Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: Culling The Herd

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    409
    I dunno. I haven't met anybody who actually thinks you "need" more than a couple of electrics and an acoustic. 9 out of 10 gigging guitarists around here that I know have just one (that they play out anyway...and maybe another one at home.) If finances are tight, and it's impacting family life, then of course spending on multiple guitars is silly. If you figure on loosing half of what you paid for stuff when you get rid of it, and you can live with that as the cost of having fun, no problemo. The price is in-line with most other non-essential hobbies even for a stupid amount of guitars.

    For me, I would never even thought of having more than my old SG and a strat for most of my life. Not that I'd have been against it, it just wouldn't have ocurred to me. Then came a work project which required getting a dozen or so Les Pauls of various configurations and various vintages (attempting to model differences, which turned out more or less to be a fool's errand.) Although, and not surprising, it was tough to demonstrate repeatable and measurable differecnes in these things, I found that I loved playing all of these different guitars. Getting to know and understand them as individual instruments. It was entirely an emotional reaction, and intellecually I understood that there wasn't any real difference in tone that would matter to anybody listening to me play in a live environment. But it was a ton of fun nonetheless. Then I was exposed to PRS (again, I blame work, but only tangentially in that case.)

    So, I have what I consider to be a stupid number of guitars, but they do get played. We gig a couple dozen times a year, and I try to rotate most of them in. And I lend some out. And I just have fun with it. That's my story and I'm stickiing to it! If I had to liquidate, I'd get by just fine with my old SG and strat.

  2. #42
    Senior Member MA Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    485
    Interesting discussion here!

    Quote Originally Posted by tdarian View Post
    I'm pretty certain that within one year it will be down to my R7, Korina McCarty, and a yet to determined Tele. And one, maybe two Redplate amps, tops, but they are tiny!
    That McCarty neck seems to have had less finish sanding than most W/F necks and it feels a bit thicker, measures .875 1st with a bit more shoulder, otherwise it would be as confused as my ME1, SC245, and other Korina Mccarty (Lollar Soaps). They are on the endangered species list.

    I could see this heading towards a singular guitar & amp. I'm only playing one at a time anyway these days. Maybe it's a sign of getting older....I hope MA Pete does not get this illness.
    Ha! Tom, I am pretty sure I will be okay with several guitars and amps for the foreseeable future.

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Ha! Now comes the truth!

    Sorry, Dude. Nullifies the whole "having enough, family oriented" culling thing. Becomes more of a "selling off stuff to buy another PS thing." See MA Pete for details and further instructions.
    Yes, I just sold my killer Wood Library Glacier Blue DC Ted, and I just bought another PS today. Case in point!

    So *my* "culling" is more taking my collecting to a higher level with the collection being centered around Wood Library Guitars and Special Runs to be centered around Private Stocks. In doing so, I have gone from about 10 to about 6 or so. 5-6 seems to be about the right number for me where I actually play them on a regular basis. If I don't play them, I tend to consider selling them to bring in something new to experience.

    I also have a plan to chill out on the craziness next year with my oldest headed off to college, but my plan and reality aren't yet aligning, my madness seems to be at an all-time high right now!

    Also when I have a wave of gigs going on, that seems to feed my appetite for new acquisitions. My band says I am like a woman who can't show up at two different parties being seen in the same dress, that each gig has to be with a new guitar. It's not entirely true, but it is close!

    I do feel the need for something with 408's, plan to spec another DC Ted out with 408's, and hopefully I can chill out a bit after that. Famous last words, we shall see.

    And related to this topic, I do have the desire to put less focus into GAS obsessing and gear, and more on playing and improving my skills, and enjoying the opportunities I have to play out with the band...
    Ted Club President

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by MA Pete View Post
    I also have a plan to chill out on the craziness next year with my oldest headed off to college, but my plan and reality aren't yet aligning, my madness seems to be at an all-time high right now!
    Congrats on having your oldest going off to school, Pete!

    I had the joy of putting my three through college, and the last one graduated 4 years ago (well, actually, one also graduated law school a couple years back!). Seeing them walk across that dais and get handed a degree is truly a defining moment in their lives - as well as yours.

    I'm sure you'd agree that it's a gift not only to your kids, but an investment in generations to come. Again, wonderful news!

    No matter how well you've planned this step (we did a very good job planning), you're still going to be pulling out your wallet for things you wouldn't have guessed would come up! Often!

    Quote Originally Posted by MA Pete View Post
    And related to this topic, I do have the desire to put less focus into GAS obsessing and gear, and more on playing and improving my skills, and enjoying the opportunities I have to play out with the band...
    I think eventually one reaches a point of simply being satisfied, or at the very least (especially in your case considering the PSes), no longer having an "up" to move to! So I'd guess it's part of the natural progression that you've reached a point where you pick the ones that you feel are the most satisfying for self-expression, and concentrate on the art of making music.

    Given the success you've had with your band in the competitions, I'd guess you're a very talented player, and music is one area where even the best can get better simply by increasing their skills and imagination!

  4. #44
    Senior Member MA Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Congrats on having your oldest going off to school, Pete!

    I had the joy of putting my three through college, and the last one graduated 4 years ago (well, actually, one also graduated law school a couple years back!). Seeing them walk across that dais and get handed a degree is truly a defining moment in their lives - as well as yours.

    I'm sure you'd agree that it's a gift not only to your kids, but an investment in generations to come. Again, wonderful news!

    No matter how well you've planned this step (we did a very good job planning), you're still going to be pulling out your wallet for things you wouldn't have guessed would come up! Often!
    Thanks! Right now it seems strange, to me she still feels so young, I don't want to let her leave the nest just yet! But of course she will, and she will do great...

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I think eventually one reaches a point of simply being satisfied, or at the very least (especially in your case considering the PSes), no longer having an "up" to move to! So I'd guess it's part of the natural progression that you've reached a point where you pick the ones that you feel are the most satisfying for self-expression, and concentrate on the art of making music.

    Given the success you've had with your band in the competitions, I'd guess you're a very talented player, and music is one area where even the best can get better simply by increasing their skills and imagination!
    For me I was very satisfied with the tones and playability of the Wood Library and Special Run guitars, best guitars I had ever owned, simply amazing.

    But the allure of the Private Stocks was quite strong for me (thanks to all the forum enablers!), both with dealer spec'ed pieces, and the opportunity to spec my own. The experience of spec'ing out my Jade Glow was awesome, and the result was amazing. The Earth guitar is great, cool to get something the dealer spec'ed as in the choices are more outside the box than I would do. My Earth guitar is not as "special" to me, as I did not create it, but at the same time it is very cool, things like the wacky Redwood top and the 20th birds, 5.5 pounds, all cool stuff. But the Jade Glow is like this amazing special gem that is the culmination of everything I have learned that I love after 4 years of insane PRSi consumption. It came out PERFECT, I would change a thing (except maybe the weight, but I think the heavy body is part of the off the hook tone!) That one is a lifetime keeper, whereas the Earth is not. (BrianC has declared strong dibs for the Earth!) The PS I bought today is another dealer spec'ed one, but a DC 245 so more in my main comfort zone, a very cool piece that will be disclosed next week. I also have the Obeche SC Ted in the oven, I have a feeling that is going to end up in the "very special/lifetime keeper" category with the Jade Glow.

    I consider myself to be both a player and a guitar collector/appreciator. When I say "appreciator" I mean in the gear, but also the tone and the ability to recreate tones that I hear in my head from a lifetime of listening to Rock and Roll Music. (Right now my current obsession is Paul Kossoff, killer lead and Rhythm tones, probably one of the most under-recognized guitarists in rock history...)

    I have historically considered myself an appreciator and collector first and a player second, but that is evening out as I joined my first band three years ago, and as that experience has forced me to progress as a player. I have been very fortunate that the band has been amazing, we get along great and have great mutual respect and friendship. Because we are a corporate band and as the VP of Sales I can tie the band in with our Marketing activities, we have had tremendous opportunities that bands don't typically get, such as the Fortune Magazine Battle of the Bands, competing in the event in 2010 and again here in 2012, making the finals and getting the great opportunity to play at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, twice. We have also had the opportunity to play at some great venues, BB Kings in Nashville for the Battle Semi's in 2010, Park West here in Chicago for the 2012 Semi's, and we have done some cool events in Las Vegas (the Venetian), Boston, and another one in a couple of weeks in Dallas, surrounding work and marketing the company. All this, in my first band? I am very fortunate. I am not sure how long the band will last beyond this year, as the bassist left the company a while back and thus far has stuck with the band, but who knows how sustainable all the work of the travel is, with everyone having day jobs and families. But I sure am enjoying it while it lasts!

    With regards to my skills, well, I believe I have progressed a lot in that department in the past four years, but I still consider myself a pretty average guitarist and musician. Good enough to credibly play in my current band, but my aspirations are to still improve a lot more so I have the opportunity to be wanted in the future for the next band attempt and whatever else the future may bring. I have a good instructor, but I don't think I have as much natural talent for guitar playing and music overall as others have (I didn't start until college, and took a decade or so off until 4 years ago) so it takes me a lot of work to improve, which is frustrating, but worth the effort.

    Also, if I am going to play insane Private Stock PRSi, I feel like I better have some skills worthy of these fine instruments, otherwise, what's the point?!?
    Ted Club President

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by MA Pete View Post
    Thanks! Right now it seems strange, to me she still feels so young, I don't want to let her leave the nest just yet! But of course she will, and she will do great...
    When my oldest went off a long way (U of California) my wife cried for weeks, every single day. I missed her, too. We eventually got used to it. My other two went to Michigan, closer to home. My wife still cried, and I still missed them both. But it's still a good thing when they go off to school!

    Where's your daughter headed?

    Quote Originally Posted by MA Pete View Post
    With regards to my skills, well, I believe I have progressed a lot in that department in the past four years, but I still consider myself a pretty average guitarist and musician. Good enough to credibly play in my current band, but my aspirations are to still improve a lot more so I have the opportunity to be wanted in the future for the next band attempt and whatever else the future may bring. I have a good instructor, but I don't think I have as much natural talent for guitar playing and music overall as others have (I didn't start until college, and took a decade or so off until 4 years ago) so it takes me a lot of work to improve, which is frustrating, but worth the effort.

    Also, if I am going to play insane Private Stock PRSi, I feel like I better have some skills worthy of these fine instruments, otherwise, what's the point?!?
    I started at close to college age on guitar, too. I started piano at 4. The way neural pathways of the brain develop, the kids with talent who start on an instrument before 12 have a huge advantage, and the rest of us almost never can catch up no matter our talent. At least, in terms of finger coordination, chops ability, etc. This is why I consider myself a keyboard player much more so than a guitarist. I have chops on keys I'll never have on guitar.

    But where we CAN catch up is in terms of the notes we choose, the melodies and phrasing, the creativity, the interpretive skills, and lots of other things. So those kinds of things, like writing an interesting part, or working with a great sound, are what I tend to concentrate on. Yes, I do try to improve my chops, too, but there's only so much you can do. And getting older means that your hands are also fighting natural aging processes. But your brain can still be a functioning creative tool, and ultimately that's what counts most!

    When I do sessions on other peoples' ads or projects, it's not for my speed licks, that's for sure. It's because I can come up with a good part or a cool texture idea. So it's all good!

  6. #46
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,158
    Quote Originally Posted by wilerty View Post
    Hans: I think we've heard this before from you ... we'll see ...
    The deed is done. 4 guitars were put on the block about an hour ago.

    I cannot express how hard it was to chose them over the others - or how hard it will be to box them up when they sell. In the end, I just cut the one's that were duplicated or largely unplayed.
    One Life

  7. #47
    I once had over 30 instruments now down to 17. I am considering just getting choice pieces vs alot of good players. You can only play one at a time and not all get in the rotation. G.A.S. can be an addiction.

  8. #48
    A♥ hoards guitars ♥A rugerpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    deep in the raspberry...
    Posts
    3,460
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    The deed is done. 4 guitars were put on the block about an hour ago.

    I cannot express how hard it was to chose them over the others - or how hard it will be to box them up when they sell. In the end, I just cut the one's that were duplicated or largely unplayed.
    This begs the question - WHICH block?

    Where is the best place to sell guitars these days? eBay? Consignment locally? Some other listing service?

    I don't think the answers will violate this forum's rules since no one is actually trying to sell HERE and I see talk of different vendors all the time.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance, but he's soooo missingpieces over them now!
    Lexicon sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

  9. #49
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,158
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    This begs the question - WHICH block?

    Where is the best place to sell guitars these days? eBay? Consignment locally? Some other listing service?

    I don't think the answers will violate this forum's rules since no one is actually trying to sell HERE and I see talk of different vendors all the time.
    True - I'm not selling here (or posting PSA's). But I don't want to dance too close to that line.

    In fact, this thread got a little sticky shortly after I posted it. Probably wasn't the best thread for me to start (considering where it leads) but everyone's been quite respectful of the rules so far. I'm not surprised by that - it's just a comment. This really has developed into a community of pleasant and thoughtful people.
    One Life

  10. #50
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,903
    Darn it Hans...why couldn't you have concluded this soul searching 24 hours ago! I just pulled the trigger on another guitar...and I've loved "extreme awesomeness" ever since I first saw it! Actually all 4 are amazing. The 89 was my screen saver for a long time. Best of luck with the sales though! I'm sure pieces like that will go quick

    Btw i did sell a PRS and an amp to fund my purchase...which I really typically don't do...(i think part of the reason why I sold it had to do with my recent home purchase...and my sense of financial responsibility in relation to what still lurks out there for me to potentially fix). I'm very careful with my guitar selection usually from the get go....and if it's not working in short order the guitar goes bye bye....with amps I'm very picky...and if they are good...and i am happy with the sound when I get it...once they are in I'm hesitant to swap or sell them...mostly because if I flip an amp when I get sick of the sound...I find that I buy the same model or something similar 6 months from now when I want to hear that sound again...for me it's more about having as complete of a sonic palette as I can justify...keeps my creativity flowing...and helps with my ADD. That being said...if I had to I could easily get by with a CE22 with dragons and a 5 way rotary and a single good flexible tube amp...


    Jut thought I would add...I tend to get pretty emotionally attached to some of my guitars...those I have never really contemplated selling....if it came down to my family or the guitars...well they would all be on their way...maybe with the exception of my first one.......which is the one that was stolen and recovered. (in reality my family trumps everything)
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 09-28-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    -Bob

  11. #51
    i don't know what you guys do for a living where you can afford so many gorgeous instruments but I must be doing something wrong. I waited 20 years to get the one I have lol. But I LOVE it.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
    i don't know what you guys do for a living where you can afford so many gorgeous instruments but I must be doing something wrong. I waited 20 years to get the one I have lol. But I LOVE it.
    It's actually really easy. Just cut back on non-essentials, like...well, here's a good example: food.

  13. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
    i don't know what you guys do for a living where you can afford so many gorgeous instruments but I must be doing something wrong. I waited 20 years to get the one I have lol. But I LOVE it.
    It already has been established on the Gear Page that you must be either a Doctor or a Lawyer to posess a PRS. Hans had developed the "Engineer exception rule" but it has not been formally accepted by TGP yet. If you are not a member of any of those professions, you must get a personal waiver from the factory to be eligible to purchase a new PRS. This is why the used market is so busy. Like Brazilian Rosewood being sent over the border, the checks and balances to make sure that the prospective owner meets the proper credentials are not as robust when buying "aftermarket guitars".

    You can email PRS customer service for a waiver, but I hear that there is a 4 to 5 year waiting list to be allowed to buy one. Ironically, the wait list is longer than the time required to complete law school, and about the same time as a decent medical education with internship. Coincidence??? I think not.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by MA Pete View Post
    My band says I am like a woman who can't show up at two different parties being seen in the same dress, that each gig has to be with a new guitar.
    Yeah, I'm getting this kinda thing from one of my bands as well.

    No one else in the band has the variety of gear that I do, guitars, amps or pedals.

    I've been using my new DGT's a lot over the gigs we've had in the last month or so, and they've noticed that I'm bringing them regularly... and tease me about it.

    I gave myself a "rule" that states, "If I don't gig a guitar for 6 months, I sell it."

    The DGT's are putting a number of guitars in play... including my former favorite PRS, a SC245 goldtop.

    I'm selling the goldtop today... I'm going to miss it, but it's just hard for me not to play the DGT's, as they are almost exactly what I would have wanted if I designed a guitar from scratch.

    I have both a "regular" and "standard", and both of them are amazing.

    It's probably only a matter of time before my favorite LP is going to be up for grabs... it's looking pretty bad for my SE PRS guitars as well. I may have to gig them soon, just so I can feel good about hanging on to them!

    M

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    296
    My wife has been dealing with aging parents for the last year or two and that's put some perspective on things. Seeing what she and her siblings are dealing with, in terms of their parents' accumulation of vast quantites of STUFF that the kids then have to deal with/dispose of has made me realize that I do not want to place that same burden on my own two kids. Even more so given that, while my wife and two of the three siblings live within 15 mins of the parents, and the other sibling is less than 2 hours away, my own kids live far from each other and far from me.

    So I've pretty much vowed that they will not have to deal with that except inasmuch as there are some instruments that they will want to have. Which means that at some point between now and, well, whenever, a lot of those beauties will be moving on. Line forms at the left...

  16. #56
    SuperD Boogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indy, IN
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    It already has been established on the Gear Page that you must be either a Doctor or a Lawyer to posess a PRS. Hans had developed the "Engineer exception rule" but it has not been formally accepted by TGP yet. If you are not a member of any of those professions, you must get a personal waiver from the factory to be eligible to purchase a new PRS...You can email PRS customer service for a waiver, but I hear that there is a 4 to 5 year waiting list to be allowed to buy one.
    I believe that the consensus (and unofficial census from Experience 2012) states that the IT field out-weighs the 'saw bones' and 'ambulance chasers'. NERDS UNITE!! PRS needs a new policy.

  17. #57
    Name Manglin' Putz alantig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,795




    Alan

    "I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

  18. #58
    Member Rosewoodsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    House on the Hill
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Jamie and I were talking about this a lot at X:PRS:2012. It seems a lot of people reach a point in life where they just let go of a bulk of their collection.

    I am getting ready to do just that. .
    I call Bull$hit to Hans!

  19. #59
    Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Posts
    5,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosewoodsteel View Post
    I call Bull$hit to Hans!
    I know, I know... I've said I was going to do this in the past and could't bring myself to follow-through.

    But the guitars are actively for sale elsewhere - as we speak. I don't like it, but it's happening.

    Nice to see you coming around more often, John!
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 10-01-2012 at 02:29 AM.
    One Life

  20. #60
    Senior Member Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    263
    I just sold five. Different interests. Different priorities.

    I still have several; I just thinned it down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •