Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: New PRS Owner and How I Got That Way

  1. #1
    Senior Member ExpatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102

    Talking New PRS Owner and How I Got That Way

    I wasn't planning on buying a guitar last Saturday. I went into my local guitar shop, the Rockshop in Christchurch, to buy an amp. The shop was busy, as it usually is on a Saturday and I was headed toward the amps when I glanced up at the guitars hanging behind the counter.

    There it was, a PRS SE Custom 24 in a gorgeous blue colour. I'd heard about PRS guitars but had never played one, so I asked if I could have a go. As soon as I was handed the guitar, it just felt right in my hands. The neck felt good, comfortable, like I'd had the instrument for years rather than a few seconds. Then I plugged it into an amp, a Fender Mustang III. I fell in love. That's the only way I can describe what happened.

    I'll tell you a story that does relate to my discovering PRS and my SE Custom 24, so please bear with me. I used to play the fiddle and when I was planning a trip to Washington, D.C., I discovered that they have several Stradivarii violins that can be played by members of the public. I made an appointment and played three of Antonio Stradivari's instruments. The experience was magical. The note was simply there, waiting for me to touch the string with the bow.

    How does this relate to my PRS SE Custom 24? Well, the experience was similar in that this beautiful, warm sound was right there, waiting for me when I plucked the string. I didn't have to work to make a nice sound come out of the instrument. It was already there. I'm not saying PRS are in the same ballpark as Stradivari's violins, but the experience was similar.

    Of course I bought the guitar. I posted a photo on the "Show Your SE" thread, but I'll put it here too. Isn't it pretty? It can safely be said that I have been converted and am now a true PRS guitar fan. One thought keeps going through my mind though. If the quality is this good in a Korean-made SE model, how bloody good is the quality in the US-made instruments?

  2. #2
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,864
    Nice axe, I have one on order, should land at my local shop in a few weeks.
    I cannot decide though between the whale blue and the sunburst tobacco, good thing he is getting a few of each

    I know what you mean by the quality of the South Korean built ones.
    I picked up a 2012 SE Santana a few months back, and it plays about as good as my 2012 $2K plus Gibson '61 SG Reissue I got in March.

    I have not played an American built PRS yes, may have to try one next time I hit the shop.
    But I ma really satisfied with mine, and I hear the one you bought is really great.
    If you have not seen their video yet, check it out.

    Did you check out both colors too, and what do you think of the whale blue?


  3. #3
    Junior Member Zack M 12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    24
    Welcome to the PRS fold. They are fantastic instruments.

  4. #4
    The SEs are great. They're in a class by themselves in anywhere near their price range.

    The US models are also great, so you really owe it to yourself to try one.

    That's really the only way to see what the differences are.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 08-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ExpatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Nice axe, I have one on order, should land at my local shop in a few weeks.
    I cannot decide though between the whale blue and the sunburst tobacco, good thing he is getting a few of each

    I know what you mean by the quality of the South Korean built ones.
    I picked up a 2012 SE Santana a few months back, and it plays about as good as my 2012 $2K plus Gibson '61 SG Reissue I got in March.

    I have not played an American built PRS yes, may have to try one next time I hit the shop.
    But I ma really satisfied with mine, and I hear the one you bought is really great.
    If you have not seen their video yet, check it out.

    Did you check out both colors too, and what do you think of the whale blue?

    They only had a SE Custom 24 in Whale Blue at my local shop. I think the tobacco sunburst is a lovely colour. My local shop has a SE Custom Semi-Hollow in tobacco sunburst and it's beautiful.

    I got to play a Tremonti signature model last weekend. It was absolutely fantastic. The quality was top-notch and the sound was beautiful. Not quite my cup of tea for reasons I'm not sure I put into words. Perhaps something about the singlecut body just doesn't appeal to me. Still, I did like it and would have bought the Tremonti over the Fender Standard Stratocaster I played last weekend. Honestly, the difference between the Tremonti and the Strat was night and day. Literally no contest.

    Let me know how you get on with your SE Custom 24 when it comes in.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ExpatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack M 12 View Post
    Welcome to the PRS fold. They are fantastic instruments.
    I'm a true believer now. The only question is, which PRS will be my next guitar?

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    The SEs are great. They're in a class by themselves in anywhere near their price range.

    The US models are also great, so you really owe it to yourself to try one.

    That's really the only way to see what the differences are.
    The Tremonti I played was just so much nicer than anything I've ever played, be it Fender, Gibson, what have you. My local shop is part of a chain and they have two PRS Studios in stock. My restraint regarding not asking them to bring one down for me to play has been remarkable.

  7. #7
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpatGirl View Post
    I'm not saying PRS are in the same ballpark as Stradivari's violins, but the experience was similar.
    Come on, admit that Mr. Smith is the guitar Stradivari =)

  8. #8
    Senior Member ExpatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102
    I haven't played an Artist Series or Private Stock guitar yet, so you just might be right.

  9. #9
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    860
    Me neither, I'm just being a suckup =)

  10. #10
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpatGirl View Post
    They only had a SE Custom 24 in Whale Blue at my local shop. I think the tobacco sunburst is a lovely colour. My local shop has a SE Custom Semi-Hollow in tobacco sunburst and it's beautiful.

    I got to play a Tremonti signature model last weekend. It was absolutely fantastic. The quality was top-notch and the sound was beautiful. Not quite my cup of tea for reasons I'm not sure I put into words. Perhaps something about the singlecut body just doesn't appeal to me. Still, I did like it and would have bought the Tremonti over the Fender Standard Stratocaster I played last weekend. Honestly, the difference between the Tremonti and the Strat was night and day. Literally no contest.

    Let me know how you get on with your SE Custom 24 when it comes in.
    Will do, I am going to call them today to see if they have heard anymore when they might land.
    I will decide on the color, then they will install my Planet Waves Autotrim tuners I dropped off last week.
    I have the Autotrims on all of my guitars, I like them very much.

  11. #11
    Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,010
    Welcome, Expat! I likened SEs to potato chips / cats in another thread - you cannot just have one. I have found some amazing deals on some for less than $300 used, and I am up to 5 already. These new SECU24s are really amazing for the price, they do seem a notch above even the other newer SEs I have. Alot of improvements over the 2010 SECU24 I had, across the board.

    I have a few Maryland models, including a Signature Limited, which I think is close enough to an "Artist Series" to at least provide a hack-level assessment. I am not a gigging musician, and pretty much had to sell non-vital organs to afford the Siggy, so I probably treat her as more of a "case queen" than I should. But I do play her almost every day for at least a few minutes, and she never ceases to amaze me.

    I think what you will find is that the SEs have alot of the all-around PRS-ness of the Maryland models, maybe just not as deep on all aspects. If you can get your hands on a Maryland one, be prepared to pine away...you will have to get one...but you'll also have even more of an appreciation of how good the SEs are.
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

  12. #12
    Senior Member ExpatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht Smuten View Post
    Me neither, I'm just being a suckup =)
    An honest man, gotta like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Will do, I am going to call them today to see if they have heard anymore when they might land.
    I will decide on the color, then they will install my Planet Waves Autotrim tuners I dropped off last week.
    I have the Autotrims on all of my guitars, I like them very much.
    Let me know how you get on.

    Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    Welcome, Expat! I likened SEs to potato chips / cats in another thread - you cannot just have one. I have found some amazing deals on some for less than $300 used, and I am up to 5 already. These new SECU24s are really amazing for the price, they do seem a notch above even the other newer SEs I have. Alot of improvements over the 2010 SECU24 I had, across the board.

    I have a few Maryland models, including a Signature Limited, which I think is close enough to an "Artist Series" to at least provide a hack-level assessment. I am not a gigging musician, and pretty much had to sell non-vital organs to afford the Siggy, so I probably treat her as more of a "case queen" than I should. But I do play her almost every day for at least a few minutes, and she never ceases to amaze me.

    I think what you will find is that the SEs have alot of the all-around PRS-ness of the Maryland models, maybe just not as deep on all aspects. If you can get your hands on a Maryland one, be prepared to pine away...you will have to get one...but you'll also have even more of an appreciation of how good the SEs are.
    It's already too late, then. I played a Tremonti Signature model last weekend. I've got my eye on a Mira, so we'll see how it goes. Can you post a photo of your Signature Limited?

  13. #13
    Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpatGirl View Post
    Can you post a photo of your Signature Limited?
    Here's the "beauty shot" that was posted to the web site if the place I got her:



    Here's the live reveal (with image stabilization from trembling hands lol):



    I think she's perfect!
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

  14. #14
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpatGirl View Post
    Let me know how you get on.
    Will do.
    I am seriously thinking of getting one of each color now, so I better order up another set of the Planet Wave Autotrim tuners
    Will end up giving one of them to my youngest son who turns 26 next month.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ExpatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    Here's the "beauty shot" that was posted to the web site if the place I got her:



    Here's the live reveal (with image stabilization from trembling hands lol):


    I think she's perfect!
    OMG ... That is just lovely, absolutely stunning. You must be thrilled! Does it play and sound as good as it looks? (I know it does, I just want to give you a chance to gush about your baby.)

  16. #16
    Senior Member ExpatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Will do.
    I am seriously thinking of getting one of each color now, so I better order up another set of the Planet Wave Autotrim tuners
    Will end up giving one of them to my youngest son who turns 26 next month.
    I hope he appreciates it!

  17. #17
    Senior Member ExpatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    102
    Hi guys,
    I went by my local music shop today to have the tremolo on my SE Custom 24 adjusted. While I was there, I played two SE Custom Semi-Hollows and one SE Santana. Here's what I thought.

    SE Custom Semi-Hollow: This is just a great instrument. I loved how light the guitars were, yet they weren't neck heavy at all. The tone was warm and full. The pickups sounded sweet and even maintained clean note separation when I cranked up the gain. The wide-fat neck wasn't chunky or uncomfortable, though one definitely felt better than the other one That guitar, with a sweet natural vintage finish, was really calling my name, so watch this space.

    SE Santana: I liked this guitar but it didn't call to me the way my SE Custom 24 or the SE Custom Semi-Hollow did. The quality was excellent, the neck was comfortable and it sounded good, but I just didn't like it as much. Still, it was a lovely guitar.

  18. #18
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,864
    I dig my Santana a lot, so I guess I am in for a real treat when the Custom 24 lands.
    Cannot wait to try it out, just wish they would hurry up and get here.

    I looked at some other sub $1,000 guitars after I got my Gibson, but I think for the money there is not much out there that can touch the quality of the SE line.
    I do not feel any need to mod my Santana except for the new tuners which also will be going on the Custom 24.

  19. #19
    Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpatGirl View Post
    OMG ... That is just lovely, absolutely stunning. You must be thrilled! Does it play and sound as good as it looks? (I know it does, I just want to give you a chance to gush about your baby.)
    Yes, gush gush - the interesting thing about the Siggy is that I have spent so much time playing with the "in-between" positions (middle on various combos of single/double) that I haven't spent alot of time with just the bridge and neck humbuckers...looks like I have home work. I can say that the single coil tones on the Siggy are amazing, and the switching is so intuitive that you just don't think about it. Not likely the type of guitar you will find just hanging in your local shop, but if you ever get a chance, play the crap out of one!
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

  20. #20
    Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    I dig my Santana a lot, so I guess I am in for a real treat when the Custom 24 lands.
    Cannot wait to try it out, just wish they would hurry up and get here.
    Very different guitars, they complement each other extremely well. Take both of those with you, and you can pretty much cover anything you'd want to play...
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •