Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Focus Group for CE Lover Petition.

  1. #1
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    5,160

    Focus Group for CE Lover Petition.

    Okay, for all of us that would love to purchase a brand new CE model, what features would you like to see? I figure it would be better to compile a wish list of features in order to gather my mob of enthusiastic consumers for the reintroduction of the most under appreciated, and best model of guitar to ever grace the planet.

    I would like to dispel the notion that the CE was "just" a budget PRS, and it does in fact have a unique and important place in the marketplace for PRS junkies.
    If we are able to compromise among ourselves a list, and explain the demand, I'm sure the "Greatest Guitar Company in the World" will have no choice but to comply.

    So let's hear it! I will start with some basics.

    Alder body with a maple top.
    Flame maple neck with some sort of inlays, just to denote that this is a "premium" guitar.
    Tremolo
    A three way toggle at least, so I can replace it with a rotary. (see, I'm willing to compromise.)
    Don't mess with the old neck joint, it's worked before and shall again.

    If Mike's 7string crusade has taught us anything, we must be diligent in order to prevail.

    I know you are out there, GET IN ON THE LIST!

  2. #2
    Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    765
    I'm with you sergio, would rather have the 5-way type switching, blade even, rather than a 3-way. But if it's a 3-way, do the mini-toggle, not push-pull.

    24 fret maple neck, maple or rosewood fingerboard options.

    Old school birds.

    Alder yes, maple top with a 10-top option.

    SIGN ME UP...right after the 408 I will need to sell an organ for...
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers (incoming)

  3. #3
    Senior Member AP515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Okay, for all of us that would love to purchase a brand new CE model, what features would you like to see?
    All Alder like my 88 CE24, Dragon 1's, 5 way, Phase 2's, trem.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

    PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

  4. #4
    Senior Member slev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Land of the Birds and Moons
    Posts
    262
    I'd like a mahogany body w/o the maple cap (Standard style), five way switch, I like the old birds, Trem and I'd go for 59/09s. I like the flame maple neck too very cool.
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

  5. #5
    Member CE-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    186
    Alder or Ash body with "10" quality maple cap option, chambering option, figured neck option with peghead overlay, rosewood, ebony, or maple fretboards, MOP birds or moons, John Mann tremolo, 3 way toggle or 5-way rotary, sweet switch option, Standard Treble/Bass pickups and/or the modern equivalent. Making a Pearl White finish available again would be great!
    Last edited by CE-man; 09-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.

  6. #6
    deus ex machina
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    383
    I am holding out for a reissue of the original '88 CE (a.k.a PRS Electric). After all, 2013 will be the 25th anniversary for this model.

    Unlike late model CEs, the original CE was not a poor man's Custom. It was PRS' answer to the Super Strat. The market wanted a poor man's custom.

  7. #7
    Flamed neck, dark and quarter-sawn rosewood fretboard, abalone birds, alder body, Bud Davis metal paint, T&B reissue pups, 3-way mini-toggle, and mixed hardware.
    One Life

  8. #8
    Senior Member Brad737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    538
    I'd like an alder body, maple top with 10 option, old birds, and McCarty switching. As for neck carves, I'd LOVE a Wide-Fat option. I'm fairly open when it comes to pickups, but for posterity's sake, I'd like HFS/ Vintage Bass & Dragon 1s. I'm also highly in favor of limited release of Bud Davis Metals.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

    http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

  9. #9
    PRS is making all this great new stuff, and everyone has to b&m about what they aren't making!

    No CEs?

    Remind us why they stopped making those...oh yeah. People weren't, you know, actually buying them! So...PRS should do that again.

    Funny people, guitar enthusiasts. I'm glad I play the accordion.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    PRS is making all this great new stuff, and everyone has to b&m about what they aren't making!

    No CEs?

    Remind us why they stopped making those...oh yeah. People weren't, you know, actually buying them! So...PRS should do that again.

    Funny people, guitar enthusiasts. I'm glad I play the accordion.
    Hey, mow your own lawn!

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    29
    eh... so basically, you want pretty much a custom 24 with a maple neck at a price range that would be on par with the custom 24. The great thing about the CEs were the simplicity, the understated looks, and a great middle of the road price. No need for ten tops or flamed necks. A simple opaque or trans finished alder/mahog body with a plain raw maple neck...dot inlays... maybe stainless frets as something different and a pau ferro or ebony board.

  12. #12
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,182
    If PRS were doing a reissue, one would think they'd keep to the specs of the original fairly closely. Doing an anniversary reissue only makes sense if it's that.

  13. #13
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    eh... so basically, you want pretty much a custom 24 with a maple neck at a price range that would be on par with the custom 24. The great thing about the CEs were the simplicity, the understated looks, and a great middle of the road price. No need for ten tops or flamed necks. A simple opaque or trans finished alder/mahog body with a plain raw maple neck...dot inlays... maybe stainless frets as something different and a pau ferro or ebony board.
    Well I would think it would be a little different than a CU24, but I see your point on price. How many of you also see the price point as a defining feature of the CE line?

  14. #14
    Member dmatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    146
    I'll take a stoptail, 5 way switch, and a maple board please... with birdies.
    2001 PRS McRosie Violin Amber Sunburst Abalone birdies
    2008 PRS Mira Vintage Orange with old MOP birdies
    2009 PRS 305 Tri Colour Burst
    2009 PRS SE ONE autographed by Dweezil Zappa
    2011 PRS H combo amp

  15. #15
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708
    First I second Hans' idea...(Except...I would also want the option of mahogany with 59/09's and a push pull or Dragon I's with a five way rotary...also I am partial to 22 fret models)

    Second...the CE's sound very very different than the customs...there is an immediacy and a snap/tightness to them that the customs do not have...I got my first CE in high school...and have loved them ever since....dusted off the second CE22 I ever got last night loaded with dragon i's, trem and five way rotary and ran it through my Mesa Rec rig.....which included my pedal board and an eq in the loop...holy crap it smokes...I thought to myself..."there was the tone I had been chasing recently!!!!"....made me kind of laugh at myself that I went full circle. (at least with that particular tone quest).

    Very glad I held on to that guitar. Took the Metal out after....man that smoked too!!! .I love CE's.

    I wouldn't really change a thing with them...except make them available again.

    They are not a budget guitar...and they definitely have a very unique voice...by the way go tell Suhr, Anderson, Thorn, etc...that they make budget guitars (because of the bolt on neck).

    Call 'em what you want ...in the end they rock and they are unique.
    -Bob

  16. #16
    I agree, the reason to buy one was never truly price, it was to have a bolt-on PRS with a certain feature set.

    They were always super-nice guitars, as is the current SAS, which strikes me as a very nice guitar with the NF pickups and the bolt-on. CE fans really should try one of these, they're quite good, and the NFs are really fine pickups.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 09-09-2012 at 02:05 PM.

  17. #17
    deus ex machina
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    They are not a budget guitar
    However, that's exactly how PRS conceived and positioned the CE. The CE was the PRS SE of its day; namely, an affordable PRS that was within the reach of young guitarists who were mostly playing Super Strats (Gibson was on life support at that point in time). The first CEs were not met with a round of applause. It wasn't because they were not great guitars. It was because guitarists did not consider a CE to be a real PRS. A real PRS was a set-neck guitar. We all know better today. However, the guitar market was very different back in 1988 than it is today. Over time, the CE time the grew into the poor man's Custom.

  18. #18
    deus ex machina
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    They were always super-nice guitars, as is the current SAS, which strikes me as a very nice guitar with the NF pickups and the bolt-on. CE fans really should try one of these, they're quite good, and the NFs are really fine pickups.
    The SAS is a nice guitar, but it has a different performance envelope than the alder-bodied CE.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    The SAS is a nice guitar, but it has a different performance envelope than the alder-bodied CE.
    Definitely true, but for bolt-on neck enthusiasts, it's a heck of a guitar.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    However, that's exactly how PRS conceived and positioned the CE. The CE was the PRS SE of its day; namely, an affordable PRS that was within the reach of young guitarists who were mostly playing Super Strats (Gibson was on life support at that point in time). The first CEs were not met with a round of applause. It wasn't because they were not great guitars. It was because guitarists did not consider a CE to be a real PRS. A real PRS was a set-neck guitar. We all know better today. However, the guitar market was very different back in 1988 than it is today. Over time, the CE time the grew into the poor man's Custom.
    I got my first in 1994. I was in high school...it was the most I could afford at the time and it was a stretch.
    -Bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •