Thread: What can you tell me about the Soapbars...?

What can you tell me about the Soapbars...?

Sniffing around for a nice used PRS, eyeing a few very nice Custom 24's, I really like the dramatic flamed/quilted top effect (violin burst). Here's a candidate (a Custom 22): http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ535112245

So what's with the soapbar pickups? I know zero about them, not really crazy about the look, at least on this guitar, but looks aren't the priority...

Cheers

It really depends on the sound you are looking for, all I can say for sure is I've got a SE245 Soapy and I absolutely LOVE it. The soapbars sound a little grungy and dirty, but a bit fatter than a normal single coil. I can't even imagine the possibilites with 3 of them instead of 2, I may be a little jealous.

North of the southern border, east of the western sea
    I like em a lot. I play a lot of different styles of music, and prefer Soapbars for clean to medium gain sounds. I'm not a huge fan of them at higher gain stuff, for that I prefer humbuckers. I particularly like Soapbars for brit pop, shoegazer, indie rock, and blues. Clean sounds are clear and full, low gain sounds are ballsy and clear without being harsh, and medium gain sounds are really dynamic and responsive. They come stock with Duncans, which are OK, but I prefer Lollars as they seem to be more responsive to playing dynamics and are a little clearer for chords.

Oh, and because TTIWWP's...

FWIW, this is what a perfect guitar looks like. Not the one above, the simple McCarty with moons below. It's absolutely magic - I pick it up and songs just come out. Forget the private stocks and modern eagles, this is the PRS I'd grab if the house was on fire.

Be.
    Do.
    Have.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Poo View Post
    I like em a lot. I play a lot of different styles of music, and prefer Soapbars for clean to medium gain sounds. I'm not a huge fan of them at higher gain stuff, for that I prefer humbuckers. I particularly like Soapbars for brit pop, shoegazer, indie rock, and blues. Clean sounds are clear and full, low gain sounds are ballsy and clear without being harsh, and medium gain sounds are really dynamic and responsive. They come stock with Duncans, which are OK, but I prefer Lollars as they seem to be more responsive to playing dynamics and are a little clearer for chords.

Oh, and because TTIWWP's...

FWIW, this is what a perfect guitar looks like. Not the one above, the simple McCarty with moons below. It's absolutely magic - I pick it up and songs just come out. Forget the private stocks and modern eagles, this is the PRS I'd grab if the house was on fire.

Agreed...I have a gold top McSoapy that is as simple as it gets, but screams when you want it to.

I honestly believe that the CU22 Soapbar is one of the coolest sounding guitars that PRS has ever made, and the one in your link is superb!

I had one for a number of years, as well as a few McCarty soapbar guitars. Just wonderful.

Clear, fat single coil sounds with attitude. The only issue is that as loud single coils, they can hum loudly, too, so you have to work out the right angle to stand at sometimes. But it's worth it.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Yep. Jump all over that one! The top is stunning. Soapies rock!

I'm all set to inherit one, and I've been trying to figure out how to off the old guy without getting caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I've been trying to figure out how to off the old guy without getting caught.
    "Your guitar or your life."

"Hmmmm...."

"I said, your guitar or your life!"

"Hmmmm..."

"What's with you, I said your guitar or your LIFE!!!"

"Don't rush me! I'm thinking it over." (In best Jack Benny voice).
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Thanks for the info, actually sounds like something I'd like.