Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise routine

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    As an avid distance runner, mountaineer, & backpacker, exercise is something near and dear to me. I used to be non-active until my mid 20's. Then the doctor told me I was going to have to go on blood pressure lowering drugs and that's when it all changed for me. I've been reading through the posts and I'm going to add some of my own personal insight and expertise.

1) On the issue of reducing carbs, forget it. Eat what comes naturally to you without consciously limiting certain intakes. I'm not saying there should be total indiscretion. Obviously, fast food and soda should be moderated... but... out of the normal food spectrum you should just eat what you want. People who limit certain things such as carbs often have insatiable cravings that are never satisfied. This means actually eating more of other things and more total calories in the long run.

2) Forget the walking. I don't want to offend anyone but walking as a form of exercise is a complete waste of time. Walking does not get your heart rate to levels that have any cardio benefit whatsover. It also burns very minimal calories. It's been proven that running the same distance actually burns more calories... not to mention taking far less time. .
    I have to respectfully disagree with your points here. I'm sure they were well intended, but extremely generalized nonetheless. Limiting bad carbs is a very good tip for many people, especially ones that cannot plan their meals out, end up eating later at night, or are not able to exercise consistently. The issue of bad carbs vs. good carbs is admittedly a constant debate and can vary from person to person. But the idea of just "eating what you want" can't be a given if there's not a check-and-balance with regard to exercise. As far as a general diet tip, portion control is the best advice I can give. Don't eat every meal until your completely stuffed, be moderate and try not to eat late at night.

Point number two is the one I disagree with more. There are lots of people that cannot exercise vigorously on a consistent basis. Walking can absolutely provide a benefit in bridging the gap between workouts. I find that walking is most beneficial to people that are confined to more sedentary lifestyles, sitting 8+ hours a day at work will take years off of your life. There are people with various injuries and maladies that prevent strenuous or exercises involving high-impact. For them, walking is one of the few things to keep them moving and prevent atrophy. Absolutely vigorous exercise is the best option, but to say walking is a "complete waste of time," is a bit short-sighted.
    I have been a personal trainer for the last 9 years, and a martial artists for 26 years. Just my 2 cents
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with your points here. I'm sure they were well intended, but extremely generalized nonetheless. Limiting bad carbs is a very good tip for many people, especially ones that cannot plan their meals out, end up eating later at night, or are not able to exercise consistently. The issue of bad carbs vs. good carbs is admittedly a constant debate and can vary from person to person. But the idea of just "eating what you want" can't be a given if there's not a check-and-balance with regard to exercise. As far as a general diet tip, portion control is the best advice I can give. Don't eat every meal until your completely stuffed, be moderate and try not to eat late at night.

Point number two is the one I disagree with more. There are lots of people that cannot exercise vigorously on a consistent basis. Walking can absolutely provide a benefit in bridging the gap between workouts. I find that walking is most beneficial to people that are confined to more sedentary lifestyles, sitting 8+ hours a day at work will take years off of your life. There are people with various injuries and maladies that prevent strenuous or exercises involving high-impact. For them, walking is one of the few things to keep them moving and prevent atrophy. Absolutely vigorous exercise is the best option, but to say walking is a "complete waste of time," is a bit short-sighted.
    I have been a personal trainer for the last 9 years, and a martial artists for 26 years. Just my 2 cents

You are right. Left with no other choice, walking is better than nothing. However, my points were directed to people who are not subject to limitations. With all options open, a completely healthy person who chooses to walk versus more vigorous activities is wasting their time. I'm sure as a personal trainer you are familiar with target heart rates. Walking doesn't achieve even the lowest levels of desired heart rate. If were keep the discussion to losing/maintaining weight, the person who pushes his or herself physically will have exponentially better results in the end and do it in less time.

what is the target heart rate for a cardio workout?

I prefer walking to running because it jars my joints less and I tend to pull fewer muscles. When I walk, I walk as fast as I possibley can and I'm hitting 14 minute miles for at least three miles. Granted it isn't a triathalon, but I feel like I am getting some cardio benefit from the activity and I certainly break a heavy sweat while walking.

Blackbird- what form/discipline of martial arts do you practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    You are right. Left with no other choice, walking is better than nothing. However, my points were directed to people who are not subject to limitations. With all options open, a completely healthy person who chooses to walk versus more vigorous activities is wasting their time. I'm sure as a personal trainer you are familiar with target heart rates. Walking doesn't achieve even the lowest levels of desired heart rate. If were keep the discussion to losing/maintaining weight, the person who pushes his or herself physically will have exponentially better results in the end and do it in less time.
    Pushing is good--to an extent. If you go too hard and exceed the target range, your workout is not as effective. You also increse your chance of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post

I prefer walking to running because it jars my joints less and I tend to pull fewer muscles. When I walk, I walk as fast as I possibley can and I'm hitting 14 minute miles for at least three miles. Granted it isn't a triathalon, but I feel like I am getting some cardio benefit from the activity and I certainly break a heavy sweat while walking.

Shawn, here's a good article about target heart rate: http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...r-weight-loss/

Walking can certainly be a decent workout if you keep a brisk pace.

I think just about anything that gets you up and moving is generally a good idea!
    --Garrett--

Weight lifting (the old Titan Training program) 4days/week, and a intermittent fasting regime consisting of LeanGains on training days (www.leangains.com), and Brad Pilons EatStopEat on rest days ( www.eatstopeat.com )
    -Richard Lainegard-
    RichardLainegard.com

I'm with Nik on the first page. I've been doing Paleo for 3 months now and have lost 50 lbs. I'm 32, 6'6" and used to weight 275 lbs. I'm now 225 lbs pretty consistently and I haven't really worked out. I know it's very important but I have a crazy sporadic schedule that makes consistently a challenge I have not been able to face just yet. I'm just glad I've lost weight, my asthma symptoms are gone and my joints feel like they did when I was 18.
    I'm very passionate about diet but hopefully you find something that works and more importantly, you can stick with.

To the original poster, been there, haven't we all, just an age thing. I'm neither vain nor obsessive, just a normal, lazy guy in his 40's, but wanting to stay healthy and get stronger slowly, and of course be able to eat (and of course drink) more.This works, just add time: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren.../dp/0982522738

Don't let the title put you off. He is the most plain speaking (writer) ever. Very insightful, honest, and entertaining.

Diets are great to come down towards your normal weight range but a temporary thing. From then, by overall having a balance and by doing regular weights, you'll stay strong & healthy.
    Not a fan of the lean 'dehydrated' look myself, being both too lazy and genetically challenged to ever achieve that.
    Remember abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick, its a given

Don - Studio Musician cobrafast1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post

I know the feeling. I'm 67 years old and I walk about 2.5 miles per day in the summer and 4.5 miles in the winter. The summer heat down here in the tropics just takes too much out of me in the summer to do the 4.5 miles. I do it for two reasons. First is the weight issue. I try to eat less (sometimes unsuccessfully) and do the walking to hopefully lose some weight or at least maintain where I am. Second, I'm a heart patient. I had a heart attack back in 2003, so I try to work out each day to keep the cardiovascular system functioning properly. I also do Tae Bo exercises too to keep my joints from stiffening up. Getting old is not for the wiery, but it sure beats the alternative. My fingers get a workout each day on the fretboard... LOL
    Last edited by cobrafast1; 09-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    PRS SE Semi-Hollow Body - Parker Fly Deluxe - American Fender Stratocaster
    Carvin Quad-X Amp - Carvin Tube 100 - (2) Roctron Intellifex - Gibson EchoPlex
    Mesa Express Pluss 5:25 - Marshall MG100HFX - Egnater Rebel 20 - DODFX54 Attacker - VFE Distortion 3
    Digitech Jam Man Solo.

So I've been at if for about 6 weeks now. First I started walking, then walking faster, then walking longer, then started alternating between jogging and walking. I do upper body workouts mostly just using my own body weight. i.e. pull ups, sit ups, push ups, etc. I've also cleaned up my diet and cut down on alcohol consumption. I've only lost 7.5lbs (yes I am counting that half pound too), but I've gone down two belt notches and I've gained some muscle mass in my upper body and legs. The Experience was a big set back for me (two beer trucks, what's a fella to do?) but I'm back in the saddle now and feeling good.

Let's hear from some other members. Share your stories and inspire us.

I need to get off my rear and make it happen.
    One Life

Since July 20, I've lost 11 pounds.

Here's what I've been doing, plus walking:

http://lowglycemicload.com

With this diet I don't feel hungry all the time, so it's been very easy to stay on. I figure losing a little over a pound a week is a good result. There are studies that show that a faster weight loss goes back on more quickly.

My doctor is very happy with the 1.4 drop in my hemoglobin A1C.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 09-30-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    Fat bottom girls you make the rockin' world go 'round!

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Since July 20, I've lost 11 pounds.

Here's what I've been doing, plus walking:

http://lowglycemicload.com

With this diet I don't feel hungry all the time, so it's been very easy to stay on. I figure losing a little over a pound a week is a good result. There are studies that show that a faster weight loss goes back on more quickly.

My doctor is very happy with the 1.4 drop in my hemoglobin A1C.
    Good for you Les, I'm glad to hear it's working for you!

Those mobile apps that count calories are a great way to keep track of daily calorie intake. Even if you only do it for a month, you'll see where your calorie expenditures come from and you can make choices accordingly.

I can easily lose a pound a day if I eat a all veggie salad for lunch with balsamic (no oil) and a lean dinner. Adult beverages are the trick. I love beer and the hardest part is trying to forget about that "hobby". I keep a 12 pack of Becks Light in the fridge when I'm dieting. 64 calories and it creates an illusion of drinking beer.

Diet alone will do it. But if you can add a form of excercise that you LIKE to your routine a few times a week, that will just act as a multiplier.

For what it's worth, people who know more than I tell me longer, low intensity efforts are more beneficial than short, intense efforts. The 30 mile bike ride at 17mph will shed more fat than a 10 miler at 20+.

One of those calorie counting apps made me realize I need to drastically cut back on my beer intake. I still love beer, but I'll only have a couple over the weekend.

This video also had a big impact on my way of thinking. I think it's pretty solid advice, just be active for 30 minutes a day.

I turn 48 in October, I work on my feet for 12 to 14 hours a day, back in January i was introduce to Crossfit and a modified Paleo diet. Ive always been athletic and competitive by nature, Crossfit satisfies the competitive side of my personality at the same time being able to slowly scale down their workouts until you are up to speed. Ive lost 20lbs since January and feel better mentally and physically than i have since i was in my 20's...Life changer!

BTW: CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Vincenzo View Post
    I turn 48 in October, I work on my feet for 12 to 14 hours a day, back in January i was introduce to Crossfit and a modified Paleo diet. Ive always been athletic and competitive by nature, Crossfit satisfies the competitive side of my personality at the same time being able to slowly scale down their workouts until you are up to speed. Ive lost 20lbs since January and feel better mentally and physically than i have since i was in my 20's...Life changer!

BTW: CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program.
    Happy to hear that, Chef. I just need to start anything, but somehow, can't find the will to do it.

Brother I hear you loud and clear man.... baby steps...both our lifestyles make it hard to be disciplined but there comes a point when you become tired of feeling like **** as we get older and you make the decision to make a change... not easy to do but when you are ready you will do it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © View Post
    Get it ready for Cliff and Cave dwelling next summer ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Vincenzo View Post
    Get it ready for Cliff and Cave dwelling next summer ;-)
    We need to start coordinating soon, Vinnie!

One Life