Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Culling The Herd

Hybrid View

Culling The Herd

Jamie and I were talking about this a lot at X:PRS:2012. It seems a lot of people reach a point in life where they just let go of a bulk of their collection.

I am getting ready to do just that. Yes... seriously. And the result has been a little more Soul searching than usual.

From where I stand, it's all about managing money, "having enough", really playing what I have - getting to know the guitar completely, and no longer feeling like I need certain guitars in my house to be a part of a community. I am not the sum of my possessions. And knowing a lot about guitars does not make me a better guitar player. I want something more; something that can't be taken from me.

I'm a player that started collecting when my career took off. I lost my way for a little bit but started playing again about a year ago. I want to be a better player. I will never lose the collector bug but I am no longer content to own guitars that don't get played. But here's a dose of honesty... if I had the money to keep them all (which I don't), I probably would. So I'm thankful for things that push me out of my comfort zone; things that force me to stand on my own merit; opportunities that allow me to be more responsible for the benefit of my family.

Have you ever felt this way? Have you ever actually done it?

Discuss.
    One Life

Yep, been there done that. I had 27 guitars at one point, I'm now down to 9.

Quality over quantity now rules my world, and everything gets played regularly.

Like I told you, the realization hit me around age 50. Sure, the hunt was fun, but now what?

I still have waaay too many guitars, but it's a much more manageable number, and many more get played on a regular basis.

I'll still probably sell some more off as the years go buy...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Like I told you, the realization hit me around age 50. Sure, the hunt was fun, but now what?

I still have waaay too many guitars, but it's a much more manageable number, and many more get played on a regular basis.

I'll still probably sell some more off as the years go buy...

Jamie

I'll gladly babysit some for you
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

I've been through it. I am still in it to some degree but at a manageable level. I still have more guitars than I need. One acoustic and one electric is all you NEED. I have ones that I consider great; the ones I play and smile. When I see new ones I simply compare them to what I have and ask if I would give up one of my keepers to get it. The answer is usually no. If it is yes I start the process to trade or sell in order to buy the new one. This way the collection stays the same size but I slowly move up in owner satisfaction. In the mean time I work on becoming a better player.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

hey moderators...pretty sure this is NOT the party line!

*starts thread titled "A New Guitar For Every Month"*

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

Does it matter that my purchase of a new Private Stock is the impetus behind it all?
    One Life

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Does it matter that my purchase of a new Private Stock is the impetus behind it all?

So you went hard on the deal? I'll post my thoughts I started with you at the XPRS when I'm not on iPad typing with two fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buildermike View Post
    So you went hard on the deal?
    To hint at Paul's analogy, I'm a self-licking ice cream cone.
    One Life

Ha! Now comes the truth!

Sorry, Dude. Nullifies the whole "having enough, family oriented" culling thing. Becomes more of a "selling off stuff to buy another PS thing." See MA Pete for details and further instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Ha! Now comes the truth!

Sorry, Dude. Nullifies the whole "having enough, family oriented" culling thing. Becomes more of a "selling off stuff to buy another PS thing." See MA Pete for details and further instructions.
    Why ya gotta make me cry in front of all my friends, Dad?

In my defense, I offer my 1st post, 4th paragraph, 5th and 6th sentence.
    One Life

Why ya gotta make me cry in front of all my friends, Dad?

In my defense, I offer my 1st post, 4th paragraph, 5th and 6th sentence.
    Dude, this went from Ghandi to MA Pete, the two cannot be reconciled.

Then again, consider the good work MA Pete is doing supporting the entire PRS company (and maybe even UPS) in a tough economy at considerable personal expense!

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

LOL! I think to 30+ PRSi I've bought over the last decade or so absolve me of any sins...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    LOL! I think to 30+ PRSi I've bought over the last decade or so absolve me of any sins...
    Lightweight.
    One Life

Listen guys, whatever I can do to help! I'll tell you what, send the ones you are considering getting rid of to me. If you miss them and want them back, I will send them back. I won't even charge you for my services!

I've learned over the years that 2-3 electric guitars is the right number for me. One guitar usually becomes my solo voice for a period of time, another becomes a rhythm player, and I'll sometimes have a third, like a 12 string or hollowbody, just as an occasional alternative (I only have 2 right now). More than that, and I'm wasting time auditioning them for projects, and never really get to concentrate on learning most of them. And I've reached the point where guitar maintenance is kind of a pain.

And one acoustic guitar and I'm set.

The hunt is fun, who doesn't like shopping? And while I don't have the collector bug, I do understand the urge. But I think it's a matter of each of us finding our personal balance. And that's going to vary from person to person. For me, as I've said, I've found it.

Edit: Then again, just so James doesn't feel badly about the Party Line, I would like to point out that I periodically buy new ones and sell older ones when something great comes along.

I must be lucky that I only have one and I love it so much I really struggle daily to justify buying another
    I want one for drop-c, one for standard and a seven string (I could add an archtop for chilling out with)

I think ANYONE who has nice gear feels guilty/pressure to be steve vai, SRV *insert guitar hero* but if you have worked hard for your money enjoy the spoils

There is a good chance that I have too many guitars, but until my kids got their 4 years of university in that was not the case.
    Until I made a down payment on a house I bought a guitar every few years and sat at 5 for a long time - none of which I paid more that $1000 for.
    After the mortgage got whittled down I splurged on a PRS CU22 and shortly after that an HBII. This gave me get versatility and everything got played.

After the kids got a good bit of school under their belt, I might have got a bit silly, but they look great and sound great and if/when I retire, what would be more satisfying than playing whatever I want at any given moment, so I expect to keep them for a while yet.

Details Hans, we need details

And if it is an existing guitar, we'll need pictures too!

Congrats to going the PS route!

Wait for it....

WAIT FOT IT....
    One Life