Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Exercise routine

You guys should check out the documentary "Hungry for change".

My parents have been on a similar health path since they were in their forties (circa 1980). Now they're in their mid 70s and I would'nt know how to describe how healthy and active they are at that age. I think my father can still kick the crap out of me and my bros at country skiing, and not on flat grounds. And him and mom drive 2 times a year from montreal to florida in two days straight. He is 76 yr old and doesn't take one pill...
    This is not about diets or magic exercises... Its about a lifestyle and enclose every aspect of ones life.

Anyways, check out "Hungry for change". It is worth it. Your health is worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    So I find I need to exercise more than I used to, just to maintain a healthy weight. I try to watch what I eat and walk 5-6 days a week. I'm not much of a runner, so I walk instead. I have to do something so my butt doesn't look fat in those jeans.

What exercise/diet routines do you guys follow?
    Get a gym membership...I do 16 different machines...100 reps,in sets of 25...on the abdominal crunch machine i do 200 reps. I do this three times a week. Keep the weight heavy enough to give yourself some burn at the end of each set of 25. To be effective,exercise must be part of your lifestyle!!! After 30 years...at 62...I still fit in my jeans!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes in life you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Dave

Cycling is my thing. Unfortunately, despite logging more than 9,000 miles in 2012, my weight was at an all time high. I also do and have done resistance training for the last 40 years. I want to give yoga a try someday soon.
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

I tried the P90X workouts and they worked amazingly well... but I don't have the time to spend each day, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, so I tried the 10 Minute Trainer from the same people and it works great too. There are 5 10 minute workouts that will kick your butt if you combine a few each day. I have been slacking since the holidays and I'm ready to start back up and get back to feeling good again. But with any type of program, eating right is the main thing along with the exercise. Good luck on finding what works for you!
    ~ Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Son, the HX/DA is a man's amp. One channel, not two, 50 watts of red hot glass crankin' out a tone that's big as...well...it's big.

Good for you Les!

They say walking burns as many calories as running. I don't know if that is true, but "they" say it anyway.
    That is 100%, for a given distance. However if you're comparing calories expended based on time, running burns a LOT more calories.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Glad to know that,this is quit impressive i pray for them that they remain like this always.That must be because the good diet and maintaining all physical stuff.
    You should take care of their physicality and the diet especially.
    Last edited by Adler; 02-23-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Here's a start to hopefully pique your interest:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/taubes-att...e-stossel-show
    This is the same basic diet I follow. (just add a couple of drinks on the weekend and a little snacking from time to time).

The gym Monday-Friday. 20 mins cardio and then weights.
    How 'bout them Cowboys

When I turned 40, I started playing golf. I'm 56 now and have lost 40 lbs over this time span....I know it's been a slow process but I would still be 240 or more if I didn't. Walking 18 holes two to three times a week is like walking 18+ miles. My wife also keeps me busy with house work... ever try bringing a cubic yard of gravel up a steep hill? It took 20 wheel barrels going backwards up the hill this weekend.
    Frank Bello
    PRS CUSTOM 24
    http://frankbello56.blogspot.com/

Thats crazy, good for you.
    How 'bout them Cowboys

I don't get out on the bike trail too much, but I do ride the stationary bike a fair bit. We're not the people who get the bikes and let them become clothes storage - we're on the fourth bike, and we've worn the other three out. The current one is a Livestrong recumbent that tracks your data - I checked the other day, and in about two years, I've got close to 3100 miles on it. That I've tracked to my ID. I'm in winter mode, so I'm doing the 35 minutes I do on the mornings I work at home, plus another 45 at a slightly slower pace 5-6 days a week. And a little weight lifting.

Like the neck on my SC 245 - still wide fat.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

This is the same basic diet I follow. (just add a couple of drinks on the weekend and a little snacking from time to time).
    That's great Shawn, you'll keep on dropping weight for sure! I'm doing some further reading now, Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories" which explores the conventional medical wisdom theory of fat accumulation is simple caloric difference (e.g. putting more in than what you use), and proposes a counter theory that it's only carbs which lead to fat accumulation, carbs drive insulin levels in your bloodstream, insulin levels in your bloodstream regulate fat accumulation.

The other theory is eating the same amount of calories from fat/protein will yield much less fat storage than the same amount of calories from carbs. How is this possible? Where does the energy difference go? It takes more energy to metabolise fatty acids into ketones/glucose, than it does to turn carbs in to glucose (unless it's already glucose of course!).

It's turning it less into a physics theory and more into a physiological theory.

I've just started an experiment on myself with severe carb restriction, I'm at around <30g of carbs per day (ketogenic diet) and the 2nd day in. The theory goes that you enter a state called ketosis, where since you don't have carbs available, your liver starts making ketones for your brain to use (instead of glucose) and you also start accessing your own body fat storage more readily and more efficiently. What's the benefit? More energy than ever before (since there's no carb high/low insulin rollercoaster), longer period between meals before hunger, and increase efficiency of burning fat cells.

Ok maybe I find this stuff way too fascinating, but I do want to share this with you guys: You don't need to exercise like a maniac to lose weight, it's mainly diet. If you can minimise your carbs, and get most of your energy from protein/fat (assuming it's from a good free-range or organic source, and not polyunsaturated) then you will lose weight, lots of it, and very quickly. The other benefit is you'll be less likely to cause inflammation within your arteries, and less likely to have a cardiovascular disease, since we're now finally coming to the realisation that dietary let alone blood cholestrol is not responsible for CVD.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthsci...he-Real-Enemy/