Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straplocks

DGT Club Vice President

Straplocks

So, last night I took my Schallers off my Goldtop DGT - for the second time...is this a mental condition? After the Experience, with the exception of Davy K, everyone seemed to be happy with the standard P-Bass string guide PRS strap thingys.

What are the rest of you all doing?

I bought some Dunlops, but the screws were bigger than the factory screws and wouldn't work with each other. I also wasn't about to make those holes bigger...that sounds wrong.

mgd

DGTs

I like the stock strap buttons and have had zero problem with them for the past 21 years.

Then again, I had zero problems with the stock strap buttons on Gibsons for the 25 years before that. so maybe I'd have to jump around a lot or something to make the strap fall off...

I have the dunlops on my gtrs and yes it was a scary tight fit, but the screws went in without spliting the wood. I am a die hard, old school dunlop fan, so they will be there as long as I own the gtrs ( my lifetime ). It was a SCARY install though. If I order another, I will have PRS do it for me prior to shipping from the factory. At your own risk.......SCARY!

I use Dunlop Strap Locks on every guitar, it's one of those things that I do right away. There are 2 things I do to all of my PRS guitars and installing strap locks is one, the other is to add indicators to the knobs.

Standard PRS buttons for me...I hate When people replace them...over tighten them and screw up the finish or drill holes in em...I mean I don't care if it's yours....I just care when I buy...and find surprises I'd rather not find.
    -Bob

all of my PRS has Dunlop Strap Locks. I also like the Schaller ones.

10 o' Clubs & GC SalesRep OsirisProtocol's Avatar
    I have no problem with the stock strap buttons but I do use and swear by Schaller Straplocks. I usually us a piece of felt I cut in a circle as padding underneath the button before screwing it on.
    -Denny
    BAM Survivor

I use Schallers, mainly to preserve the nitro finish on my guitars but also to prevent damage to my guitars at gigs.

Davy Knowles never used to use Schallers, just the standard buttons, but I see he’s switched now. Probably for the same reasons as me

Straplocks by Schaller on all of my guitars except for the little Fernandes one.
    I use it without a strap.

I also use the guitars stock screws, they work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Standard PRS buttons for me...
    +1. Never have a problem. In fact I like the standard PRS strap buttons so much I changed back from Schaller to the standard PRS on my 10+lb SC.
    Gear: Fender, PRS, Orange, Budda

Quote Originally Posted by OsirisProtocol View Post
    I have no problem with the stock strap buttons but I do use and swear by Schaller Straplocks. I usually us a piece of felt I cut in a circle as padding underneath the button before screwing it on.
    A little bit of effort goes a long way! Basically I wouldn't be complaining except for a couple of unfortunate surprises I've had when buying used.
    -Bob

Schallers on just about every guitar I own...

I also typically use the original strap button screws...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Going to soon try the planet waves Elliptical end pins.will let you know.

I've tried a Schallers, Dunlop, and Loxx. I always seem to go back to the stock strap buttons on all of my guitars, not just the PRS.

I've never had a problem with the stock buttons and I like the look of them better. Maybe it is a mental issue with seeing the Schaller unit on the end of the strap swinging towards the guitar that scares me.
    PRS Custom 24 Fender SRV Strat Fender Clapton Strat Gibson LP Studio Parker Fly Deluxe
    Egnater Tweaker Wampler Pedals
    I don't have a playing style unless you consider "freakin' hack" a style.

Schallers on almost everything.... Little lock smith graphite so they don't squeak.

Grolsh washer on the R9 because Schaller screws are the wrong size. There is a fix where you grind down a the stock screw head but I just haven't done it.

On the PRS the stock buttons are SO GOOD I haven't really messed with it. But when I get back to Gigging, I'll likeley put some Schallers on it.

Been using Schallers on all my electric guitars since the mid-90's.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    A little bit of effort goes a long way! Basically I wouldn't be complaining except for a couple of unfortunate surprises I've had when buying used.
    Changing out the strap buttons is a deal-breaker for me, too; same reason.

Schallers on all of mine w/the original PRS screw. Never suffered any damage having a strap pop off, but I've had it happen. Don't know what Gary Moore (Mother's Finest version) was using on his at Experience, but his strap popped off early in their set.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

DGT Club Vice President

yeah, I've downed some Grolsch beer....

mgd

DGTs