Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Guitars?

Shipping Guitars?

When it comes to shipping guitars I"ve always been meticulous at packing. I usually slacken the strings, fill any empty areas in the case and then pack the case with several inches of bubblewrap before boxing it. Lately I've noticed more guitars simply being stuck in a box (in their cases of course) with full string tension. Have I been the anal retentive guitar shipper this whole time? Is it necessary to slacken the strings or have redundant wrapping when the guitar is in a form-fitted case?

I don't think it is necessary. It just needs to be snug in the hard case.

I do try to make sure the hard case can't move around in the shipping box. In that regard, bubble wrap is better than foam peanuts.

I shipped my guitars from Japan to South Korea in hard cases and loosened the strings. I didn't have any issues.
    My Guitars:
    2012 PRS Custom 24 SE/2011 Damien Elite-6 FR/2011 Synyster Gates Custom/2010 Prototype Demon-7 FR/2010 Prototype Avenger Devil/2010 Hellraiser Solo-6/
    2009 Blackjack ATX C-8/2005 C-1 Classic/2005 C-1 XXX/2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard/2007 Ovation GC057 Celebrity

They do not loosen the strings when they ship from the factory. However, I will loosen the strings if someone asks me to do so.......
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

I've over packed in the past. Then, figuring if PRS ships them in tune with bubble wrap in each end of the box...why should I feel the need to do more?

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    I've over packed in the past. Then, figuring if PRS ships them in tune with bubble wrap in each end of the box...why should I feel the need to do more?
    That is exactly what I based this post on. From now on I'm going to save myself a lot of time and energy and ship them just as you described.

John Suhr maintains that it's NOT a good idea to lessen the strings.

However, I always overpack (especially on the inside of the case) for one major reason..........I have dealt with UPS claims adjusters on several occasions. They ALWAYS try to deny on shipper's negligence (ie. failure to pack adequately).

One more tip: Take photos (including inside the case) to show your packing. By the time the claim adjuster has it, it may be unpacked.
    Sh*tter's full

They don't slack the strings, but they do use a bit of foam and tape
    For example my P22

It's the neck condom and the card under the strings. Packing mojo...

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    It's the neck condom and the card under the strings. Packing mojo...

............... Mr. Obvious ..............
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

That's Dr. Obvious, to you. I didn't spend 4 years in Obvious School for nothing!

Jamie

Speaking of obvious -- and I know this will be obvious to me once someone tells me -- what's the neck condom do? I was thinking maybe it's some sort of thing to absorb shock, but it seems awfully small for that.

Anyone know?
    Last edited by LSchefman; 09-03-2012 at 06:47 PM.

I think it's just there, kinda' like the strip of paper on your toilet seat, when you check into a hotel. There to let you know it's been "sanitized, for your protection..."

Jamie

I said it once in another thread.

Tie for best guitar packing...Steve P. and Brent Moss.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened up a guitar I bought from Steve. His interior guitar case protection was very thorough...the best I've seen.

A guitar I got from Brent Moss took me forever to get out of the box...he had so much protective wrap and bubble wrap jammed in there it took me at least 20 minutes to get it out....he made triple sure that it would make it over the border in one piece!
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    I think it's just there, kinda' like the strip of paper on your toilet seat, when you check into a hotel. There to let you know it's been "sanitized, for your protection..."

Jamie
    I always thought that strip of paper was there to keep first time toilet users from falling in.

The is no reason to slacken the strings for shipment.

I think the way PRS ships is fine. However ... I buy the small bubble wrap and wrap the outside of the case so it fits a little more snuggly in the box.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

I wish this one was being shipped to my place! Sweet guitar Rango!

1/2" foam sheathing - $10/sheet at Home Depot - cuts easily to fit any shape. I use it for packing/shipping gear all the time.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    1/2" foam sheathing - $10/sheet at Home Depot - cuts easily to fit any shape. I use it for packing/shipping gear all the time.
    I use that trick too. UPS stabbed a 1/2" hole all the way through a guitar case one time (which I fixed with super glue and a coin). Luckily, whatever came through the case didn't hit the 305 inside. The foam may not have stopped whatever that was but protecting the case from damage is a big part of making a clean sale. So... I use it.

I also wrap the case in garbage bags to keep them water tight. I've had guitars end up in the rain during shipment.

PRS has a lot more sway with shippers (if they need to make a claim) than any individual. Plus, the cost of adding a 2nd box to every guitar they ship is probably a lot less than the occasional repair.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 09-04-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    One Life

I'm meticulous concerning packing as well. Anything to decrease your chances of incurring damage is a good idea. However, I don't see any reason to loosen the strings. A guitar is meant to have tension from the strings. If something were to hit the box hard enough to damage the neck, I seriously doubt having less tension from the strings is going to help much. Just my $0.02.