Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
As an avid distance runner, mountaineer, & backpacker, exercise is something near and dear to me. I used to be non-active until my mid 20's. Then the doctor told me I was going to have to go on blood pressure lowering drugs and that's when it all changed for me. I've been reading through the posts and I'm going to add some of my own personal insight and expertise.

1) On the issue of reducing carbs, forget it. Eat what comes naturally to you without consciously limiting certain intakes. I'm not saying there should be total indiscretion. Obviously, fast food and soda should be moderated... but... out of the normal food spectrum you should just eat what you want. People who limit certain things such as carbs often have insatiable cravings that are never satisfied. This means actually eating more of other things and more total calories in the long run.

2) Forget the walking. I don't want to offend anyone but walking as a form of exercise is a complete waste of time. Walking does not get your heart rate to levels that have any cardio benefit whatsover. It also burns very minimal calories. It's been proven that running the same distance actually burns more calories... not to mention taking far less time. .
I have to respectfully disagree with your points here. I'm sure they were well intended, but extremely generalized nonetheless. Limiting bad carbs is a very good tip for many people, especially ones that cannot plan their meals out, end up eating later at night, or are not able to exercise consistently. The issue of bad carbs vs. good carbs is admittedly a constant debate and can vary from person to person. But the idea of just "eating what you want" can't be a given if there's not a check-and-balance with regard to exercise. As far as a general diet tip, portion control is the best advice I can give. Don't eat every meal until your completely stuffed, be moderate and try not to eat late at night.

Point number two is the one I disagree with more. There are lots of people that cannot exercise vigorously on a consistent basis. Walking can absolutely provide a benefit in bridging the gap between workouts. I find that walking is most beneficial to people that are confined to more sedentary lifestyles, sitting 8+ hours a day at work will take years off of your life. There are people with various injuries and maladies that prevent strenuous or exercises involving high-impact. For them, walking is one of the few things to keep them moving and prevent atrophy. Absolutely vigorous exercise is the best option, but to say walking is a "complete waste of time," is a bit short-sighted.
I have been a personal trainer for the last 9 years, and a martial artists for 26 years. Just my 2 cents