Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Focus Group for CE Lover Petition.

For me the price was absolutely a vital aspect of what made the CE so great. More expensive models are readily available and this was always a great point to get your first 'proper' PRS. It should be modern, practical and down-to-earth. Doing a super-pimped, luxury CE just doesn't seem to make any sense. My perfect CE would be:

Maple neck (no flame, not needed. A nice bonus maybe but not if it adds to the price)
    Mahogany/alder body. Can't quite decide which, but personally I think I'd prefer the mahogany. Option for a maple cap.
    Rosewood fingerboard w/ dot inlays, maybe birds option. Plain maple headstock in either matt black or naked maple, with the classic PRS signature in gold or black, respectively.
    Locking tuners.
    Stoptail/trem option
    Coil split
    A pickup upgrade would be nice - 59/09, perhaps. But classic pickups would still be cool.
    An awesome selection of exclusive colours, much like the 'hot hues' ones.

That would be just about perfect in my eyes!

Thanks for playing along guys, there have been a lot of cool opinions as to what "makes" a CE a CE.

For those of us who would like a couple more "upscale" features available, would you be open to the possibility of purchasing flame maple necks and tops that fall outside of the PRS "standard" for their production models?

Without going through the entire PRS grading system, they originally used "about a 7" for the "classic" models. Could they do the same with some of their less figured necks and still leave you interested?

High commonality of material is an important part of any manufacturing process, and if the Artist package were still available for a new CE model, would you be cool with "classic" grade materials if that meant that birds came standard?
    I'm not all that into birds personally, but it is a feature that most CE's were lacking, and a deal breaker for some potential customers.

A friend has an old CE: alder body with a maple neck and fretboard. One of my absolute favourite guitars to play....and absolute rock monster that is so clear and cuts through a mix! I covet that guitar but he will not sell!

For me, my ultimate CE....one that I would buy....is pretty simple: Alder body with a maple neck and definitely a maple fretboard option.
    Some cool options, but certainly NOT necessary would include: an ebony board option, flame/quilt maple top, figured neck and a stoptail option.

deus ex machina
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    I got my first in 1994. I was in high school...it was the most I could afford at the time and it was a stretch.
    By 1994, the model had come a long way from the stripped-down alder-bodied instrument that debuted in 1988. An instrument that started out as PRS' answer to the Super Strat wound up as a poor man's Custom. The utilitarian metal bat toggle switch had been replaced with the rotary switch. One could even order a CE with a 10-top. The only thing left to do was to change the back from alder to mahogany.

I love the earlier alder bodied CE's too...My very first was an LE run of 100 PRS did for Sam Ash. It was a CE-22 all mahogony with three way switching and 1st year McCarty Pups. Completely different animal than the originals and the eventual evolution of the line. I've played a couple of older Classic Electrics...very unique voice. In relation to the pics of the one you guys were referencing ...haven't played a CE that early.

Btw I wasnt arguing that the model wasnt designed to meet a specific price point...though at the same time I think the feature set, quality, sound, unique voice etc...warrant more than a casual glance over as a "Budget PRS". I just feel that the instrument has enough of its own vibe to distinguish itself from the rest of the set neck pack and is in fact a quality instrument.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 09-10-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: answered in a rush...probably still typos
    -Bob

deus ex machina
    For those who have never seen an original '88 CE24, here's relatively unmolested example (the knobs are not original):

Did you notice that the toggle switch has a metal bat and the headstock says "PRS Electric" instead of having Paul's signature? These stripped-down attributes are part of the charm of the original CE24. The original CE24 was a non-pretentious working man's PRS much in the same way that the basic Mira is a working man's PRS. The model incorporated all of the goodness of a PRS without the flash and associated cost. It was a PRS that no one was afraid to gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Em7 View Post
    For those who have never seen an original '88 CE24, here's relatively unmolested example (the knobs are not original):

Did you notice that the toggle switch has a metal bat and the headstock says "PRS Electric" instead of having Paul's signature? These stripped-down attributes are part of the charm of the original CE24. The original CE24 was a non-pretentious working man's PRS much in the same way that the basic Mira is a working man's PRS. The model incorporated all of the goodness of a PRS without the flash and associated cost. It was a PRS that no one was afraid to gig.
    good old straight ahead badassery right there!
    -Bob

I always thought this Hot Hues Blazing Coppper CE Mahog was pretty sharp. anyone have one?

Cherry Mahog, just because

Alder ain't shabby either

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    good old straight ahead badassery right there!
    I totally agree. I've owned about 65 PRS guitars through the years and have never had one of these. They aren't exactly easy to find.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I always thought this Hot Hues Blazing Coppper CE Mahog was pretty sharp. anyone have one?
    That's the colour I always wanted - fantastic! If PRS were to bring them back I'd love to see more like these, that just stand out a little from the usual PRS colour options.

It's on the floor because you're going to do the guitar version of the Saber Dance, right? Please post the video to YouTube...

I just picked up my 2nd PRS guitar... a 2006 CE22 gold top It is brand "new" in the case. Shipped to Willcutt Guitars by PRS in 2006 and never sold until now It compliments my 2012 Stripped '58 gold top quite well. Some quick pictures...

deus ex machina
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    It's on the floor because you're going to do the guitar version of the Saber Dance, right? Please post the video to YouTube...
    The guitar belongs to another forum member.

deus ex machina
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I totally agree. I've owned about 65 PRS guitars through the years and have never had one of these. They aren't exactly easy to find.
    That's why I am pleased to announce the creation of the 25th Anniversary Original CE24 Lobby.

That's why I am pleased to announce the creation of the 25th Anniversary Original CE24 Lobby.

This is kind of like the Peoples Front of Judea vs The Judean Peoples Front.
    Last edited by sergiodeblanc; 09-11-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: family friendly.

For the record,

I have no problem with this.

deus ex machina
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    This is kind of like the Peoples Front of Judea vs The Judean Peoples Front.
    No, it's more like a single election cycle, single-issue special interest group versus a political movement. Most of the posters in this thread clearly want to see the return of the poor man's Custom as part of the line. I am focused on lobbying PRS to produce a 25th anniversary limited edition of the 1988 PRS Electric (a.k.a. Original CE24) in all of its stripped-down glory.

There it is...that is pretty close to IT for me on a "new" CE

[/QUOTE]
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

I would love to see CEs made available again....in all their various wood combinations, with birds, moons and dots. They are GREAT guitars (IMO) and dare I suggest, every bit as good as set neck models They are just different. I'd also like to see "regular production" set maple neck Custom 22s and 24s. And while I'm at it, might I suggest bringing back Dragon I's, too......My stash is going to run out one day, I'm sure :-)
    Andy