Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise routine

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Good for you Les!

They say walking burns as many calories as running. I don't know if that is true, but "they" say it anyway.
    Might be true as long as you walk the same distance as you would run =D
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

I pop my ipod on and try to ride the mountain bike a couple times a week for at least 10 miles a ride. Trails and pavement, ride hard thru the woods and ride easy on pavement catching my breath...till I see a hot jogger . Try to stay away from fast food but have some pizza on fridays..lol love pizza! Had a stroke 8 yearsago and I'm only 45 so I got a big wakeup call!! Used to smoke ciggs and ate crap all the time...the change in food alone I started loosing weight!! Just gotta eat right and keep moving!! and stay away from soda...another treat I like!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

Hey Shawn. Do you go to the gym? Or is this something you want to accomplish outside of that environment? My wife is a personal trainer and I'll see if she can offer some advice or a training program.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxmax View Post
    cool, got pics?

unfortunately not
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Yeah...and bunny slippers...while shredding on a Dragon...from what I've been able to gather!

And you make it look good!

The Bunny Slippers were a gift from Murali.............. Really
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Not long after I started working in an office I found I couldn't eat quite as much as when I was younger and more active. I switched to this diet: eat whatever I want for breakfast, whatever I want for lunch and whatever I want for dinner - but nothing else. In recent years I've found I have to convince myself that I don't want much for lunch.

As far as exercise, I ride a bicycle a decent amount and do weight training with modest weights. I probably due some kind of exercise 5-6 times a week.

A buddy of mine is into the Crossfit thing and he swears by it. He has lost weight and looks great. I'm no going with the full-on paleo diet, but I've certainly cut back on my carb intake.
    I'd rather not join a gym or club because I like exercising on my own schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    A buddy of mine is into the Crossfit thing and he swears by it. He has lost weight and looks great. I'm no going with the full-on paleo diet, but I've certainly cut back on my carb intake.
    I'd rather not join a gym or club because I like exercising on my own schedule.
    You could always take on an extra job at the factory and replace the fork lift when wood shipments come in

Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

I'm turning 35 soon and have never had an issue with keeping fat off for until the past couple of years. I've got into the whole paleo/primal thing and having great results. Mark Sisson has a great book (The Primal Blueprint) and blog (www.marksdailyapple.com), and is basically a lifestyle plan rather then diet and exercise. It says to avoid grains and sugars, eat organic when possible, embrace saturated fats, move slowly often (e.g. walking), lift heavy things a couple times a week, do sprints once a week, have play time, sleep lots etc. I'm well on my way to being "fat adapted" and have effortly lost about 15lb in 10 weeks. It's not 100% strict and allows for lapses from time to time.

It focuses on glycemic load and insulin response, cholesterol etc which is obviously important for long health, and I'm finding it fascinating to learn about.

Highly recommend the book and blog, I've got more energy than before, dropping weight like nothing else and feel great.

I lost around 50 lbs across 2 years without working out too much. The biggest help for me was to stop eating out and cooking most of my meals. This allowed me to control portions and keep an eye on ingredients. There were a couple of times where my weight plateaued for weeks, I got hung up at 200 lbs and it took well over a month to break through that barrier. I thought my scale was broken or intentionally messing with me! Recently I picked up a set of used powerblocks to help build up some muscle to help me get rid of the last 10 amazingly stubborn pounds.

Just be sure to allow yourself some wiggle room so you can enjoy the things you like, or you can find yourself annihilating a bag of cookies in record time. I have learned to make a pretty mean pizza from scratch to help keep the pizza monster away.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I'm turning 35 soon and have never had an issue with keeping fat off for until the past couple of years. I've got into the whole paleo/primal thing and having great results. Mark Sisson has a great book (The Primal Blueprint) and blog (www.marksdailyapple.com), and is basically a lifestyle plan rather then diet and exercise. It says to avoid grains and sugars, eat organic when possible, embrace saturated fats, move slowly often (e.g. walking), lift heavy things a couple times a week, do sprints once a week, have play time, sleep lots etc. I'm well on my way to being "fat adapted" and have effortly lost about 15lb in 10 weeks. It's not 100% strict and allows for lapses from time to time.

It focuses on glycemic load and insulin response, cholesterol etc which is obviously important for long health, and I'm finding it fascinating to learn about.

Highly recommend the book and blog, I've got more energy than before, dropping weight like nothing else and feel great.
    I think that looks really interesting! It just makes sense to use your body in the way it was intended to be used. Thanks for the link!

DGT Club Vice President
    Don't bike with headphones on!! Dangerous...and usually illegal! But more on the very dangerous side!

mgd

DGTs

A big lesson to take away from this thread is to respect your joints! More than a couple of us here were a little too over indulgent in our younger years and have destroyed our hips and/or knees. PAY ATTENTION to what your doctor says and let things properly heal if you make a mistake. Of course, avoid falling out of moving car windows at 40 MPH and don't go insani-skiing at Alta at age 40 with a bunch of pros, or insist on running marathons after the doctor tells you NOT to. You will regret it. And contrary to popular belief, you are not invincible. Walks with the wife and dog are a great way to keep fit.

And Markie looks HOT in spandex.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think that looks really interesting! It just makes sense to use your body in the way it was intended to be used. Thanks for the link!
    agree, it makes sense we evolved for millions of years on meat, eggs, nuts etc but only in the last 10,000 years have we had access to lots of grains through agriculture. It's not just digestion/insulin response too, but apparently grains have "anti-nutrients" (things that interfere with our absorption of nutrients). I don't want to bang on too much about this, but here's the intro http://cdn.marksdailyapple.com/wordp...printIntro.pdf which again, I highly recommend reading. If you want to know more, then subscribe on his site, you get some cool links and he sends you some daily lessons which are also great.

On the joints thing, I've also been trying to get into the minimalist shoe thing. I over did it about 6 months back and got a stress fracture in my foot... I have been reading a book by Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton (mentioned in "Born to Run", fantastic book!) and his way of running is almost zero impact. Sounds weird I know, but by using your feet as a gauge (he says you MUST go barefoot), bending your legs lots, leading with the hips, relaxing your calves, curling your toes for a ball-toes-heel strike, keeping upper body straight, head up etc, you can run and run without injury, yes even on hard surfaces and rocky trails! Here's a quote from Daniel E. Lieberman (professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard):

“By landing on the middle or front of the foot, barefoot runners have almost no impact collision, much less than most shod runners generate when they heel-strike"

I went for a quick run the other day attempting to use the barefoot technique and had no problems the next day, will do more and more in the coming months and see how it goes...

Go cycling. Repeat. I enjoy it because I'm outdoors and going somewhere, rather than sweating in a gym indoors. It becomes an experience rather than a chore. But basically find anything you find enjoyable, something you'll want to do and not just feel obligated to do.

Adjusting your diet goes a long way. Whole grains, nuts, fuits and veggies, lean protein, limit processed foods. The stuff your body is designed to eat. I've been amazed at how much better I feel and how much more energy I have when I eat right. Same or less calorie intake compared to when I ate junk, but much better return.
    --Garrett--

I am gonna get taller... then the weight will redistribute ....I am with you Shawn...have started walking about 4 times a week for about 3 miles each day.... and have cut out sweets...while I am trying to lose I am only eating a non fat yogurt for breakfast and fruit for lunch then a regular dinner and nothing after.....

At 62 my Dr says I am in great health but must lose weight!!!!

"nobody loves a fat man ...but oh how a fat man can love"

Ron
    Ron........2005 PRS Custom 22 Anniversary Artist Quilt
    2008 1957/2008 LTD PRS Experience CU 22 ..2007 Limited edition Rosewood SC Trem
    2007 Hollow Body 1- 10 top, birds, piezo,
    2007 MIRA Lilac with Birds....2007 PRS SC 250 Blue Mateo 10 top
    2007 PRS Swamp Ash Special

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Adjusting your diet goes a long way. Whole grains, nuts, fuits and veggies, lean protein, limit processed foods. The stuff your body is designed to eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronalr View Post
    I am only eating a non fat yogurt for breakfast and fruit for lunch then a regular dinner and nothing after.....
    From what I've been reading (and perhaps I should start with a caveat that I've definitely drunk the kool-aid on this stuff, not that I would ever actually drink kool-aid, or have that stuff in Aus), whole grains aren't that good for you (we weren't designed to eat them, since agriculture has been around a very small percentage of our evolution) and low-fat/non-fat products aren't much chop either. Have a read as Mark Sisson can explain it (and back it up with links) way better than I can:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-a...o-do-about-it/

I do believe 100% in this stuff, I've embraced full-fat foods, dropped grains/carbs/sugar and having amazing results. As I said, I don't want to bang on too much about it, but my intentions are just to share this way of thinking as I believe everyone can have similar results through an easy change in diet and more understanding of cause/effect of the things we eat.

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    From what I've been reading (and perhaps I should start with a caveat that I've definitely drunk the kool-aid on this stuff, not that I would ever actually drink kool-aid, or have that stuff in Aus), whole grains aren't that good for you (we weren't designed to eat them, since agriculture has been around a very small percentage of our evolution) and low-fat/non-fat products aren't much chop either. Have a read as Mark Sisson can explain it (and back it up with links) way better than I can:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-a...o-do-about-it/

I do believe 100% in this stuff, I've embraced full-fat foods, dropped grains/carbs/sugar and having amazing results. As I said, I don't want to bang on too much about it, but my intentions are just to share this way of thinking as I believe everyone can have similar results through an easy change in diet and more understanding of cause/effect of the things we eat.
    Yeah, the low fat/non fat business is generally bad news, unless it's a temporary thing to reduce fat as part of getting in shape. Your body needs that fat. Non-fat yogurt (especially strained) can be a great source of protein though, just as long as it's made with skim milk and not fillers, and isn't loaded with sugar.

True we're not really built for grains, but things like oats and whole wheat are valuable in the diet, just not in the extreme proportions the modern human diet usually involves. Kudos on kicking the sugar. I've reduced mine greatly compared to old times, but I still end up feeding my sweet tooth regularly.

Proper eating is really something that should be taught to kids in school. The science of how the body uses fuel is pretty fascinating and clearly has very practical applications.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Yeah, the low fat/non fat business is generally bad news, unless it's a temporary thing to reduce fat as part of getting in shape. Your body needs that fat. Non-fat yogurt (especially strained) can be a great source of protein though, just as long as it's made with skim milk and not fillers, and isn't loaded with sugar.

True we're not really built for grains, but things like oats and whole wheat are valuable in the diet, just not in the extreme proportions the modern human diet usually involves. Kudos on kicking the sugar. I've reduced mine greatly compared to old times, but I still end up feeding my sweet tooth regularly.

Proper eating is really something that should be taught to kids in school. The science of how the body uses fuel is pretty fascinating and clearly has very practical applications.
    I was listening to a podcast yesterday that talked about genetically altered wheat acting like an opiate... lol... no wonder I love my pizza!

http://beforeitsnews.com/food-and-fa...e-2444384.html

As an avid distance runner, mountaineer, & backpacker, exercise is something near and dear to me. I used to be non-active until my mid 20's. Then the doctor told me I was going to have to go on blood pressure lowering drugs and that's when it all changed for me. I've been reading through the posts and I'm going to add some of my own personal insight and expertise.

1) On the issue of reducing carbs, forget it. Eat what comes naturally to you without consciously limiting certain intakes. I'm not saying there should be total indiscretion. Obviously, fast food and soda should be moderated... but... out of the normal food spectrum you should just eat what you want. People who limit certain things such as carbs often have insatiable cravings that are never satisfied. This means actually eating more of other things and more total calories in the long run.

2) Forget the walking. I don't want to offend anyone but walking as a form of exercise is a complete waste of time. Walking does not get your heart rate to levels that have any cardio benefit whatsover. It also burns very minimal calories. It's been proven that running the same distance actually burns more calories... not to mention taking far less time. Vigorous exercise not only burns more calories in a shorter time but it activates several healthy processes in your body that have medicinal and metabolic benefits. Every time you exercise hard, your metabolism spikes, meaning you'll keep burning extra calories for sometimes hours after the exercise is completed. Weight training and running are 2 things that will spike ones metabolism for an extended period of time.