Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Basement Studio

Outstanding work muh-man!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    Stunning work! Just fantastic!!

Dude that is awesome! This whole thread rocks!
    -Bob

Before I go all Tim Allan on you, I had to start in the very beginning.

The basement was a big project. Though I can conceptualize pretty well in my head, I know from other projects that I can get a better plan if I actually make a plan.

So, some measuring and drawing were the first order of business. Even rough sketches help nail down details that are only finalized as you are actually putting up walls.

Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Measure and mark...

My main measuring tool was a 30' Lufkin rule. For longer bits, where I was planning hallways and general room locations, I used a 100' tape. But the Lufkin was the workhorse here.

I used the plumbob in the near right for one wall before I realized how much it would slow me down and bought the 3 axis laser level in the center of the pic. I ended up using it for the layout of almost everything in the basement from the walls to the ceilings to the shelves in the closet. Simply indispensable.

Also indispensable: levels, steel rules, framing square, speed square, chalk line, drywall T square, surveyor's string, telephone twine, voltage sensor and outlet tester. The telephone twine has a sticky wax coating which lets you secure a line just by wrapping a couple turns around a nail ore something - no knot needed - thus speedy and un-doable. It does tend to get interesting when discovered by a long-haired cat as the larger cat and I found out. It only took an hour to free him....

And of course marking things like pencils, Sharpies and paint and Post-Its.

Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    This studio is incredible, Bill!!!
    You must have done this before, right?

And the middle screen looks familiar...
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

So I remembered this thread from some time ago and wanted to share pics of my basement studio with everyone also but didn't have photos at the time but I have a couple to share. I don't think its as nice as the others but it makes me happy

My name is Matt and I'm a guitarholic

1994 McCarty; 2010 Charcoal Burst Modern Eagle Quatro; 2012 Fire Red Burst Signature Limited;2012 Charcoal Buster Siggy ( PTC Modified ); 2012 Vintage Burst Stripper; 2012 Charcoal 408 Standard w/ Crackwood; 2012 NOS ME1 Tiger Eye

Cool - all those cables reminds me of a pic I saw of the Beatles - I'll have to hunt it up.

I suppose I could post the rest of the tool pics I started to post too...

edit - found it. The Beatles in Paris on 6/20/1965

Last edited by rugerpc; 12-12-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Thbbbbbt...

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Cool - all those cables reminds me of a pic I saw of the Beatles - I'll have to hunt it up.

I suppose I could post the rest of the tool pics I started to post too...

edit - found it. The Beatles in Paris on 6/20/1965

Yea I know its a mess right because I am in the middle of recording so I have a bunch of mics on the drums right now . That pic is cool though
    My name is Matt and I'm a guitarholic

1994 McCarty; 2010 Charcoal Burst Modern Eagle Quatro; 2012 Fire Red Burst Signature Limited;2012 Charcoal Buster Siggy ( PTC Modified ); 2012 Vintage Burst Stripper; 2012 Charcoal 408 Standard w/ Crackwood; 2012 NOS ME1 Tiger Eye

Quote Originally Posted by south89 View Post
    That pic is cool though
    I found one that measures 14.2 x 9.6 inches - I'm gonna take it home to the big printer and make a glossy to frame for the studio...
    Thbbbbbt...