Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: NEWBIE...looking to buy 1995 CU24...need advise!!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19

    NEWBIE...looking to buy 1995 CU24...need advise!!!

    Hi there!

    im looking to buy this CU 24 ....looks to be a small heel, pre factory? Stamped 10 top.

    is $1750 too much to pay for this guitar?

    thanks in advance!!!

    brent








  2. #2
    Wheels cjmwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    338
    No, that is a good price for a used Cu24.
    BDR-529

  3. #3
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmwrx View Post
    No, that is a good price for a used Cu24.
    thanks dude.....is that a pre factory?

  4. #4
    Member CE-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    186
    That's a good price for a `95 Custom 24. If you like it go for it. The PRS operations moved from Annapolis to Stevensville in `95 and was up and running in `96, but probably the determining factor with your guitar being from the old factory or the new factory would be that neck heel. Yours is small so that would be considered from the old factory. Pre factory would be guitars built before 1985. Good luck!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by brentrocks View Post
    thanks dude.....is that a pre factory?
    Check out the PRS Lexicon thread, but basically, "pre-factory" are guitars made prior to serial number 5_0001, which would be some time in 1985.

    Everything else was made in a factory. There have been two factories.

    People misuse this term, and I know folks who think their post 1985 guitar is somehow "pre-factory." In fact, I produced a record for a band where the guitar player insisted his '95 CU24 was "pre-factory". I liked the guy, so I gave him my copy of The PRS Guitar Book, by Dave Burrluck. I figured he needed it more than I did. I'd send you my copy if he'd only give it back!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    Thanks guys!

    so they were using CNC machines in '95?

  7. #7
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    I decided to pull the trigger. Seemed like a good deal.

  8. #8
    Member CE-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by brentrocks View Post
    I decided to pull the trigger. Seemed like a good deal.
    If you bought it, it has not been removed as that guitar is on eBay right now. You might want to contact the seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/paul-reed-sm...item4d04fc4fbe

  9. #9
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by CE-man View Post
    If you bought it, it has not been removed as that guitar is on eBay right now. You might want to contact the seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/paul-reed-sm...item4d04fc4fbe
    thank you for the heads up....i just talked to him....i guess he has 2 ebay accounts, why he would post it 2 times, is beyond me? he says he is in the process of moving and selling off a lot of stuff.

  10. #10
    Member CE-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by brentrocks View Post
    thank you for the heads up....i just talked to him....i guess he has 2 ebay accounts, why he would post it 2 times, is beyond me? he says he is in the process of moving and selling off a lot of stuff.
    Okay, I'm glad you spoke to him. Ebay can be both the best and the worst of people.

    Nice score!

  11. #11
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    ill post "good" pics when it arrives and have a tone report too

  12. #12
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by brentrocks View Post
    Thanks guys!

    so they were using CNC machines in '95?
    Not sure when 1st CNC was used but before that it was the duplicarver which is the same idea as CNC, just less accurate and more prone to wear out. Both do the same thing for the most part.
    I think that's right anyhow, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

    Either way- great guitar! Nice buy!

  13. #13
    Member CE-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by brentrocks View Post
    Thanks guys!

    so they were using CNC machines in '95?
    I believe the Annapolis factory had duplicarvers and perhaps some CNC machinery but still used a fair amount of hand operation while the new factory has fully automated computer controlled CNC machinery that makes production fast, tolerances tight, and consistency high.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by CE-man View Post
    I believe the Annapolis factory had duplicarvers and perhaps some CNC machinery but still used a fair amount of hand operation while the new factory has fully automated computer controlled CNC machinery that makes production fast, tolerances tight, and consistency high.
    Yup, duplicarvers are just analog CNC machines that don't do the job as well, but there's still a ton of hand work even now.

  15. #15
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    I now have a tracking #...should be here Friday or Saturday

  16. #16
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Yup, duplicarvers are just analog CNC machines that don't do the job as well, but there's still a ton of hand work even now.
    Very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by brentrocks View Post
    I now have a tracking #...should be here Friday or Saturday
    Ohhhh, the agonizing wait!

  17. #17
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    Well i have the guitar and all is well....except for the nut, so it seems.

    when i use the trem most of the strings go sharp. i did lube the nut. am i doing something wrong? it is my first time with the old style locking tuners. it seems to me the strings are hanging up in the nut, i'm using 10s.

    any words of wisdom, before i go have a new nut put on this guitar?

  18. #18
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    Is it possible the phase 1 tuners are causing the tuning problems?

  19. #19
    Senior Member AP515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by brentrocks View Post
    Well i have the guitar and all is well....except for the nut, so it seems.

    when i use the trem most of the strings go sharp. i did lube the nut. am i doing something wrong? it is my first time with the old style locking tuners. it seems to me the strings are hanging up in the nut, i'm using 10s.

    any words of wisdom, before i go have a new nut put on this guitar?
    Congrats on a fine guitar. The tuners are probably not the problem. It's the nut or the trem. Make sure the trem is setting in the groove in the 6 screws holding it to the body and that it is level with the body and about a 16th of an inch from the body. If it still won't stay in tune it is the nut.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2003 Standard, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

    PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

  20. #20
    Junior Member brentrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    i decided to send into PRS for a complete setup, including a new nut

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •