Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: More Things To Love About The HX/DA

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Nope....Excellent overdriven tones at bedroom volume if you want....no compromise in tonal quality or overdriven gain at lower volumes whatsoever.
    My HX/DA is absolutely, positively, the best sounding low-to-moderate volume amp I've ever had in my studio. It's got a really useful master volume. And the gain control is extremely useful as well.

I can get enjoyable tones with it with the master on about nine o'clock, and I record with the master around 11 o'clock. At the 9 0'clock levels, you can actually hold a conversation at normal levels while playing, and not be drowned out by the amp. Even with the amp at 2 o'clock, I would call that a normal gig volume. Not horribly loud.

My only caveat is that one man's bedroom volume can be the next man's "OMG it's loud" volume. Since I don't know which guy you are, I'd hate to give an ironclad prediction that it will work for you, see you spend a lot of dough, and be wrong. You should try one, or buy from a dealer who has a return policy just in case.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    My only caveat is that one man's bedroom volume can be the next man's "OMG it's loud" volume. Since I don't know which guy you are, I'd hate to give an ironclad prediction that it will work for you, see you spend a lot of dough, and be wrong. You should try one, or buy from a dealer who has a return policy just in case.
    * Plus, the difference between what your personal bedroom level is and actual performance level with other instruments may vary...
    ~ Matt

PRS Custom 22 | PRS Stripped 58 | Jackson Soloist XL | HXDA Head and 2x12 Stealth Cab

It's interesting how opinions can vary from one person to the next. A while back I had a conversation with one of the guys at The Guitar Sanctuary, who sell a lot of PRS amps. They were very helpful and thorough, although they did warn me away from either an MDT or HX/DA, saying these amps were really only intended for live gigging volumes and are generally not well suited to home use.

I played an H a while back, which is also a 50 watt amp, and thought it sounded good at what I consider reasonable volumes. But those guys stressed that the 'H' is a different design and a different kind of amp, thus it's possible to get a much more overdriven tone at lower volumes. If the HX/DA can do that as well, then I'm tempted to try it. But opinions seem to vary on that question.
    Last edited by DM426; 03-12-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DM426 View Post
    It's interesting how opinions can vary from one person to the next. A while back I had a conversation with one of the guys at The Guitar Sanctuary, who sell a lot of PRS amps. They were very helpful and thorough, although they did warn me away from either an MDT or HX/DA, saying these amps were really only intended for live gigging volumes and are generally not well suited to home use.

I played an H a while back, which is also a 50 watt amp, and thought it sounded good at what I consider reasonable volumes. But those guys stressed that the 'H' is a different design and a different kind of amp, thus it's possible to get a much more overdriven tone at lower volumes. If the HX/DA can do that as well, then I'm tempted to try it. But opinions seem to vary on that question.

I own both the "H" combo and the HXDA head. Granted, my HXDA has the "Kitchen sink mods" which essentially allows twice the number of tones as the standard model. In any event, my HXDA sounds much better, relatively speaking, at low volumes compared to my "H". Here is Matt King of PRS Customer service, providing Doug Sewall's explanation of the "kitchen sink mods"...it is basically everything associated with the switch described below in bold:

Hi Bennett,

I talked with Doug and he given me the following description of functions (for the HXDA):

The switches on the back (he means the 3 "HX/DA switches that are in the front of mine) of the HXDA amp take the amp from a “bass” (DA) amp to a “lead” (HX) amp in incremental stages.

The first one changes a bypass cap value from brighter to fatter.
    The second one adds a bypass cap to the cathode follower circuit—with the cap is “lead” gain-wise without is “bass”.
    The third switch adjusts negative feedback. More negative feedback lowers gain and keeps the amp under control. Less adds harmonics and gain.

The series/parallel switch on back takes the two channels normally running parallel with each other (additive gain) and places them in series (multiplicative gain). It would be (circuit wise) similar to going from a plexi topology to a JCM 800 topology.

Matt King
    Paul Reed Smith Guitars

Edit....afterthought....I also own a custom MDT...the TGS 410-B which is basically an MDT in a 4X10 combo cabinet with some tweaks to the circuit to add a boost and a bright. This amp also sounds very good at lower volumes...much more "gainier" overdriven amp than either the HXDA or the "H"...even when the "H" is in Lead channel mode. Of all my PRS amps, my Sweet 16+ and my Dallas are the most anemic sounding at lower volumes. The "H" is somewhere in the middle. The MDT (410-B) and the HXDA exhibit the best overall tone, and maintain excellent sustain and crunch, at relatively low volumes. The HXDA can be played with the Master at 1 (1-to-10 scale), and as long as the HXDA gain and Bass gain are at least 6 (on a 1-to-10), you're gonna sound great with very low volume.
    Last edited by docbennett; 03-12-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Question about the name: HX/DA

Since DA probably refers to Duane Allman. I am wondering to what famous texan guitarist HX refers to?

Anyone has a guess?
    "Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

I don't think the HX refers to texan guitarist, I'm pretty sure it refers to Jimi Hendrix.

Here's were I got this... Listen from 3:20 on... Reference to Duane Allman is quite obvious but who's the texan is talking about?

Can anybody name this mystery texan guitarist?

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    Edit....afterthought....I also own a custom MDT...the TGS 410-B which is basically an MDT in a 4X10 combo cabinet with some tweaks to the circuit to add a boost and a bright. This amp also sounds very good at lower volumes...much more "gainier" overdriven amp than either the HXDA or the "H"...even when the "H" is in Lead channel mode. Of all my PRS amps, my Sweet 16+ and my Dallas are the most anemic sounding at lower volumes. The "H" is somewhere in the middle. The MDT (410-B) and the HXDA exhibit the best overall tone, and maintain excellent sustain and crunch, at relatively low volumes. The HXDA can be played with the Master at 1 (1-to-10 scale), and as long as the HXDA gain and Bass gain are at least 6 (on a 1-to-10), you're gonna sound great with very low volume.
    So overall, which amp has the better tones at low-mid volumes?

BTW, where is the 410-B available?

Banned
    So overall, which amp has the better tones at low-mid volumes?

BTW, where is the 410-B available?
    Brent at The Guitar Shop did a run of 12...I think he has one left. The HXDA has the best tone at low volumes, IMO..and that is not a knock against the others. It's a statement as to how well the HXDA does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Here's were I got this... Listen from 3:20 on... Reference to Duane Allman is quite obvious but who's the texan is talking about?

Can anybody name this mystery texan guitarist?
    He's referring to Eric Johnson no doubt, but the amp is named for Allman and Hendrix. EJ is known for using classic Marshalls as well.

Son, the HX/DA is a man's amp. One channel, not two, 50 watts of red hot glass crankin' out a tone that's big as...well...it's big.

Takes balls to play this amp. Decisiveness. Boldness. Carpe diem stuff.

Guys who buy this amp don't worry about low volume bedroom stuff. Because we're badass.

Ask Bennett. He and I are like Rambo and Superman, only meaner and tougher. And better looking. Ask our old ladies, who are the kind of women who only fall for badass, bad boy, types like us.

So go buy the H. We'll be here. Waiting to kick some tone booty.

(cue theme from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
    Last edited by LSchefman; 03-12-2013 at 09:58 PM.

He's referring to Eric Johnson no doubt, but the amp is named for Allman and Hendrix. EJ is known for using classic Marshalls as well.
    Ok then! Hendrix it is. Thanks Mr. Badass!

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Ok then! Hendrix it is. Thanks Mr. Badass!
    You're welcome.

And my ass is indeed really bad. I mean, you don't want to see it bad.

Keep also in mind that the original Marshall amp used to develop the 25th Anniversary (the basis for the HXDA) and the Hendrix tone was owned by Eric Johnson. So Junior may have been mixing his amp references.

Everyone's info has been very helpful. The big decision for me now is whether to order a 50 or 30 watt head. I like to run my tone like David Grissom where I get the majority of my dirt and overdrive from the amp and run a clean boost w maybe an overdrive as well. I've found w my DGT'S I can really clean up the amp w the guitar volume like he does. I currently run a couple Category 5 amps one of which I'm going to sell. Can a 30 watt HXDA do the trick in a small blues bar and on a larger outdoor stage, turning it down for studio work or do you think I should get the 50 if it can also do those things well? It's hard to decide, I want enough power but not so much I can't open it up. I've had a Super Dallas in the past and I had to really get it loud for the tones i wanted. Too loud for most of the bars/clubs I play. I'm unfamiliar w a good master volume since my Cat 5's use a voltage control/power scaling. I've read the master is quite useful in the new PRS amps and on the HXDA.
    Thanks guys for the help.

This amp is just too cool to pass up. I ordered one from Brian today, in the same colors as this 2 Channel H. I had them add the reverb option as well.

~5 weeks.
    Last edited by DM426; 03-13-2013 at 05:05 PM.

This amp is just too cool to pass up. I ordered one from Brian today, in the same colors as this 2 Channel H. I had them add the reverb option as well.

~5 weeks.
    Very cool! I am sure you made a good choice.

Guys who buy this amp don't worry about low volume bedroom stuff. Because we're badass.
    What? Did somebody say something? Hello? Is this thing on? All I can hear is this constant high pitched ringing noise...
    ~ Matt

PRS Custom 22 | PRS Stripped 58 | Jackson Soloist XL | HXDA Head and 2x12 Stealth Cab

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman23 View Post
    ...I like to run my tone like David Grissom where I get the majority of my dirt and overdrive from the amp and run a clean boost w maybe an overdrive as well. I've found w my DGT'S I can really clean up the amp w the guitar volume like he does....I've had a Super Dallas in the past and I had to really get it loud for the tones i wanted. Too loud for most of the bars/clubs I play...
    That's interesting hearing your experience. I too gig a Super Dallas and have to jockey the volume to keep from pissing off everyone involved. But...and this is a big but...depending on the stage type and venue acoustics, I find most of the bass (which is the real impact from the SD) drops off drastically after about 15 feet from the amp. The Stealth 2x12 never ice picks and never backhands the crowd with a laser beam. I couldn't be happier. And considering the number of musicians making comments, I'm inclined to think I'm on the right track. Obviously the results depend on the music you're playing, but for me, with a DGT Std and an SE One, the results are fantastic. I might also add that we self amplify the guitars and bass...only drums and vox thru the PA.

One last comment...I don't think the perceivable volume difference between a 30W and 50W amp (of similar design) is enough for people to notice. A cranked 30W is still pretty loud.

An aside comment on volume...It's interesting...it took me a while to figure out on the recording amp that there is a HUGE volume jump in the final range of the control...when you roll from 3/4's on the master to full tilt....wow night and day!...I originally thought the amp was a bit on the quiet side of 50 watts before I opened it all the way up aka DG style.
    -Bob