Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Exercise routine

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread.
    Good. I seriously have to do something. Been talking about it for years. Starting and stopping... never really making a difference.

It's time.
    One Life

After a rough month, I'm back on track. My exercise routine has actually flattened out but I'm becoming more aware of my diet. I've drastically cut down on carbs, so now I'll eat two cookies instead of 12 or I'll drink one beer instead of four. Anyway, I've dropped 15 lbs and I'm thrilled with my progress. Let me hear your success stories, I need more motivation.
    Nice. Well I know I've dropped 10 pounds over six months with my cycling and eating decently. Not that I was ever a big guy at all, but I weigh the same at 33 as I did at 20 and I'm in better shape.

I'll gauge my real success after I go to the doc for a check up next week. I dida health assessment in April and wasn't happy with some of my results. I got serious and made my changes at the beginning of June, so I'm interested to see what six months can do!
    --Garrett--

Hey Hans (and anyone else that cares), I've had some great success lately, 22 pounds in 14 weeks and I was never heavy to begin with. Now leaner than I was at 17-27 and feeling fantastic. I have learnt a bunch about nutrition and exercise, and it really is simple to lose a bunch of weight quickly and healthily.

If you're happy for me to, I'll post some links every day or 2 to share this knowledge.

Here's a start to hopefully pique your interest:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/taubes-att...e-stossel-show

After a rough month, I'm back on track. My exercise routine has actually flattened out but I'm becoming more aware of my diet. I've drastically cut down on carbs, so now I'll eat two cookies instead of 12 or I'll drink one beer instead of four. Anyway, I've dropped 15 lbs and I'm thrilled with my progress. Let me hear your success stories, I need more motivation.
    Motivation time!

I had blood tests done back in April, and again today. Leading up to the April test, I had been slipping further and further out of shape for a year or two. In May, I adjusted my diet for the better and in June I started cycling regularly.

Total cholesterol: 199 --> 160
    HDL (good) cholesterol: 21 --> 41
    LDL (bad) cholesterol: 144 --> 94
    Risk Ratio: 9.5 --> 3.9 (3.5 is considered ideal)

This is a great result! Everything is in the happy range now. This is all very important to me because my dad has heart disease and had two heart attacks in his early 40's. I definitely do not want to go down that road!

Keep up the good work, it pays off.
    --Garrett--

Hey Garrett, I'm interested what adjustments you made to your diet?

Also I just saw this, this guy is phenomenal! Some fitness goals in there for me (do one rep of any of these!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

I like You Shawn was looking for a way to excersise at my own time. going to a gym was not working especially when I had two young boys I could not leave un attended and my wife worked a later shift. I own a bowflex and work out daily. I just take Sundays off. I work out two muscle groups a day. I also enjoy bike riding in the summer but have a stationary trainer to put my bike in. Running is just to hard on my joints. I eat 6 smaller meals a day. when I can eat a full meal or such I take in Whey protien.I don`t drink sodas at all. Pretty much water Bowflex also has what they call select tech dumb bells where you dial up the weight and then lift out of holder and only the wieghts you want are on the bar. Strength training is important. After age 30 we start losing muscle mass- especially if not using them. Mucsle is what burns calories. The more musce mass the more one can eat. That is why older people do NOT need very much calorie intake as they don`thave the muscle mass to burn it. Cicuit training is the best. keeps heart rate up. I am 50 going to be 51 this summer. I am 6`1" tall and wiegh in the 180 to 185lb range( can change 2 ro 3 lbs over night lol) I have a 32" waist also. the pic was from about two years ago. I changed up my routine and am even more toned yet. I feel great and stronger than when I was in my 20s.
    2010 Taylor 816CE
    2012 PRS P22 in black gold wrap around

Gentlemen... IMO it is 90% Diet and 10% Exercise. I work out 6 days a week with at least 30 mins of cardio and another 30 min of strength training. the missing link to my waistline is my diet.. my portions are way too big.. The key is ( and I keep telling myself) is 5-6 small meals a day..
    ZebraPRS
    Guitars: 1967 Gibson Byrdland; 1995 PRS Custom 24; 20?? PRS Custom 24 Custom Zebra Stripes, 2009 25th McCarty NF, 2011 Custom 24, 2013 PRS HBII,
    Amps: PRS Original Sewell 50 watt #43 with Paisley 2x12 cab; PRS Pre-Prod 2 Channel C with 2x12 DB Cabinet, PRS Custom 10 watt head

Quote Originally Posted by zebraprs View Post
    Gentlemen... IMO it is 90% Diet and 10% Exercise. I work out 6 days a week with at least 30 mins of cardio and another 30 min of strength training. the missing link to my waistline is my diet.. my portions are way too big.. The key is ( and I keep telling myself) is 5-6 small meals a day..
    you do have a point. instead of counting calories which is difficult a portion is the size of ones palm. So a portion of meat--- carbs-- vegies etc should fit in the palm. so depending on size it can vary. eating out is one of the things that is not good as portion sizes are always way too much. when I say portion I am saying PER food unit not total meal!
    2010 Taylor 816CE

Quote Originally Posted by zebraprs View Post
    I've thought of it lately as 80% diet, 15% exercise and 5% mental. Your mental state plays a big role in weight loss, if you're stressed, the body releases cortisol which amongst other things, can mess with your fat loss. Funnily enough over-training can have the same effect!

I highly recommend looking into the primal/paleo diet, it totally goes against what we think is right in regards to diet. There is a lot of facets to it, but one is not eating 5-6 small meals per day. The conventional thinking is this keeps your metabolism up, but all you're doing is putting quick burning foods into the body (e.g. carbs) several times a day, and never using your body fat for what it was supposed to, and that's supplying you energy between meals. Think of it as filling up your car everytime the tank gets to 3/4 full.

If you get used to having higher fat/lower carbs in your diet, you will be fuller for much longer (as fat takes longer to metabolise, however is more energy and nutrient dense than grain or sugar based foods), and you get "fat adapted" or better at ketosis, you'll be able to burn fat off a lot easier.

A couple of good reads are "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes and "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson

I used to say 70% was rest and recovery, 20% diet, 10% work out...that is if you are working out 4-6 days a week. Do not underestimate the importance of sleep and rest if you are really going at it....without it you overtrain and don't allow your body to recover in between workouts.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
    I like You Shawn was looking for a way to excersise at my own time. going to a gym was not working especially when I had two young boys I could not leave un attended and my wife worked a later shift. I own a bowflex and work out daily. I just take Sundays off. I work out two muscle groups a day. I also enjoy bike riding in the summer but have a stationary trainer to put my bike in. Running is just to hard on my joints. I eat 6 smaller meals a day. when I can eat a full meal or such I take in Whey protien.I don`t drink sodas at all. Pretty much water Bowflex also has what they call select tech dumb bells where you dial up the weight and then lift out of holder and only the wieghts you want are on the bar. Strength training is important. After age 30 we start losing muscle mass- especially if not using them. Mucsle is what burns calories. The more musce mass the more one can eat. That is why older people do NOT need very much calorie intake as they don`thave the muscle mass to burn it. Cicuit training is the best. keeps heart rate up. I am 50 going to be 51 this summer. I am 6`1" tall and wiegh in the 180 to 185lb range( can change 2 ro 3 lbs over night lol) I have a 32" waist also. the pic was from about two years ago. I changed up my routine and am even more toned yet. I feel great and stronger than when I was in my 20s.
    Damn James Bond, seriously looking good!

My exercise routine has fallen off during the winter months, but my food choices have become more stringent. I don't eat many carbs, once in a while I'll have a tortilla, beans or some rice as part of a meal (but i do still eat cherios for breakfast). I cut back on alcohol consumption and do not drink on week days. I do not eat fast food or drink soda. Now if I'm at the point of "I could eat", I choose not to. I've lost 16 lbs since I started this thread. I've had a few set backs, but I keep plugging away and I feel progress has been made.

Leeasam, my hat is off to you! You're an inspiration!

Manual labour,no alcohol,bicycle or walk to work or wherever you usually take car.Eat because you need to not because you want to.Eat fruits in between meals.
    Last edited by swede71; 01-28-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
    Looking boss!

Damn James Bond, seriously looking good!

My exercise routine has fallen off during the winter months, but my food choices have become more stringent. I don't eat many carbs, once in a while I'll have a tortilla, beans or some rice as part of a meal (but i do still eat cherios for breakfast). I cut back on alcohol consumption and do not drink on week days. I do not eat fast food or drink soda. Now if I'm at the point of "I could eat", I choose not to. I've lost 16 lbs since I started this thread. I've had a few set backs, but I keep plugging away and I feel progress has been made.
    good for you. I know it does start out getting mentally focused on it. I have gotten to the point where the work out is kind of addictive lol. endorphine rush etc. on Sundays I do eat junk food. I kind of went off the Bill Phillips body for life thing. Eat good through the week and take one day to eat junk. keeps my craving for carbs down and know there is always a treat lol. I am one person that loves sweets. I love baked goods and my wife is good at it but I tell her not to do it much as I will dang near eat the whole pan !!!!

I have heard( my mom`s husband does this too) where if you are at a desk alot get an excersise ball to sit on. ( don`t get the cheap ones they fail too easy-- I have a Golds Gym one that has lasted for a few years-- it does have sand in it to keep from rolling cross the room! ) sitting on these instead of a chair forces you to use core muscles for balance and posture. even this can burn calories!

I do drink coffee at times on weekends. BLACK.
    2010 Taylor 816CE

In a park a few blocks from my house they recently built a small circuit with pull up bars, balance beams, etc. As soon as it warms up I'll be using it regularly. I have an exercise ball, I should bring it to work and use it in the meantime.

One thing I forgot to mention about my diet, I've been drinking a minimum of 74 ounces of water per day. I don't know how I came up with that number, but it's doable so I'm sticking with it.

In a park a few blocks from my house they recently built a small circuit with pull up bars, balance beams, etc. As soon as it warms up I'll be using it regularly. I have an exercise ball, I should bring it to work and use it in the meantime.

One thing I forgot to mention about my diet, I've been drinking a minimum of 74 ounces of water per day. I don't know how I came up with that number, but it's doable so I'm sticking with it.
    sounds like a plan!
    2010 Taylor 816CE

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Hey Garrett, I'm interested what adjustments you made to your diet?

Also I just saw this, this guy is phenomenal! Some fitness goals in there for me (do one rep of any of these!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw
    We've been eating well at home for several years, so the main thing I did was cut out fast food at lunch. I had done this before a few years ago. There are a couple of food courts near work, so I'd slipped into the routine of eating Chik Fil A about once a week along with questionable chicken dishes at the Asian places. Even when I ate "healthy" at the more homestyle place, everything was loaded with salt. My idea of a fast food lunch now is Subway or the Mexican places, but I calculate the nutrition.

One thing I hadn't done before was to make sure I get more protein and fiber with breakfast. I general already ate the "good" cereals, but now I'm more likely to have granola with Greek yogurt or "great" cereals.

I also changed the way I snack. I used to go for granola bars, but switched to nuts like almonds or cashews. About the same calorie load, but less sugar/carbs and more lasting nutrition. When I do want a bar, I go for Clif Bars, which have whole grains, are minimally processed and have plenty of protein. These have become a fixture on my cycling days.

I still treat myself occasionally with greasy foods, but it's a rare occasion. I still have dessert every night, in reasonable portions, and a beer or a couple of glasses of wine several days a week. So it's not like I feel deprived.
    --Garrett--

Hey guys, this is a good summary of what I've been doing

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-big...eam-nutrition/