Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Dear Paul Smith.. May I please ask for the "Modern 24"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    19

    Dear Paul Smith.. May I please ask for the "Modern 24"

    Dear Paul,

    I might be crucified by other members here. How dare I, right? So I am risking my life with this, but I just need to do this. (guys don't kill me...pretty please)

    In hopes that you sometimes during your busy day take a peek at the forum, I would like to voice my humble wish. That I also strongly feel is the wish of a big number of players world wide. Here it goes.

    Would it be possible that you consider adding another 24 fret guitar in addition to the CU24 (which I love and also have one) but a 24 fret guitar more focused on the Modern-rock/fusion-Jazz market?

    I am thinking about those players who are more technically inclined players and play modern Rock/fusion/Jazz and anything in between.
    There is a new generation of guys growing up playing Rock Fusion /metal/jazz, etc.. and they really need a 24 fret PRS guitar with the following features:


    Based on the CU24 body:

    1) 10-14 inch Compound Radius neck for lowest possible action and fast upper register playing.

    2) 5 way blade switch placed on the same position of the 305. This is the most "Perfect" location for fast sound switching when soloing.

    3) have a HSH pickup config option. Add a single coil pickup in the middle. This is for getting the best "in between" sounds.
    (gotta be able to "lower" this middle pickup a lot for those with fat fingers )

    5) No pickup rings. All pickups mounted on the wood itself for a leaner modern look! (like you do on the middle pup on the swamp ash)

    6) Regular Pattern and Wide Thin profile necks choice. With small neck heel for better grip at the last frets.

    7) PRS Trem and locking tuners.

    8) Make a maple neck with rosewood fretboard version available as well as a mahogany/rosewood version.

    You could call this guitar the "Modern 24" or something along the lines.

    Then get Dave Weiner and Emil Werstler on board playing these.. and snatch a few British up and coming guys and I think it will be a home run.

    I know that I've been wanting to play a PRS like that for many many years.

    Sincerely,

    Speed!

  2. #2
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I might be crucified by other members here. How dare I, right?
    Not sure what you're worried about. People post "Hey PRS, please make X" threads all the time.

    Call your local dealer. Get a quote from the PS team. Or... become a crusader for your cause. It just might work. It did for 7-String-Mike.
    One Life

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Not sure what you're worried about. People post "Hey PRS, please make X" threads all the time.

    Call your local dealer. Get a quote from the PS team. Or... become a crusader for your cause. It just might work. It did for 7-String-Mike.
    whew... I am spared..

    It has to be production PRS.. not PS.. not everyone can afford PS.

    what did mike 7string do?
    Last edited by Super; 08-31-2012 at 12:56 AM.

  4. #4
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Not sure what you're worried about. People post "Hey PRS, please make X" threads all the time.

    Call your local dealer. Get a quote from the PS team. Or... become a crusader for your cause. It just might work. It did for 7-String-Mike.
    It didn't work for 7-String-Mike yet. If it did, I'd be homeless today, because I would quit my job for sake of playing my new 7-String-Mike Signature.

  5. #5
    Senior Member themike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,856
    Hahahahahahha - you realize that if you guys keep calling it themike signature 7 string, people are going to wander onto the board and think it's a legit model!

    ..... actually, I'm ok with that - proceed
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

  6. #6
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Hahahahahahha - you realize that if you guys keep calling it th3mike signature 7-string, people are going to wander onto the board and think it's a legit model!
    It IS a legitimate model. We're just doing our usual thing and giving it a nickname.

    The Brazilian Rosewood McCarty, as an example, is known as a McBrazzy.

    The Stripped SC-58 is known as the Stripper.

    And the SE Custom 24 7-String shall be known (at least to me) as the "3-Mike-7".
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 08-31-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    One Life

  7. #7
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    It IS a legitimate model. We're just doing our usual thing and giving it a nickname.

    And the SE Custom 24 7-String shall be known (at least to me) as the "3-Mike-7".
    I'm in.

    I also think that any top with mineral streaks should be known as the "Hansomatic" (kind of like the veg-o-matic by Revco).
    Sh*tter's full

  8. #8
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    I'm in.

    I also think that any top with mineral streaks should be known as the "Hansomatic" (kind of like the veg-o-matic by Revco).
    Not my guitar, Phenny! Can't name it after me.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 08-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    One Life

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    19
    You know, some time ago I asked the PTC if they would flatten the radius and add a middle pup and route a cavity for the blade a la 305 on a CU22 trem I had.

    I was politely told to go PS. Sure... I'd love to, but can't tie up 7 grand on a guitar. I get the feeling that many can't either.

    So I tried... but maybe Mike tried harded? lol


    As for creating a new line of 24 fret PRS.

    I have been thinking about selling my PRS guitars to get a Suhr. But I really LOVE PRS. I've had a dozen over the past year.. trying to narrow it down to which one I love the most. (So far DGT and CU24)...
    BUT why let other brands like Suhr be the only one offering a 24 fret suited for the Rock/Fusion/Jazz market with their "modern" 24 fret guitar? PRS can blow them out the water if they make one to compete. Have you seen many used suhr modern 24 freters on ebay? You rarely do because as soon as they hit the market they are gone..
    Even Fender hast caught up and is trying to catch up to PRS and Suhr with their updated line of "Select" ... they provide better tone woods, better looking tops like a PRS and Surh, and add a compound radius that is so appealing to this market.. I am sure they are nice guitars.. I'm just not a fender guy, but those fender guys looking a more modern guitar will probably buy it.
    So what about those PRS guys? Yeah.. we'll buy a modern 24 fret guitar!!!!! For sure!!!!

    There is this trend to make everything look and feel vintage. I say that is great, there is a huge market for that.

    But I feel PRS is forgetting that a lot of musicians want modern, not vintage. And that is where the new 24 fret PRS would fit in.

    Maybe Paul is just waiting for the right market conditions and will surprise us in the near future..

  10. #10
    deus ex machina
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    1) 10-14 inch Compound Radius neck for lowest possible action and fast upper register playing.
    You do know that the development of the modern electric guitar compound radius fingerboard had nothing to do with low action? The modern compound radius neck was Warmoth's answer to a technical problem, not a performance-related problem. Guitarists wanted flat radius fingerboards, but Floyd Rose trems shipped with 10" radius nuts. If you do not believe me, ask Tommy Rosamond. He was with Warmoth when the decision was made to create the modern compound radius fingerboard.

    Contrary to popular belief, the compound radius fingerboard does not provide for the lowest possible action. A large radius fingerboard with a small amount of fall-away at the end provides for the lowest possible action. Compound radii fingerboards are pain in the butt to setup because it is darn near impossible to achieve consistent spacing between the tops of the frets and the bottoms of the strings across the radius of the fingerboard along the length of the fingerboard. One ends up with situation where the radius of the strings does not match the radius of the fingerboard at at least one place on the fingerboard.

  11. #11
    Prince of Paisley iahawk36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    North Country
    Posts
    594
    I'm on board with the "3-Mike-7"!!!!
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the compound radius fingerboard does not provide for the lowest possible action. A large radius fingerboard with a small amount of fall-away at the end provides for the lowest possible action. Compound radii fingerboards are pain in the butt to setup because it is darn near impossible to achieve consistent spacing between the tops of the frets and the bottoms of the strings across the radius of the fingerboard along the length of the fingerboard. One ends up with situation where the radius of the strings does not match the radius of the fingerboard at at least one place on the fingerboard.
    It is valid to have your own opinion.

    I just go by what is my experience with having multiple guitars with different radius, and also compound radius guitars and setting them up myself for better lower action. It is better to have a completely flatter board and fall away like you say, but a compound is a good compromise for those who still want a rounder radius for chording.

    Also it does not hurt to notice the fact that master luthiers at Jackson, Fender, Suhr, Warmoth and Gibson.. all of them agree that a compound radius gives you lower string action. There is even the old trick of leveling the last frets using a flatter radius to create the same effect as a fall away. Many techs do this.

    Do not fear the compound. If you do a 10'' inch up until the 10th or 12th fret and then flatten to 14'' going up, then you will have the best of both worlds.
    Even if you don't care for the compound, having it will allow for lower string action, if you appreciate that, then you'll like it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member aduayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    767
    I think PRS could offer more options with 24 frets, I prefer the ones with 22, but I don't think a 24 frets guitar is more modern then a 22. I believe in what suits us better.
    for me there's something wrong with the 24 frets guitars, just not my cup of tea.
    as you, I like maple necks and fretboards, but looks like PRS is not a big fan of it, so we are restricted to a few options, none with 24 frets.
    If you don't want to go to Private Stock I suggest you to check the Artist Package. I think they can offer pretty good options for one of a kind guitar without the PS price tag. Except for a few details, you can have your dream guitar (the HSH you can ask PTC to do it).
    http://prsguitars.com/artistpackage/index.php
    I have to be very honest, with PTC and now this Artist PAckage options I can have my dream guitar. It won't be cheap, but it won't cost as much as a PS either.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Rango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The FAR SIDE of the Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawk36 View Post
    I'm on board with the "3-Mike-7"!!!!
    What Colors are available for the 3-Mike-7?



  15. #15
    deus ex machina
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    388
    Do not fear the compound. If you do a 10'' inch up until the 10th or 12th fret and then flatten to 14'' going up, then you will have the best of both worlds.
    Even if you don't care for the compound, having it will allow for lower string action, if you appreciate that, then you'll like it.
    That's actually the worse way to radius the fingerboard because it is not a cone. In order to have low action on the 14" radius portion of the board, one must set the bridge up to have around a seventeen to eighteen inch radius, which, in turn, makes the radius of the strings not match the radius of the frets through the middle part of the neck due to the non-conical shape of the fingerboard. The compound radius also does nothing to address bending in the lower registers. It assumes that all single-note work will occur after the 12th fret, which is not true for most guitarists.

    I have built several guitars with compound radii fingerboards. They all required fret modification to make the string radius match the fret radius throughout most of the length of the fingerboard. The guitar shown below was the last guitar that I built with a compound radius board. It will be the last guitar that I build with a compound radius board. The compound radius fingerboard is a compromise fingerboard. It trades consistent single-note feel throughout the length of the fingerboard for ability to set the action slightly lower in the higher registers without "fretting out" on bends.




    Last edited by Em7; 08-31-2012 at 10:53 PM.

  16. #16
    Are 2 heads better than 1 Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Dear Paul,

    I might be crucified by other members here. How dare I, right? So I am risking my life with this, but I just need to do this. (guys don't kill me...pretty please)

    In hopes that you sometimes during your busy day take a peek at the forum, I would like to voice my humble wish. That I also strongly feel is the wish of a big number of players world wide. Here it goes.

    Would it be possible that you consider adding another 24 fret guitar in addition to the CU24 (which I love and also have one) but a 24 fret guitar more focused on the Modern-rock/fusion-Jazz market?

    I am thinking about those players who are more technically inclined players and play modern Rock/fusion/Jazz and anything in between.
    There is a new generation of guys growing up playing Rock Fusion /metal/jazz, etc.. and they really need a 24 fret PRS guitar with the following features:


    Based on the CU24 body:

    1) 10-14 inch Compound Radius neck for lowest possible action and fast upper register playing.

    2) 5 way blade switch placed on the same position of the 305. This is the most "Perfect" location for fast sound switching when soloing.

    3) have a HSH pickup config option. Add a single coil pickup in the middle. This is for getting the best "in between" sounds.
    (gotta be able to "lower" this middle pickup a lot for those with fat fingers )

    5) No pickup rings. All pickups mounted on the wood itself for a leaner modern look! (like you do on the middle pup on the swamp ash)

    6) Regular Pattern and Wide Thin profile necks choice. With small neck heel for better grip at the last frets.

    7) PRS Trem and locking tuners.

    8) Make a maple neck with rosewood fretboard version available as well as a mahogany/rosewood version.

    You could call this guitar the "Modern 24" or something along the lines.

    Then get Dave Weiner and Emil Werstler on board playing these.. and snatch a few British up and coming guys and I think it will be a home run.

    I know that I've been wanting to play a PRS like that for many many years.

    Sincerely,

    Speed!
    I'm in!!

    If Paul won't build it...... It sounds like you might like Suhrs!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,886
    3-Mike-7 sounds darn good to me!




    Oh yeah...btw I have never seen anyone...never ever...win an argument with Mark.
    -Bob

  18. #18
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    It IS a legitimate model. We're just doing our usual thing and giving it a nickname.

    The Brazilian Rosewood McCarty, as an example, is known as a McBrazzy.

    The Stripped SC-58 is known as the Stripper.

    And the SE Custom 24 7-String shall be known (at least to me) as the "3-Mike-7".
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I'm soooo excited about it! In case it doesn't happen, I'm gonna mod the head and rewrite the Custom 24-7 string to the mighty 3-Mike-7 anyway, I swear!

  19. #19
    Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    What Colors are available for the 3-Mike-7?


    I can't decide between steampunk brown or ubermetal black, but really WHO CARES ABOUT THE COLOR? THE THING HAS SEVEN STRINGS!!! =D

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    That's actually the worse way to radius the fingerboard because it is not a cone. In order to have low action on the 14" radius portion of the board, one must set the bridge up to have around a seventeen to eighteen inch radius, which, in turn, makes the radius of the strings not match the radius of the frets through the middle part of the neck due to the non-conical shape of the fingerboard. The compound radius also does nothing to address bending in the lower registers. It assumes that all single-note work will occur after the 12th fret, which is not true for most guitarists.
    @Em7 how about 10" at the nut 12" at the 12th fret, and 14" at the 15th fret until the last fret.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •