out a few of these other bands.

in a 18th-century imperial military fortress... which is pretty cool as well
    Sounds like a concert location that the cartoon version of Dethklock would play!

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Sounds like a concert location that the cartoon version of Dethklock would play!
    Haha, YES, definitely! Btw. did you know Toki Wartooth is said to be loosely based on Mikael Akerfeldt?

Quote Originally Posted by clcwarlock View Post
    I have been a Dream Theater fan for along time, I really like opeth and Periphery as well. I am going to have to check out a few of these other bands.
    Well Ihsahn is former frontman of the infamous Norwegian black metallers "Emperor", going much softer and "digestible". Leprous are fronted by his brother-in-law and they also serve him (Ihsahn) as a touring band. Here's a sample of Ihsahn's stuff, featuring Michael Akerfeldt of Opeth on vocals:

If you like classic prog like Dream Theater, I'd highly recommend the "Pain of Salvation" (in case you don't know them already) - they don't show off their speed and technique as much, but are extremely musical and creative and their leader is an unbelievable singer, IMHO comparable to Michael Jackson. First four albums are the best for me.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    This is going to be good, I will be buying the BluRay disc set when it is available.
    Dream Theater Live At Luna Park Live Concert DVD Trailer
    Awesome trailer. Their performance seems more energic than ever. Jordan's beard is getting longer and longer. With his magician's hat on, he could be teaching music at Hogwarts
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Awesome trailer. Their performance seems more energic than ever.
    Mangini has lit a new spark under their butts for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Mangini has lit a new spark under their butts for sure!
    Not arguing with that, but I liked Portnoy better (no doubt there are many topics about Dream Theater we can discuss forever and never agree)
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Not arguing with that, but I liked Portnoy better (no doubt there are many topics about Dream Theater we can discuss forever and never agree)
    Im a huge Portnoy fan and going into seeing them last year I was skeptical - but when I tell you that Mangini DESTROYED Portnoy in a live setting, please believe me. Its too bad that Mangini didnt get to write his drum parts on the last album because I think thats what made me go into it underwhelmed.

Haha, YES, definitely! Btw. did you know Toki Wartooth is said to be loosely based on Mikael Akerfeldt?

Well Ihsahn is former frontman of the infamous Norwegian black metallers "Emperor", going much softer and "digestible". Leprous are fronted by his brother-in-law and they also serve him (Ihsahn) as a touring band. Here's a sample of Ihsahn's stuff, featuring Michael Akerfeldt of Opeth on vocals:

If you like classic prog like Dream Theater, I'd highly recommend the "Pain of Salvation" (in case you don't know them already) - they don't show off their speed and technique as much, but are extremely musical and creative and their leader is an unbelievable singer, IMHO comparable to Michael Jackson. First four albums are the best for me.
    Thanks, I will have to check "Pain of Salvation"

Quote Originally Posted by clcwarlock View Post
    Thanks, I will have to check "Pain of Salvation"
    Here's a bite:

Live stuff:

The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Im a huge Portnoy fan and going into seeing them last year I was skeptical - but when I tell you that Mangini DESTROYED Portnoy in a live setting, please believe me. Its too bad that Mangini didnt get to write his drum parts on the last album because I think thats what made me go into it underwhelmed.
    I don't criticise any of their playing skill (god, how COULD I?), to be honest I only heard about one half of the latest album and seen just one Mangini's freestyle solo on youtube, which I found boring (I mean superbly technical and artistic, but "not funny enough"). Maybe it's the lack of funny faces Portnoy used to do all the time
    On the other hand, I hated Portnoy for the pseudo growling vocals he started to do on Systematic Chaos (or maybe earlier)...

But don't really listen to me... I stopped listening to Dream Theater sometime around the release of Octavarium... they'd lost something magical that I loved about them (and can be found on "Images and words", "Scenes from the memory" and still a bit of it on "Six degrees of inner turbulence"). I can't explain what it was, but they don't have it anymore...
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Assuming it's relevant, I made a couple attempts of prog-esque stuff, myself.

https://soundcloud.com/johnucol/a-distorted-image

https://soundcloud.com/johnucol/lost
    Super awesome stuff!

Now I'm definitely NOT gonna publish any of my stuff here EVER!
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.