Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise routine

Exercise routine

So I find I need to exercise more than I used to, just to maintain a healthy weight. I try to watch what I eat and walk 5-6 days a week. I'm not much of a runner, so I walk instead. I have to do something so my butt doesn't look fat in those jeans.

What exercise/diet routines do you guys follow?

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    I'm 35 in a few months and i've noticed a definate slowdown the past couple of years. I'm still overweight but i've found dieting doesn't work because like most who diet it gets piled back on when I fall back into the old routine. I've had to make - and continue to make lifestyle changes.

I've never been into weights or jogging / running or going to a gym. I love cycling and swimming though. I think that's one of the keys to exercise... You've got to enjoy it!

Food wise i've cut out as many high fat and high sugar foods as I can and save the grease as treats. Hard going though... The bad stuff tastes so good!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, SE Custom 24 2012, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    Hockey, you have a couple of rinks going either east or west of the factory. Biking is another option and your surrounding area is relatively flat which is a plus.

I was a runner for a long time, but my knees finally gave out now that I'm -ahem- OLD, so I walk. I've started watching my diet carefully (avoiding glycemic loads) and I actually seem to be taking off some weight. Wooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    I'm 35 in a few months and i've noticed a definate slowdown the past couple of years. I'm still overweight but i've found dieting doesn't work because like most who diet it gets piled back on when I fall back into the old routine. I've had to make - and continue to make lifestyle changes.

I've never been into weights or jogging / running or going to a gym. I love cycling and swimming though. I think that's one of the keys to exercise... You've got to enjoy it!

Food wise i've cut out as many high fat and high sugar foods as I can and save the grease as treats. Hard going though... The bad stuff tastes so good!
    I'm with you Mike, I'm not "dieting" I'm making lifestyle changes. I've never been into fast food so that isn't a problem, but I am trying to cut out some processed foods, junk carbs and my beloved pasta. (I have an Italian mother, how can I not love pasta?) I've been walking with my wife which allows us some one on one time which busy couples rarely get. Anyway, I'm feeling good and I'm loosing weight!

Oh yeah, a few beers on weekends only, but no alcohol during he week.

I am just naturally thin, but muscular mind you. I guess I'm just lucky to have the perfect metabolism
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Good for you Les!

They say walking burns as many calories as running. I don't know if that is true, but "they" say it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I was a runner for a long time, but my knees finally gave out now that I'm -ahem- OLD, so I walk. I've started watching my diet carefully (avoiding glycemic loads) and I actually seem to be taking off some weight. Wooo!

DGT Club Vice President
    Just hit 39....I have cut out all fast food, trying to limit Cokes, and down to an Oreo a day. I've started doing the red wine thing at night, fish oil, and a multi vitamin. And last, but not least, I go biking for 30 minutes or more a day....just a little under seven miles a day. I got a good scare at my physical with the threat of cancer. Time to straighten up and fly right for me.

mgd

DGTs

That's not cool Mike, is everything OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    Just hit 39....I have cut out all fast food, trying to limit Cokes, and down to an Oreo a day. I've started doing the red wine thing at night, fish oil, and a multi vitamin. And last, but not least, I go biking for 30 minutes or more a day....just a little under seven miles a day. I got a good scare at my physical with the threat of cancer. Time to straighten up and fly right for me.

I've never had a weight problem but I lead an active lifestyle. Mike Garvey said it best, find some activity you enjoy and you'll never exercise again, you'll simply be having fun.

Administrator
    How do you feel about spandex?

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    How do you feel about spandex?

I still Gig in spandex
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

i'm turning 34 in october...with two very active kids i feel a hell of a lot older than that...not like when I was 18 anymore. I've always been pretty active in my workouts....back in school ...i ran track, hurdled, swam, baseball, etc...unspecified hip injury at the time slowed me down. Once i recovered I Got into weight lifting in a big way....worked pretty well for 11 or 12 years until I reaggraveted my hip and then some with a pretty brutal injury after i started running again. After a year trying to figure out what was wrong Docs at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC finally figured it out(they are THE BEST)... was either serious Physical Therapy or surgery and Physical therapy.. Injury second time around took over a Year and a half of my life....Avoided surgery so far but have worked my ass off for over eight months in PT...focusing on core strength, flexibility, and functional strength and agility. Free weights, swimming, all sorts of core strength plyometrics, isometrics, and something that really helped me...TRX suspension training...very cool stuff. In addition to the PT facility... I have a workout room/gym in my home with my PT stuff, Bench, PowerBlocks, and a TRX setup...i still need to get an elliptical. (treadmills are the worst thing in the world for my hip). I try to do at least 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes a day...if I don't....hip pain comes roaring back.
    -Bob

I haven't made the jump to stick with it myself, but I work around a lot of guys that eat in a 'paleo' manner for lack of a better term. They basically are avoiding anything processed and for exercise they are doing a crossfit program. Robb Wolf's name comes up a lot in those converstations. So like i say I haven't gotten myself to stick to it but I've seen impressive results in other folks doing it.

Mike...hope all is well and everything is ok.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I still Gig in spandex

Yeah...and bunny slippers...while shredding on a Dragon...from what I've been able to gather!

And you make it look good!
    -Bob

DGT Club Vice President
    Couple more tests to be run...things are honestly looking pretty good. Thanks for the comments!

The doctor who did the physical (work physical) just kinda dropped that on me - quick freak out and on to my doctor.

mgd

DGTs

Couple more tests to be run...things are honestly looking pretty good. Thanks for the comments!

The doctor who did the physical (work physical) just kinda dropped that on me - quick freak out and on to my doctor.

Glad to hear it...mojo sent your way!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I still Gig in spandex
    cool, got pics?
    Bavarian Barbarian

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    I have the opposite problem... I was so skinny that my immunity went weak and my health fragile, so now I'm trying to eat more and exercise to build some muscles. Mostly pull ups and push ups, but not exactly every day, because I have some discipline issues =)
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.