Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: More Things To Love About The HX/DA

What are you guys running for Reverb? Les I'm sure you are using some sort of studio magic...I'm specifically talking pedals though and for a live setting. Anybody found one that plays nicely with the HX/DA and actually sounds good?
    -Bob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    What are you guys running for Reverb? Les I'm sure you are using some sort of studio magic...I'm specifically talking pedals though and for a live setting. Anybody found one that plays nicely with the HX/DA and actually sounds good?
    I use the EHX Cathedral for reverb on my HX/DA with excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by docbennett View Post
    I use the EHX Cathedral for reverb on my HX/DA with excellent results.
    Thanks. Appreciate the answer. It's one of the things I have been hung up on about picking an HX/DA up. I've been thinking of a backup to my recording amp...I want it similar but not exactly the same. I figured the HX/DA was a good choice as long as it played well with a reverb pedal. I have plenty of amps in my arsenal I could use as a backup...however if the Recording Amp goes down in the middle of a gig I want to be able to go to a very similar sound rather than dramatically altering the mix.

My two amps that I have been going back and forth with lately are The Recording Amp and my Supro MoFo proto. I love them both but they are very different sounding. I guess I am probably being too picky...the audience I'm sure has no clue.
    -Bob

Bob, you're right in my case; for reverb I generally use the Sonnox. But I've been taking a long look at the Strymon Flint for tremolo and reverb just to futz around with. What I don't know yet is how noisy it is when the gain is turned up on the amp. That will be the determining factor.

From every review I have found on the Strymon Flint it seems it is very clear and crisp no matter how you use it... I will be finding out shortly as it is the next piece of gear I'm picking up for the new rig.

Here's a demo by Pete Thorn:

~ Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Son, the HX/DA is a man's amp. One channel, not two, 50 watts of red hot glass crankin' out a tone that's big as...well...it's big.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekunda View Post
    From every review I have found on the Strymon Flint it seems it is very clear and crisp no matter how you use it... I will be finding out shortly as it is the next piece of gear I'm picking up for the new rig.
    Yup, it's a great product. The only thing I need to find out is the noise floor. I've been saving a spot on the board for one!

Picked up the Flint today... didn't get time to plug it up yet, I'm hoping to spend some time with it tomorrow after work. I also played an NF3 today... wow! those things sound amazing!
    ~ Matt

Son, the HX/DA is a man's amp. One channel, not two, 50 watts of red hot glass crankin' out a tone that's big as...well...it's big.

I may be tone deaf, but I've had a Boss FRV-1 forever, and I've never been motivated to look any farther. Do you guys find that the fancy-pants reverbs sound better? Maybe I need to re-think this. I'd hate to think that there was some aspect of tone that I could be spending more money on and I'm completely unaware of it

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
    I may be tone deaf, but I've had a Boss FRV-1 forever, and I've never been motivated to look any farther. Do you guys find that the fancy-pants reverbs sound better? Maybe I need to re-think this. I'd hate to think that there was some aspect of tone that I could be spending more money on and I'm completely unaware of it
    Don't forget the pixie dust!!! I always pay up for mine!
    -Bob

I think it's all about what YOU are looking for in a reverb... I went to several sales sites and made a list of available reverb pedals, then went to YouTube to see what they all sounded like and what else they did. I believe I found the pedal I was looking for to suit the type of music I will be using it for. (Blues and classic rock) Since the HX/DA does not have any reverb, I thought the Strymon Flint would be a great compliment to the amp as it is very clean and high quality, plus it is true bypass. It also gives me a great sounding tremolo at the same time.

In the end, it is all personal preference and choice. What one of us hears in a product, someone else may not. If it gets the job done... mission accomplished! And besides... in a gear junkie who just started over from scratch. I need a new collection of goodies
    ~ Matt

Nothing wrong with the FRV-1. Reverbs do tend to have different sounds, digital ones especially, since the algorithms programmed into them are different, take different factors into account, and everything from the chips used to the parameters the controls affect will vary quite a bit.

So it's often a question of what you want the reverb to do; do you want to emulate the metallic and somewhat compressed quality of an old spring reverb? Do you want the reverb to be spacious and simulate a large hall? etc. No reverb pedal is equally good at all things.

Frankly, I prefer a delay pedal to reverb. But with certain styles - say, blues and surf - a little reverb that sounds like it's part of the amp can add authenticity to a sound.

Peavey used to make a pretty good single-rackspace spring reverb that was completely analog; I had one for a while, and don't anymore, but it was authentic sounding at the time. This was in the 90s.

Of course, studio stuff used in a mix track can be awesome, but it's going to have a different vibe than something used ahead of the amp, or in a loop.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 12-13-2012 at 09:49 AM.

I think it's all about what YOU are looking for in a reverb... I went to several sales sites and made a list of available reverb pedals, then went to YouTube to see what they all sounded like and what else they did. I believe I found the pedal I was looking for to suit the type of music I will be using it for. (Blues and classic rock) Since the HX/DA does not have any reverb, I thought the Strymon Flint would be a great compliment to the amp as it is very clean and high quality, plus it is true bypass. It also gives me a great sounding tremolo at the same time.

In the end, it is all personal preference and choice. What one of us hears in a product, someone else may not. If it gets the job done... mission accomplished! And besides... in a gear junkie who just started over from scratch. I need a new collection of goodies
    Oh, I wasn't being critical at all. I was just snarkily wondering if I was missing some boat regarding reverb. I'm as much a gear whore as anybody, but I just haven't thought about reverb very much, and now that I think about it, I guess I'm seriously asking about the differences that you guys hear in different reverbs. I'm sure that there is a whole set of arts and sciences on the subject. Off to look at demos now to see if I can educate myself......

Nothing wrong with the FRV-1. Reverbs do tend to have different sounds, digital ones especially, since the algorithms programmed into them are different, take different factors into account, and everything from the chips used to the parameters the controls affect will vary quite a bit.

So it's often a question of what you want the reverb to do; do you want to emulate the metallic and somewhat compressed quality of an old spring reverb? Do you want the reverb to be spacious and simulate a large hall? etc. No reverb pedal is equally good at all things.

Frankly, I prefer a delay pedal to reverb. But with certain styles - say, blues and surf - a little reverb that sounds like it's part of the amp can add authenticity to a sound.

Peavey used to make a pretty good single-rackspace spring reverb that was completely analog; I had one for a while, and don't anymore, but it was authentic sounding at the time. This was in the 90s.

Of course, studio stuff used in a mix track can be awesome, but it's going to have a different vibe than something used ahead of the amp, or in a loop.
    Well then, that's my problem. When I think "reverb", I think of the sound that you get out of a Twin Reverb, so whatever that springy thing bolted on the bottom does is all I know. I do know that my cheapy Boss reverb sounds weird in front of the amp if there is any gain to speak of at the amp (which is often how I have the HX/DA set up...with decent amount of gain...) I have what is "supposedly" the "best" reverb on the planet built in to my Two Rocks Overdrive Signature. I don't know....sounds like my Boss reverb to me. The built-in reverb does sound great with gain tones in the Two Rock, but I've always just assumed that that's because it's at the right point in the chain (I'm usually too lazy to run the Boss through the loop on amps that have a loop...) I tend not to use reverb playing live anyway, mainly just because I'm hesitant to use anything that muddies the mix. Except for cheesey demo clips, I don't record much, so I guess it hasn't been top of mind.

In any case, I'm interested enough now that I'm going to look into it. Probably end up convincing myself that I need a new pedal. And I'll have you bums to thank for it...Thanks for nothing!!!!!

The built-in reverb does sound great with gain tones in the Two Rock, but I've always just assumed that that's because it's at the right point in the chain (I'm usually too lazy to run the Boss through the loop on amps that have a loop...
    I'd have to agree that the TRs have great reverbs. Partly its where it is in the chain, and partly it's a really good reverb circuit. But like you, I didn't use reverb much with my TRs, maybe just a touch here and there.

I'd honestly say that if you like the 'verb you get with the Boss, why re-invent the wheel?

In any case, I'm interested enough now that I'm going to look into it. Probably end up convincing myself that I need a new pedal. And I'll have you bums to thank for it...Thanks for nothing!!!!!
    Haha! Now you know how we feel!

The whole "YOU" just meant the individual user... I'm used to having a little reverb, so playing without kinda scares the hell out of me.

If anyone is interested, here is a review on said pedal from Premiere Guitar:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...al_Review.aspx
    ~ Matt

Yeah it's using reverb into the front of an amp that's all gained up that causes the concern for me...I have no problem using reverb in a loop...it's when I'm faced with an amp like the HX/DA or my Supro where I want to use the amp's gain and the reverb. I've had a Line6 Verbzilla and the TCE...they both sounded crappy into the front of a gained up amp. With the Recording Amp I have the built in reverb which is just amazing...I know I can order an HX/DA with a loop...Weiner's old one had it but I hate messing with a circuit if I don't have to. Loops in my experience seriously alter tone.
    -Bob

So yeah... I forgot how to dial a new tube amp since I had the last one for so long. Der. You have to make the power tubes hot to get the grail tone. I think I found my happy place today with the HX/DA. I went back and watched the demo vids with Paul and remembered that they had the master all the way up for those tones. Now that's a little loud for the house, but I got it over 1/2 way up and backed off the guitar. Wow, what a big difference in tone quality... Yes, I believe I'm going to LOVE this amp.
    ~ Matt

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoonsRJT View Post
    Yeah it's using reverb into the front of an amp that's all gained up that causes the concern for me...I have no problem using reverb in a loop...it's when I'm faced with an amp like the HX/DA or my Supro where I want to use the amp's gain and the reverb. I've had a Line6 Verbzilla and the TCE...they both sounded crappy into the front of a gained up amp. With the Recording Amp I have the built in reverb which is just amazing...I know I can order an HX/DA with a loop...Weiner's old one had it but I hate messing with a circuit if I don't have to. Loops in my experience seriously alter tone.
    I honestly don't think gain and reverb go well together sonically, even when there's a loop. The higher the gain - to my ears - the tighter and more focused the sound becomes, and the less I want to hear the metallic clang of a spring reverb. All a digital reverb does is diffuse the sound, the opposite of what you're going for. If there's reverb to be heard, I want it to be the room, or a reverb unit on the mixer's send and return on a mixing desk if artificial reverb is necessary.

As the gain goes up, and the amp starts clipping, remember that you're creating square waves, like a saxophone. It's a tight, raw, bubbly sound. Saxes don't need reverbs. Neither do gained up amps.

So yeah... I forgot how to dial a new tube amp since I had the last one for so long. Der. You have to make the power tubes hot to get the grail tone. I think I found my happy place today with the HX/DA. I went back and watched the demo vids with Paul and remembered that they had the master all the way up for those tones. Now that's a little loud for the house, but I got it over 1/2 way up and backed off the guitar. Wow, what a big difference in tone quality... Yes, I believe I'm going to LOVE this amp.
    Yeah. You got it now. Use the volume controls on the guitar, and you can control everything.

The HX/DA is a real, old school amp. The grail tones are in there. Keep experimenting, and the more you will love it.

Question for you LSchefman, have you thought about using an attenuator to get a better sound out of your HX/DA without all the volume? I really like the sound of the cranked amp, but my neighbors might not appreciate the quality of it. I have never used one before but I'm thinking about at least trying one out to see if it gives me that great tone at a lower volume. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    ~ Matt

Banned
    Before Les gets a chance to chime in...let me say that with the HX/DA..... the master volume WORKS. You can get fantastic tone at bedroom volume with this amp, and you don't need an attenuator at all.