Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance for PRS Guitars...Input needed here

I use USAA and have coverage for my instruments and photo equipment under a "valuable property" coverage. I just set this up, but the woman with USAA made a good point with me, don't get coverage for what you paid, get coverage for MSRP for the simple fact that if you got a deal or something, if you need to replace it, you might not be able to get the same deal again.

This thread brings up some good points. 11top FTW!!! I need to do this.
    Plank Owner

State Farm charged us $25per year to cover my five guitars and one amp with no deductible. This was an addition to the wife's jewelry policy.

i am just about to sign up with clarion anythoughts?

Hi guys. I must admit, I've been an idiot and never gotten around to insuring my instruments. Can any of you recommend a good place to get appraisals? I checked Gruhn's website, but he charges $50 per appraisal. With over 40 guitars, that's a pretty big chunk of change.

Also, how often should I update the appraisals?

Also, do you recommend a floater on my homeowner's policy, or just a separate policy through Heritage?

Thanks,
    Brad
    Last edited by Brad737; 10-18-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Narrowfield Pickup Fan HANGAR18's Avatar
    Thanks for all the great info! Calling my agent about my guitar collection is officially on my list of things to do.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP - ALICE COOPER

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post

Also, do you recommend a floater on my homeowner's policy, or just a separate policy through Heritage?

Thanks,
    Brad
    my experience, ymmv:
    1) homeowners policies do not provide adequate coverage for the value of my accumulation of gear
    2) inland marine policies will only cover gear that stays in your house or that you take over to a friend's to jam but will not cover gigging
    3) Heritage coverage was painless to acquire and update as my gear changed

I use a combination of 2 and 3, anything that I think will ever leave my house going to #3
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas}