Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Alternative cases for PRS SE Custom Semi Hollow

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8

    Alternative cases for PRS SE Custom Semi Hollow

    I just recently purchased my first PRS guitar (SE Custom Semi Hollow) and I'm very pleased with it, but I really want to find a good hard case for it as it only came with a gig bag

    The official case for it is the PRS Multi-Fit, but I would much prefer a case that was shaped for the guitar (like my Les Paul for example) instead of a big rectangular clunker if possible.
    I figure that this shape is pretty common and should have some third-party support.

    Does anyone have any experience of alternative cases for this axe?

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,104
    I have three of these cases now.
    One for my Santana, one for my son's Semi-Hollow, and one for my new Custom 24.
    They all fit nice and tight.
    $129 @ Sweetwater.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRSCase/

    They have another one for $100, but not sure if it is the same or not.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRSCaseJr/


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8
    Nice collection Thanks for the photo, those look like the original rectangular cases I mentioned.

    I was hoping to find something a bit more like this (clicky) that someone out there might have experience with:


  4. #4
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,104
    Yes, they are the original PRS styles cases.
    They are very well built, and have a HUGE compartment that snaps shut to hold picks, string cleaner, wipe down cloths, and still more room for a cable.

    And plenty of room underneath the mid neck for straps.

    My Gibson SG has the shaped Gibson case for it, but the small compartment underneath the neck hardly holds anything.
    I much prefer the PRS case.

  5. #5
    Hiscox makes a very fine case shaped like a guitar:

    http://www.finecases.com/hiscox-case...itar-case.html

    But I'd get one of the new hybrid cases like these; they look like gig bags, but they are much more structured inside and safer for the guitar than many hard cases:

    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...e?src=3WWRWXGP

    Then again, if you want the best in protection and have a ton of money to spend, go for a real-deal carbon fiber case:

    http://www.carbonfibercases.com

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for the tip on the Hiscox.

    I've sent them an email for confirmation of the fit.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by firecatuk View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the Hiscox.

    I've sent them an email for confirmation of the fit.
    Welcome!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8
    So SKB got back to me - this is their recommended case for the Semi-Hollow: SKB PRS Case

    Sadly it's another one size fits all style, but at least they got back to me unlike Hiscox.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    They have another one for $100, but not sure if it is the same or not.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRSCaseJr/
    Those aren't the same, they're for the Starla.

    I need to pick up one of the $129 cases myself.

  10. #10

  11. #11
    A♥ hoards guitars A♥ rugerpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    deep in the raspberry...
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Then again, if you want the best in protection and have a ton of money to spend, go for a real-deal carbon fiber case:

    http://www.carbonfibercases.com
    wow. Looks like the perfect case for a PS
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8
    So Hiscox replied with the following info:

    Our Prs cases are:
    ES based on CE24
    ESC based on the same model but with a lower bout .

    There is no good fit for your guitar .
    It will go in the following models but I do not know which would be the best fit . Sorry i can not be of more help with this one . You Are welcome to come here to the factory to try them all or find a shop with stock .
    The SG
    The EG
    The ES
    or the ESC

    So a bit disappointing really. It looks like CoreyT is the winner and I'll have to go for the PRS multi-fit (ACC-4255 I think). The local PRS dealer here told me it will be 6 months if I order from them. Total ****!
    Last edited by firecatuk; 10-23-2012 at 11:30 PM.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks CoreyT,

    Would you mind telling me the weight of the Multi-Fits when empty - this doesn't seem to be listed on the official sites. Looks like I may have to ship internationally...

    Thanks

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks very much!

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8
    I just wanted to finalise this forum thread as I think I can offer some good pointers here for anyone else who has the same dilemma as I did about the PRS Multi-Fit case (confirmed model no ACC-4255).

    There were two things that put me off of the Multifit case. First was the fact that its a multi-fit and I thought this would mean the Semi-Hollow was not going to be a great fit (due to the case being designed for several models) and second was the square box design.

    The case arrived yesterday and my first concern was actually all in my head. This hard case is a *perfect* fit for the SE SH Custom. Once the guitar is in the case, there is no evidence at all that other guitars fit in here - it may as well be called the SE semi-hollow case instead of multi-fit. You get the idea.
    The second concern was somewhat justified - this case *is* a bit of a clunker and would not be fun to carry around for very long. It does have more space for accessories than my other cases, but with only the guitar inside it's 9.5Kg (21lbs) compared to my Les Paul in it's original case at 7.5Kg (16.5lbs) and the Les Paul is a much, much heavier guitar. The LP Case has a leather handle instead of plastic too which is kinder to your hand when lugging it about. For completeness my strat also in an original hard case weighs 6.5Kg (14lbs).

    That said the fact that the case is such a good fit means I can kinda look past the extra weight - no way I'll carry it around in there though - the gig bag the guitar came with will come in use for that after all!

    Also for the record Sweetwater don't ship PRS outside of US, but I ordered mine from Thomann who handle international orders to a lot of places with no hassles.
    http://www.thomann.de/intl/prs_case_vintage.htm

    Thanks again for the help along the way.

  18. #18
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,104
    Glad the case is working out for you.

    Yes, pretty amazing that most guitars will fit in the case.
    All three SEs I have bought so far fit perfectly inside even though they are all shaped different.
    And my SE Tremonti Custom that should arrive this week is even suppose to fit one, hence why I bought another case awhile back.

    Yep, not as compact either as my Gibson SG case, but I like the extra big compartment for stuff in these.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Chris528's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by firecatuk View Post
    I just wanted to finalise this forum thread as I think I can offer some good pointers here for anyone else who has the same dilemma as I did about the PRS Multi-Fit case (confirmed model no ACC-4255).

    There were two things that put me off of the Multifit case. First was the fact that its a multi-fit and I thought this would mean the Semi-Hollow was not going to be a great fit (due to the case being designed for several models) and second was the square box design.

    The case arrived yesterday and my first concern was actually all in my head. This hard case is a *perfect* fit for the SE SH Custom. Once the guitar is in the case, there is no evidence at all that other guitars fit in here - it may as well be called the SE semi-hollow case instead of multi-fit. You get the idea.
    The second concern was somewhat justified - this case *is* a bit of a clunker and would not be fun to carry around for very long. It does have more space for accessories than my other cases, but with only the guitar inside it's 9.5Kg (21lbs) compared to my Les Paul in it's original case at 7.5Kg (16.5lbs) and the Les Paul is a much, much heavier guitar. The LP Case has a leather handle instead of plastic too which is kinder to your hand when lugging it about. For completeness my strat also in an original hard case weighs 6.5Kg (14lbs).

    That said the fact that the case is such a good fit means I can kinda look past the extra weight - no way I'll carry it around in there though - the gig bag the guitar came with will come in use for that after all!

    Also for the record Sweetwater don't ship PRS outside of US, but I ordered mine from Thomann who handle international orders to a lot of places with no hassles.
    http://www.thomann.de/intl/prs_case_vintage.htm

    Thanks again for the help along the way.
    Any chance you or Corey can take a close up pic of the guitar in the case? I want to get a case for my SH with Bigsby, but when folding the Bigsby arm over it is below the bottom of the guitar so wasn't sure if it will fit.
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

  20. #20
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,104
    I think that picture I posted earlier of my sons semi hollow is the only one I have with it in its case.
    All three of my SEs have trem arms, but I cannot have them on when putting them in the case.
    The lid pushes down on the trem arm.

    Well I do have a new SKB case for my SE Tremonti Custom, as the Multifit case was a very poor fit, the neck would not lay flat, as the Tremonti is a fat girl, and the bottom of the case is not deep enough.
    You can see that here.
    http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...remonti-Custom
    But if you want a very tough case, that SKB one I have for the Tremonti fits all of my other SEs great too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •